phrunt

Took The Newly Modified Gold Bug Pro On A Coin Hunt

I had never really used my GBP for coin hunting before but on a recent camping trip my Nox ran out of battery at a bad time and my wife was using my T2 so I was left with my Gold Bug to use.  I was in a place where ground balancing was needed occasionally and I also like to flick between All metal and Disc mode often but it's terribly annoying to do that on the GBP so I decided I'd get around to modding it when I got back with a switch to make life easier.  I only found a dollar coin using the GBP that afternoon but we had already virtually cleaned up the area.

You'l find the story on the Gold Bug Mod here

Seeing I've now got my GBP modded I wanted to take it for a test run, the weather was rainy today but I had a job to do near a lakefront beach area I had a feeling would be worth detecting due to how busy it gets in summer so I put my GBP in the car.

I put my 11" coil on it, first time I've ever used it as I bought my GBP to be a prospecting machine.

20181025_195906.jpg.a2f6500aa2dd4627defd8d9299000c4e.jpg

Seems a decent coil for covering ground but feels nose heavy to me, I'm not used to the coil having a large front with the shaft mount near the rear.

20181025_195824.thumb.jpg.6de4ed819d820943b1508fb6fe7536b6.jpg

It was a quick 1 hour hunt due to the weather and I had no idea about what Target ID number is what on the GBP as I mostly use the Nox.  I remembered 78/79 is the NZ gold coins on the T2 and with the GBP having the same numbers it helped find a couple of gold coins, other than that I was just digging stable target ID's.

20181025_200207.thumb.jpg.dd48efdc2ed1dd0f29a293b2e8971f37.jpg

My total haul, not bad for a small amount of time.

20181025_200333.jpg.ed0fa3b93b538b23a43211777e6fe2b5.jpg

I got a few older coins, one of them American but it looks like the surface is rubbed off, I can't see a date on it.

20181025_200351.thumb.jpg.801291b0cc6625273ea14865b6319fe1.jpg

Not a bad hunt for the time I spent on a detector I'm not overly used to using for coin hunting.  My new switch is great, a real time saver.  A good bit about living in a tourist hotspot is all the foreign coins to be found.  The Queenstown area has about 30,000 people living in it and gets over 3 million tourists a year.

• Like 8

US Buffalo nickel?  You almost beat me to it (found 3 this summer but only one with a date).  They were quite vulnerable to the loss of date as yours shows.  There is a chemical (Ferric Chloride?) which will pull out a ghost view of the date, but even if a rare one it would still have no numismatic value.  See if there is a mintmark (-D or -S) on the reverse under and between the E and C in "FIVE CENTS".

Is that Shilling silver?  Where is it from?

• Like 2

Gold bug does good work for a coin shooter if you have the patience.  Never used a  GB2 though so I find it interesting.  Seeing that buff was a suprise outside of the US.  Never fails to surprise me what a simple switch can do for some detectors.

• Like 2

I looked up the shilling, its from UK, but I believe in the early days NZ was using UK currency for some time.  I've found a number of old UK coins here now, mostly pennys.  It's 92.5% silver and 5.65 grams!

https://www.allcoinvalues.com/united-kingdom/1906-uk-shilling-value2c-edward-vii.html

I thought the US coin with the buffalo was of no value being 5 cents, it didn't appear to be silver and now I've looked it up I see they can be worth a bit but they had a habit of losing their date due to poor design, mine is a victim of that, it doesn't even have a mint mark! It's old though and tourism wasn't near as big back then as it is now so it's still an unusual find.  I looked up a photo from 1872 of the area and it still had quite a number of hotels, some old ones still stand today, one of which on the lakefront has rooms for $10,000 NZD ($6500 USD) a night

img_queenstown-historical-society-queenstown-community-blog-anthony-trollope-1872-1.thumb.jpg.7ce3ffc69e59f8f9d576a02bb6e204bb.jpg

Just behind the jetty in this photo from 1872 you'll see a hotel.  This is it today

628167594_queenstownbay.jpg.62410b114d08c3b11f0564fe0108f23a.jpg

eichardts-private-hotel.thumb.jpg.30cedebec055f4972a48c89c7290d73a.jpg

That beach in front of the old hotel on the left is the main beach in town, it gets very busy.  Looks like they took this photo on a bad weather day so the beach was empty.

0026+12+25+Christmas+on+the+Beach+copy.J

I've detected the living daylights out of that beach late at night, bottle tops and pull tabs everywhere and you can see why from this photo with the tourists all sitting around drinking but some finds were made mostly coins.  In town it's hard to find a local, far more tourists than locals even running all the shops are tourists on VIsas.... locals are usually outnumbered 3 to 1 so finding foreign coins seems just as easy as local ones ?

Even the airport existed for tourists back in the time of the US Buffalo coin

img_old-grandstand-survives-beside-frankton-airport-queenstown-blog-1.thumb.jpg.e8e20bfa85ea4361acdaf80ab124fdf5.jpg

These coins weren't found on that main beach, I've cleaned it up now, they were further down on another popular stretch of lakefront that I hadn't done before.

• Like 6

Despite the wear on that Buffalo, it is in very good shape. The ones that I have found here are very pitted. That beach looks like a very good one to detect, maybe a headlight.

Norm

• Like 2

1 hour ago, normmcq said:

Despite the wear on that Buffalo, it is in very good shape. The ones that I have found here are very pitted. That beach looks like a very good one to detect, maybe a headlight.

Norm

Thanks, I guess it's spent its life on the banks of a freshwater lake and the lake is said to be extremely pure.  From a Lonely Planet article.. 

If the water looks clean, that's because it is. Scientists have rated it as 99.9% pure – you're better off dipping your glass in the lake than buying bottled water.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/new-zealand/queenstown/attractions/lake-wakatipu/a/poi-sig/1479576/362741

I guess the other .1% is fish poo ?

• Like 2

This maybe interesting to some and explains why I keep finding these very old British coins in NZ

https://www.rbnz.govt.nz/notes-and-coins/coins/history-of-new-zealand-coinage

I now need to find a Gold Sovereign ?

I love these old TV advertisements when the currency changed over to dollars and cents.

This is also an awesome watch for those interested in the change-over to decimal currency in NZ and how it was done

• Like 2

On 10/26/2018 at 1:54 PM, phrunt said:

I guess the other .1% is fish poo ?

And jet boat & motor boat fuel/oil residue of which I contributed yesterday. :unsure:

JW :smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1