Great information Dew, thanks for sharing.  I have added that setup in my notebook as "Dew Tones" :). 

I hunted a modern high school last night for about an hour using the "3 tone/5 bin" setup I talked about on another thread... which is decent for cherrypicking coins around trash, but it is amazing how fast your brain (well... at least my brain) adjusts to ignoring a mid tone, even though I fully intended on hunting them too.  By the time I finished my short hunt, I was already ignoring the mids, and stopping to look at the highs.  Spending more time learning the nuances between the 18 tone, 13 tone, and 20 tone... I really believe will help my brain not categorically dismiss those mid tones.  ~Tim

Well mid tones seems to work pretty well in dry sand.  I don’t do a lot of dry sand hunting but I get antsy after a few days not getting in the water.  14k .5 grams read as 1 digit and sounded off good.  My bins seemed good as did the tones on those expected targets.

35115AC1-1DB2-4E53-900B-A1CA9EB9338B.jpeg

19 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

We are so used to having a pattern of tones.  Low for foil up to high for coins.  We have options for tones now days we need to use them especially for gold hunting in the water.  Other wise we end up coin hunting 

4 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

Well mid tones seems to work pretty well in dry sand.  I don’t do a lot of dry sand hunting but I get antsy after a few days not getting in the water.  14k .5 grams read as 1 digit and sounded off good.  My bins seemed good as did the tones on those expected targets.

35115AC1-1DB2-4E53-900B-A1CA9EB9338B.jpeg

Foil would/could ring up as a "1" as well??? No??  Dave  

Absolutely does...... and i dig more than my fair share of shallow foil.  Starting out with the Nox..... i dug enough foil to make one heck of a ball.   Ive gotten several piece of small gold thus far with the Nox.   Not everyone wants to dig the small stuff just because of the junk.   If it falls thru the scoop...... move on.   Ive got pretty good eyes .... shake it out .... if it falls out i can tell its not yellow, but dont spend a lot of time with PPers and using my finger to dig around looking for it.  PPing is pretty darn good with the tip of the coil.  Even high K gold .... thats small fall in the 1 to 4 digit.   I have patience lol.   Normally when im looking for this kind of stuff im not looking for big gold rings....im gridding slowly.   $12 worth of gold ..... hey i just like yellow.   

• Like 3

Ive gotten 5 gold chains i think so far...... only one was small enough to read as a 1 the others i believe were in the 4 range.   But i know what you are saying...... if you find a chain other machines missed yes its more likely falls in the 1 digit.    Oddly like id mention on another thread.... my smallest came with an Xcal ....  it was .3 grams which hit as a 1 on the Nox.

What we are all looking for in the water is a target..... and tones can stop us in our tracks.   2 tones works well but you have to have that one non-ferr tone right.  Because iron causes a lot of falsing outside in more than one range.   Ive noticed ...... it will hit in my 2.... 3..... 5 tone ranges even in AM which keeps wrap around down some.