Keeping In Tune With The 4500

dirtman

On 2/9/2020 at 8:07 PM, Gold Hound said:

I did look at other transmitters but I wanted the speaker as its WAY to hot where we are working to wear headphones and we prospect for a living so the extra cost is negligible to us.

Amber more than payed for the whole setup on the first day with her finds anyway.

Understood.  Just putting the alternative out there for other folks considering wireless setups. You have obviously made your decision so it wasn’t directed at you, specifically, but at the hobbiest detectorist where a $200 US cost delta is not ”negligible”.  Speaker setups can easily be accommodated as well at basically the same cost (just plug in a speaker to the headset and use the headset as a receiver) and may be more cost effective for non-professional, non-prospecting uses such as historic relic hunting in the US.  The cost of the pro sonic system is often simply hard to justify in the face of these other equally capable home-brew and purpose built setups like Quest. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, phrunt said:

Thanks, That's a nice cover.  One of the things that bothered me the most with the 4500 was being tethered to it with the cords everywhere.  It's performance is great, especially with a spiral wound coil.

My GPZ came with a 4500 battery cover like that as an optional accessory to put on it's pro swing, I was going to try learn how to sew and stitch it onto my existing GPX cover.   I was always getting the battery cord tangled up on bushes as I walked through them.

Interesting your settlings with the Stabilizer on 1... I'd never tried that.  Last time I used mine I had the gain on 15, stabilizer at 10 from memory in sensitive extra with my threshold off, man was it sensitive to shotgun pellets with the 10" spiral X-coil in that setup.  I was shocked at how well it was performing, shortly after I got the GPZ so I haven't used the GPX since although I'll still use it sometimes, I've got a great selection of coils for it and it has its uses that's for sure.   I would struggle to ever sell it, it's an old Aussie made one too, a bit wild but I've heard countless times people say the old Aussie ones are deeper but noisier.

Try with a sensitivity of 1and 3......and find real small gold.....

MVIMG_20200301_212339-01.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Nice nugs, Manny!

I, too, live in AZ. The desert is beautiful right now. I'm headed to the Quartzite area on Thursday for a few days and I'm going to play with the stabilizer settings a bit because of your posts. Having the stabilizer set as high as 1 or 3 ( remember a 1 is a very high setting= more filtering. A 12 would be less stabilizer) seems counter intuitive for those tiny nugs to break the threshold... especially at depth. I have always gone with the conventional wisdom that the least stabilizer ( higher number) that you can get away with the better. Thanks for your posts on the 4500. I love mine. I have been very successful with it and the various sized Evo coils.

Dean

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bado1 said:

Nice nugs, Manny!

I, too, live in AZ. The desert is beautiful right now. I'm headed to the Quartzite area on Thursday for a few days and I'm going to play with the stabilizer settings a bit because of your posts. Having the stabilizer set as high as 1 or 3 ( remember a 1 is a very high setting= more filtering. A 12 would be less stabilizer) seems counter intuitive for those tiny nugs to break the threshold... especially at depth. I have always gone with the conventional wisdom that the least stabilizer ( higher number) that you can get away with the better. Thanks for your posts on the 4500. I love mine. I have been very successful with it and the various sized Evo coils.

Dean

yeah I use my stabilizer on 4, sometimes 3 ...... and the Gain on 10 to 12 according to what the ground can handle, but the steelPhase enhancer can possibly be also helping with stabilizing. The NF coils are more stable compared to Minelab and coiltek coils ( Minelab and Coiltek run hot) only my opinion from past expiriences.

• Like 1