Sign in to follow this  
amergin

Mystery Coin At Colonial Location?? Need Help

The coin is badly burnt by NE acid soil, and the coin has gone may rounds in the ring with the plough

found in southern CT with flat and dandy buttons

I can just make out what I think is “N N• R”. 

maybe the first N is something else, or the R is an E or an A, and the • dot is an acid blister

no other detail showing

Its roughy the size 

of a george II hapenny, but letter are much smaller than on a Hapenny
Very heavy and thick 2mm

but egg shaped 26mm x 30mm

IMG_8814.jpg

IMG_8812.jpg

IMG_8815.jpg

IMG_8817.jpg

IMG_8818.jpg

IMG_8819.jpg

• Like 1

Nice find, and it looks like you're already having fun trying to identify it.  Here are a couple sources:

https://www.pcgs.com/prices/

https://www.ebay.com/i/153222067374?chn=ps

In the first (PCGS page) look under 'Colonials'.  There are photos there as well as other info.  The Bowers book:

Whitman Encyclopedia of Colonial and Early American Coins
by Q. David Bowers

apparently was never printed in softcover, at least my quick search didn't find one.  New hardocovers are in the mid-40's in cost.  I linked to a used copy on Ebay.  Also, I looked on Worldcat site and they show a copy at the Connecticut Historical Society in Hartford, so if that is closeby you could search through theirs.

Of course it could be a foreign coin.  That might require an even more exhaustive search to identify.

It's ineteresting that the coin is not round.  That could be due to abuse, but it also could be to crude minting methods.  I hope it's the latter since that could mean it is quite rare, at least if it was minted in what is now US or Canada.

Thanks

yes the first Thing I did was search my whitman book if it is 2 x "N" the first thing I thought was CT coppers but the lettering is rather large on CT Coppers in Comparison to these letters which are only 2mm high. I don't own a copper But have a few George II and the letter seem similar size to CT coppers , may be I am wrong. All I can think of is some English coin or token with the word "Penny" shortened the back may have some kind of chevron zig zag detail.

I will keep the search going.

IMG_8826.jpg

IMG_8831.jpg

• Like 3

On 10/26/2018 at 2:33 PM, amergin said:

Thanks

yes the first Thing I did was search my whitman book if it is 2 x "N" the first thing I thought was CT coppers but the lettering is rather large on CT Coppers in Comparison to these letters which are only 2mm high. I don't own a copper But have a few George II and the letter seem similar size to CT coppers , may be I am wrong. All I can think of is some English coin or token with the word "Penny" shortened the back may have some kind of chevron zig zag detail.

I will keep the search going

Were you ever able to clean the coin up any better?

Best bet is use the diameter for reference. Looks like a copper or copper alloy coin. I have found a few blown out coins in my parts and cleaning them makes little or no difference as they are almost always junk below the patina. An ultrasonic cleaner with some mild ammonia and water and bit of dish detergent might take some the loose crud off. 

Was that in a yard or field? Fertilizers and road salt seem to be the biggest coin killers.

Based on the size you have it could be just a large cent 1793-1857. Buttons in the area might help narrow down the age a bit.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By James Etling
      Dean Wormer informed Delta Tau Chi pledge Kent Dorfman "Fat, drunk & stupid in no way go through life" has been ringing in my head the last few weeks. While I don't drink much with much being the operative word, fat and stupid are probably a pretty good fit. I can't fix stupid so in addition to starting the Paleo diet a couple of weeks ago I thought I needed to get out more and get a little exercise. I used to be a avid detectorist in the past and used the progression of Minelab's machines. I decided I would get back in the saddle and purchased a brand spanking new Equinox 800. After tinkering with it in my yard a bit and finding a copper memorial I loaded up Andy Sabich's coin program and headed to a local high school that I am quite sure has been bombarded over the years. BOY, I AM OUT OF SHAPE! After a little over an hour and a half I was starting to lock up. I did celebrate finding a wheatie early on, which was more than I was expecting. I had programmed the detector to ignore zinc pennies and was just looking for very good signals. Literally turning the corner to make my way back to the car I got a 27 signal. I had found a couple of clad dimes and was sure I was adding another and out pops a silver rosie. For the first run finding a wheatie and a rosie made my day. Well I gots to be going now and I'll see if I can stand up. I am going to be sore tomorrow. Cheers!

• By dogodog
      I found this button a month ago and posted a bunch of photo's with my other finds. I thought it was just another old button, but today I saw some detail in it and started to clean it. After about two hours of cleaning this is what I found. The button has a steel back and a brass front, the back has writing on it that is not legible. I'm hoping GB can help me out with the id. Any button people out there, your help will be appreciated. Mid to late 1800's ? The design is really unique. Stars, snake, infinity symbol, sailing ships, little circles and cattail plant. too fancy to be an average button ( my opinion) Look at it and tell me your thoughts.

• By kac
      Hit an area where I had picked up a trime before. This time out I snagged an 1853 half dime, old 3 ringer, bronze wedding band that was fairly deep and 2 large cents that are in rough shape.
      Probably won't bother cleaning the large cents as they may just disintegrate.
      Used the Multi Kruzer at 14 khz in 2 tone mode. Had isat off, was manually ground balancing as the ground is pretty tame, gain at 95 and disc at 0. I'm finding it is better to let it do it's chatter and low iron hum once in a while rather than using discrim at all as it disc seems to make the audio bit choppy and hard to follow. Finding 2 tone very easy to pick out good targets even when there is a lot of trash and iron around, just work slow. That stock coil is working really well in the woods.

• By Treasurehunt
      Why is it so much oxidation on this rock? Is it oxide of iron?
      Thank you

• By Coilpower
      It was a rather strange day today ......broad spectrum of finds and dates of coins.  BUT .........I got a tiny 9ct gold stud earring in black sand mix. A nice old penny, the other penny is just too far gone to see a date. Another coin for the scrap. Hubby ran off with the stainless steel hose clip thingys......guess some junk is useful eh? 

• By dogodog
      Bored silly with my states lock down on covid 19, I decided to go out to a place close to my house and run the MK with the 9 inch today and test out my home made detector stand. I was out for about 4 hours and found a bunch of clad and a fake diamond earring. Then I decided to dig every signal that I passed up before to test the 9 inch even more. 25+ pulltabs later I got a good nickle sound in the 60's. I dug a small hole pushed the pointer in and at about 3 inches was the large cent. I thought it was an oddly corroded 1/2 dollar. It was about 6 inches from the edge of a parking lot. It turns out it is an 1821 or 1827, hard to tell, I can just make out a 182- maybe 1 or 7. This was a great week for me. Might go out tomorrow if the wife allows. By the way the stand works great no dead dog detector anymore. Guess I'm not getting the battery pack now!!