Gold Ring Depth

dewcon4414

there had been a good bit of discussion about silver and the Nox not doing well if they were on edge....... which was part of the new update.    I played around with the two programs..... again air testing gold.....and i got a bit of a surprise that i should have known.    The gold rings i tested on the two programs....... again tested about the same depth wise and i was using thinner ones.    I found holding a ring flat....... OR with the ring horizontal (more of the ring surface) going across the coil i got almost identical depth.   Unlike the silver coins.   But........ running that same ring vertical (having a smaller surface) i lost at least half the depth.   So you see how the coil is seeing targets...... it can be thin and long, but if it runs vertical to a horizontal coil it sees it as a small target.   So..... on some chains where it see not only the links....... but now also how that chain is laying can matter because it sees less of the chain.

Can you repeat the test using a silver quarter and a silver ring?

I'm just wondering how much of the boost is from the wider "shadow" of a solid object laying flat vs the added excitement of the induced eddy currents in the ring. (As you know if you cut the ring the number will drop and the target may seem smaller)

By all means if you have a gold coin...

Your observations make sense.  If you viewed the whole shebang a transformer sharing the common core of the coin, the two wingdings of the coil being the primary and the secondary, it would make sense that more magnetic energy could be coupled (transferred) better from one side to the other if the core "coin" was oriented in the proper fashion.

When we find a target, we are creating a transformer, the sound we hear is effectively the target being loaded up with energy. It takes a few moments to wind up the fly wheel, for the eddy currents to get induced into the target, this upsets the perfect null (tuning) that would otherwise make the machine quiet. I think the motion is needed otherwise the coin becomes "saturated", passing the signal from one side of the coil to the other, in phase. The motion creates a scenario similar to winding up a fly wheel that never quite catches up to speed.

I suggested you test the silver because you've already started and are more experienced. Plus I'm going out to play in the water because it is snowing out. Winter wonderland?

Little more information....... running the CTX and Xcal.  The CTX reacts about the same as the Nox........ however, that ring best not be laying flat and broken.... really bad depth on those.  Surprisingly........you get better depth when the broken rings are on edge.   Now the Xcal (disc mode)........different beast.  I was surprised to see i was getting better response from rings on edge than the other two machines in some cases better than if they were flat........ and it didnt have the same issue as the CTX with broken rings...... it got better depth on those.  

Now .... lets think about how a cross might lay on a beach.  It would likely move to the bottom of a low raise (trough) ....... it would also most likely be laying flat with its length being from N. to S. from the push of the water.  So ...... if you are running N to S like several do down a trough.... you have 1 factor against you..... running against the natural layers of sand (grain) loosing a little depth....... but the cross most likely would be flat AND the length would be from N to S...... a more favorable position.   Those gridding ...... E to W might miss it just because of the smaller surface crossing the coil.