Adapter To Run Sun Ray Pro Gold Headphones

Rick73

2 hours ago, Alluminati said:

That 1/4" phone jack is was designed in 1877. 1877. Unlikely a plot to make you buy their cans.

If I am wrong, fine it's just that so far it's only homemade headphones that I have heard about having problems, again correct me if I'm wrong.

8 hours ago, Alluminati said:

So what is the problem?, you still haven't explained yourself clearly.

Why don't you complain to Sunray about their weird headphone wiring?

There is a technical difference the way a 1/4 jack can be wired. It can be wired to just mono, it can be wired to just stereo, it can be wired to do both. This is in conjunction with the circuit to disconnect the audible speaker when the headphone jack is plugged in. 

Minelab took it upon themselves to wire their detector out of the normal. QUALITY headphones such as Black Widows, Sunray, Rattlers and others will NOT work because of how Minelab wired their headphone circuit. This is NOT a headphone problem. It is a Minelab MFG problem.

Dave

• Like 1

Tough call, as if they wire it special for metal detector headphones, are we to assume they wouldn't work with the type of headphones you can get at Bestbuy etc.

I suppose as it's an international product, they went with convention rather then the headphones that are for the most part accessible to north Americans only, for the most part. 

I was kinda happy that I could just plug in my headphones from the Deus etc and that I don't have to buy proprietary headphones, aside from the waterproof aspect.

Ok, I have Sunray Pro Golds and they work with my WM08.  Here is the ($5 US) adapter I use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000068O6B/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Pro Golds have two switches on the earcup where the cord is attached.  I put both in the 'up' position.  That gives the highest volume.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2018 at 10:13 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

The Equinox is wired just like the CTX 3030 and GPZ 7000 so none of this is new. A cheap mono to stereo adapter solves the problem

Many of us who hunt the beach Steve do not want another adapter to keep salt free. What about extra impedance in-line?  I like my Salt Water set-up to be as clean as possible which usually means trouble free. 

Since I never owned a 3030 or GPZ it was new to me. With no explanation from Minelab and flying 1200 miles  not being able to use my machine was not a pleasant experience.

Dave

1 hour ago, midalake said:

Many of us who hunt the beach Steve do not want another adapter to keep salt free. What about extra impedance in-line?  I like my Salt Water set-up to be as clean as possible which usually means trouble free. 

Since I never owned a 3030 or GPZ it was new to me. With no explanation from Minelab and flying 1200 miles  not being able to use my machine was not a pleasant experience.

Dave

I get that Dave - that’s why I posted the information for you. My comment about it not being new for Minelab was simply because that is a fact, not a slam on anyone. I am sorry you had a bad experience. I agree Minelab could communicate many things better.

i have more information on the subject I will post this week but I just got home from some very long travels and need to get rested up and back in the groove.

• Like 1

You can all save yourself grief by getting the right headphones. I have been using the Sun Ray Pro Gold CTX version for years. They are wired to work with anything and they do, including Equinox. I never have issues like the one that caused this thread.

https://www.sunraydetector.com/sun_ray_pro.html

sun-ray-pro-gold-ctx-settings-switch.jpg