Finally got in the water today.  Hey I like my changes. Having it set to 20in the second bin makes it sound more like the high false u get off say nails.   The 13 for quarters makes the really stand out and LARGER.  No down side that I notice

5 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Wonder why their ringing in at that TID range?  I don't recall that phenomena before the firmware upgrade? 

Not sure of the answer or that I can confirm if the upgrade has anything to do with it either.  What I do know is that it is running smoother and with less falseing overall so IMO the upgrade made a positive difference.  Coin shooting at old fair grounds and one room school sites in the area is a pleasure, meaning it has pretty much taken ferrous out of the equation compared to when I first got the machine but that could also have to do with use and being more familiar with the detector as well.

4 minutes ago, Jackpine said:

Not sure of the answer or that I can confirm if the upgrade has anything to do with it either.  What I do know is that it is running smoother and with less falseing overall so IMO the upgrade made a positive difference.  Coin shooting at old fair grounds and one room school sites in the area is a pleasure, meaning it has pretty much taken ferrous out of the equation compared to when I first got the machine but that could also have to do with use and being more familiar with the detector as well.

I'm hunting in field2.  I think I'll set it back to factory defaults before detecting again and see if that helps, but those axe heads sound so nice, solid TID, etc - lol   What's odd is I could totally understand if they were coming in the high 30's as it would be iron wrap-around, but coming in a pull-tab range is very odd IMO.  My Nok/Mak machines also seem to love iron tools, but they usually bang in the penny/dime TID range.   I'm definitely not looking for iron tools, their interesting, but just not what I need to be lugging home.  Wonder if field1 would be any different?  What search mode are you using at your logging camp?  

I'm using field 2 as well at the camps but have switched to using park 2 primarily at most other sites. I might give park 2 a try there next time I'm out that way.  I'm fighting a cold and the northern Mich weather at the moment however.

Now that our daughter is five months old, I'm inching back into some detecting time after effectively taking late spring and the summer off.  I need to refresh my Equinox knowledge, maybe one of the other search modes will false less on iron tools. 

Good thing for me to test out on the next hunt, hopefully this weekend.  

• Like 1

For the beach! I am still wondering WHY I would want more then one tone? If it is out of the "ferrous" area and repeats, DIG IT.  There is still lots of information that can be garnished from every signal by hunting in one tone like: Size, depth, length, and then comparing every signal in the same tone.  Convince me otherwise!  Dave

2 hours ago, midalake said:

For the beach! I am still wondering WHY I would want more then one tone? If it is out of the "ferrous" area and repeats, DIG IT.  There is still lots of information that can be garnished from every signal by hunting in one tone like: Size, depth, length, and then comparing every signal in the same tone.  Convince me otherwise!  Dave

I hunted a tot lot this weekend and decided I would dig anything that gave a non-ferrous reading.  I switched over to 2 tone, and I get it.  If it beeps, dig it.  I found a few pieces of junk jewelry that probably wouldn't have warranted a pinpointer had I been in 50 tones as I normally hunt.  In a tot lot, I don't mind picking through bits of foil and trash because it is easy recovery in the wood chips.  I found a pocket full of clad which made the day a moderate success, and had there been any gold or silver in the chips, I'm confident I would have found them.  The only downside to 2 tone for this type of hunting is... the play structure sounds like every other diggable tone, so a tight swing pattern is key.  In 50 tone, I am somewhat able to hear the different tone of the structure, but then again, it masks targets close to the structure anyway.  all even.  BTW, the 6" coil is much easier to manage in those tight quarters (no pun intended) than the 11".  ~Tim.

The problem.... if you want to call it that, with using 2 tones to me seems to be you have to select the tone you want to hear.   That single tone..... includes falsing tones now.  Im sure its also and individual hearing thing.... but to me the very high tones .... like 25 makes the targets sound  little.... not weak... just little.   I like two tones in the water...... but 5 tones now that ive switched it around seems to work well with low digits sound like iron false on other machines...... higher pitch.  I noticed the same thing on say sun glasses or cans..... changing the high digit bins to 13 really makes cans larger now...... and i catch deep dimes and quarters easier that might have just given a short high pitch before.   Hunting in AM if you are digging it all out there it doesnt take long to learn junk jewelry like earrings.   

The Nox has a good sized coil HALO so working in tight areas like tote lots would be tricky. 

• Like 1

On 10/30/2018 at 11:53 AM, dewcon4414 said:

changing the high digit bins to 13 really makes cans larger now...... and i catch deep dimes and quarters easier that might have just given a short high pitch before

Dew, so did you set the non coin signals to a high tone, to make them sound smaller?  I definitely noticed the "size" difference with a tone 25 that you mentioned.  

The beauty is that the bins and tones can be pretty easily tailored to each users ear.  I applaud your outside the box approach!  Tim.  

Im still messing with the tones.   To me tones 22 and above arent going to be usable for my beach hunting.   Like you said.... it changes the size on coins..... and does nothing for gold.   I hit a couple of golds running at 22.......ouch they were almost missed.  Mid tones for my hearing seems to be best.   In the water, especially with a hard pan this machine likes minerals...... they bounce tones in the second and even sometimes 3 bins.   You learn to hunt that away....... where as the wet and dry sand its more easily controlled.   Air tested again yesterday ...... using 2, 18, 13, 20 and 10 as the tones.   Those seem to make the tones larger....... you hit a can out there or a pair of sun glasses with that 10 tone and you know it....... where as 25 there appears to be no modulation so they sound small.    Ive reset my breaks as well to end at 0, 10, 15, 18......and the rest.   I need a little more information out deep than 2 tones was giving me especially with mineral falsing.   Tones can be an advantage the 800 has for in the water hunting.

• Like 1