Mystery Coin At Colonial Location?? Need Help

The coin is badly burnt by NE acid soil, and the coin has gone may rounds in the ring with the plough

found in southern CT with flat and dandy buttons

I can just make out what I think is “N N• R”. 

maybe the first N is something else, or the R is an E or an A, and the • dot is an acid blister

no other detail showing

Its roughy the size 

of a george II hapenny, but letter are much smaller than on a Hapenny
Very heavy and thick 2mm

but egg shaped 26mm x 30mm

IMG_8814.jpg

IMG_8812.jpg

IMG_8815.jpg

IMG_8817.jpg

IMG_8818.jpg

IMG_8819.jpg

• Like 1

Nice find, and it looks like you're already having fun trying to identify it.  Here are a couple sources:

https://www.pcgs.com/prices/

https://www.ebay.com/i/153222067374?chn=ps

In the first (PCGS page) look under 'Colonials'.  There are photos there as well as other info.  The Bowers book:

Whitman Encyclopedia of Colonial and Early American Coins
by Q. David Bowers

apparently was never printed in softcover, at least my quick search didn't find one.  New hardocovers are in the mid-40's in cost.  I linked to a used copy on Ebay.  Also, I looked on Worldcat site and they show a copy at the Connecticut Historical Society in Hartford, so if that is closeby you could search through theirs.

Of course it could be a foreign coin.  That might require an even more exhaustive search to identify.

It's ineteresting that the coin is not round.  That could be due to abuse, but it also could be to crude minting methods.  I hope it's the latter since that could mean it is quite rare, at least if it was minted in what is now US or Canada.

Thanks

yes the first Thing I did was search my whitman book if it is 2 x "N" the first thing I thought was CT coppers but the lettering is rather large on CT Coppers in Comparison to these letters which are only 2mm high. I don't own a copper But have a few George II and the letter seem similar size to CT coppers , may be I am wrong. All I can think of is some English coin or token with the word "Penny" shortened the back may have some kind of chevron zig zag detail.

I will keep the search going.

IMG_8826.jpg

IMG_8831.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 10/26/2018 at 2:33 PM, amergin said:

Thanks

yes the first Thing I did was search my whitman book if it is 2 x "N" the first thing I thought was CT coppers but the lettering is rather large on CT Coppers in Comparison to these letters which are only 2mm high. I don't own a copper But have a few George II and the letter seem similar size to CT coppers , may be I am wrong. All I can think of is some English coin or token with the word "Penny" shortened the back may have some kind of chevron zig zag detail.

I will keep the search going

Were you ever able to clean the coin up any better?

Best bet is use the diameter for reference. Looks like a copper or copper alloy coin. I have found a few blown out coins in my parts and cleaning them makes little or no difference as they are almost always junk below the patina. An ultrasonic cleaner with some mild ammonia and water and bit of dish detergent might take some the loose crud off. 

Was that in a yard or field? Fertilizers and road salt seem to be the biggest coin killers.

Based on the size you have it could be just a large cent 1793-1857. Buttons in the area might help narrow down the age a bit.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...