Anyone Had Trouble With Eq 800 Lcd Displays?

RevIza

After researching I purchased my first detector Oct. 2, the Equino 800. The second time in the field, fully charged,  the display faded to blank. Being unfamiliar with the machine, I thought I did something. turning it off and on again brought the screen back. I was on a trip and doing my first detecting in Nevada sun and it happened again. The audio was fine, screen blank. Got home and went to the beach after 10 minutes, the same thing. Reset unit and it worked for the next two hours just fine. 

I contacted ML and they sent me a pre-paid UPS ground label to send the control pod unit in for repair. So it appears, just in shipping time alone, the detector will be away as much as I've had it in my hands so far.

Of course I'm a bit disappointed in not being able to go detecting and am experiencing some buyer's remorse. I am now wondering if I made the right choice in detectors. Maybe in the mad rush of hype and sales of the EQ, Minelab's quality control is slipping? 

2 hours ago, RevIza said:

...... I was on a trip and doing my first detecting in Nevada sun and it happened again. The audio was fine, screen blank. Got home and went to the beach after 10 minutes, the same thing. Reset unit and it worked for the next two hours just fine.......

Hi Revlza,

"in Nevada sun" + "beach": did you store the detector in the (hot) boot of your car or left it lying on the hot sand for some time? I read somewhere about someone's Equinox getting too hot in the desert and the screen blanked out too. He cooled the pod with some water and a towel and after a short while the screen came on again and worked ok after that. Possible your's got too hot, too? 

Keep us posted about the outcome, after you get it back from ML service, please.

No need for any buyer's remorse., though. You made the right choice in detectors. ?

Welcome and greetings,

Bob'ke

There has been some discussions about that problem and heat...... even a few flooded the screen.   Going to be some growing pains with any new machine..... but it seems the Nox has had minor ones.   Give credit to ML thou with this machine..... most went back to Aussy land to be looked at .... and ALL have been immediately replaced.   Thats the way to do business.

• Like 1

I previously posted my experience at Key Largo Florida this past summer when I was detecting on a very hot beach and had a cover over the EQX control box.  After about an hour, the EQX started to malfunction...buttons and screen.

After removing the cover and letting the EQX cool down, all returned to normal.

Guest Tnsharpshooter

There will always be problems with some units.

Lot of Equinox units apparently already purchased with few electronics problems.

And why the manufacturer gives warranty period.  Some insurance for the consumer.

Notice autos cost lots more, they too have problems at times.

So far looks like Equinox has a good track record.

We’ll know more in 6-9 months.

A good year of possession and use will likely smoke out any large scale problems.

Hopefully Minelab will get you back in the game quickly.

Thank you everyone for your comments and encouragements!  

I checked the tracking number today and the pod is due to be delivered to ML USA tomorrow. I'm wishing I didn't use their label (UPS Ground) and just paid for USPS two-day!

Bob'ke: I moved to the bay area of California a few years ago. I finally purchased the EQ800 in front of my first holiday trip to Lake Tahoe area before the snow came - I lived in the US midwest for most of my life and had enough snow to last me many more years. The Northern Nevada desert was a side trip to see the sites, Carson, Virginia City, and the surrounding desert and some detecting on public land. The beach is closer to home, back in the bay area, as I am still learning both where to go detecting and how to use the machine. The detector does live in the trunk (boot) of the car (collapse the rod) except when I take the pod inside to charge. 

Not having anything to compare it to, I am really impressed when using the detector. I'm still digging most every target to see what it is (no big finds (lots of garbage, caps, aluminum, iron,  pennies, modern coins) but one beach I was at had very few hits. It's a public beach and I am sure detected quite heavily. There is a narrow streak of black sand there, quite a ways up from the shore. It was in this sand (using the stock Beach 1 and 2) that I started to find the coins down about 4-6" and they were in bad shape, which tells me others couldn't find them for some time.

Now I'm just waiting (and trying to learn how to research properly to find Northern CA/Nevada sites) to get out there again to look for treasure and do more prospecting 

I had my 800 go haywired twice the 1st month I owned it. I was unhappy but the minelab service was excellent. It's micro electronics and as much as they are reliable they can also go haywire. 

As you get used to your detector and get over having had to send in for repairs you will love it. The best detector on the market for the price. Also the easist to use