Reviewing Tony Eisenhower's Headphones For The Equinox

cjc

Reviewing Tony Eisenhower's Headphones for the Equinox

A buddy of mine—Drew in British Columbia Canada was kind enough to let me try a set of Tony Eisenhower Headphones for the Equinox for a couple of weeks.  Out of the box I could see that these were a very well thought out high quality set of phones.   The plug itself was really good quality and featured a “pigtail” type strain relief going up the cable—something I’ve never seen on this size / style of plug.  There was also an added “Velcro” strain relief on the cord to attach to the detector wand.  This prevents any accidental yanks from reaching the plug.  With this in place the cable was the perfect length.  Having just rewired one of these for the fifth time on a set of aftermarket phones and struggling to strip and solder the tiny leads—this bit of detail was a good sign.  This hardware was rock solid.
The phones feature an arch array that’s geared for right handers but they fit almost  as well “backwards.”  From looking at the assembly it would only take a minute to reverse them, to left handed.

It was when I turned them on that the quality became apparent.  They had a nice, clean “muted but loud” sound that was pleasant and as I began to run though the various types of Equinox audio—nice in all ranges. When I went to “50 Tones some of these really stood out—the mid gold range.  I also found that the response range was so much better than the stock phones that they seemed to actually give the detector more depth in my tests.  One of the first things I do with a new machine is to learn to hear the “faint ones” and with Tony’s phones seemed to really enhance the EQ’s faint range.  I made a note to do some more testing before venturing onto the beach with them. 

In the water the signal was audible underwater although the low tones could have been louder this is more to do with the machine.  In corresponding with Tony  I asked him what kind of speakers he used and was told:

“Mine are 800 ohm, 2” piezos mounted to custom phenolic boards and potted in self levelling silicone to make them fully waterproof.”

I genuinely had the sense that these changed the audio characteristics of the Equinox dramatically—letting it reach deeper. 

Tony added his trademark line “…I like ‘em”  So do I.

• Like 5

I like mine too Clive.   The piezos gives more modulation than those with speakers.  I did notice on a quarter with the tone set at 25khz.....for my hearing the coin sounded small....so I’m running 13 For coins....big sound now.   Tony’s phones seem built to last.  I don’t dunk mine like u do Clive but they can be.   Good review

Thise muffs have a lot to do with the BWs 28db rating for noise reduction.

My pair came today.  FINALLY, a pair of waterproof headphones with volume loud enough I could hear. I had to turn the detector volume down a few digits and I was happy as a lark.  Do NOT waste your money on those yellow Minelabs or the Gray Ghosts.  Email Tony and get you a pair.  I like the sound of them so well I will probably use them all the time on land as well. 

• Like 3

I emailed Tony at tony@idigbeaches.com to inquire about how to go about purchasing his headphones. Here is the reply....

"I currently charge $175 USD for my custom waterproof NOX headphones which includes shipping in the US. There’s no waiting list at this time so I can get a set out to you in a few days.

The headphones are modified MSA left/right ear muffs with 2” piezos mounted to custom sound boards. The connector is custom made from an Amphenol 4-pin plug and a 3.5mm audio plug. Everything is potted in epoxy and silicone, so the headphones are waterproof at depth.

If you’d like to place an order, I will need confirmation and a little information

*  I need the mailing address to ship your headphones. 
*  I need the email that I can use to send your PayPal invoice.
*  I need to know which side you want the cord attached?  Folks who swing with their right arm will need the cord on the right.

I’ll send you a PayPal invoice for $175 when I have a set available for you.

Thanks for interest and all the best, Tony"

Got my pair ordered.

• Like 6

• 4 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:53 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

I emailed Tony at tony@idigbeaches.com to inquire about how to go about purchasing his headphones. Here is the reply....

"I currently charge $175 USD for my custom waterproof NOX headphones which includes shipping in the US. There’s no waiting list at this time so I can get a set out to you in a few days.

The headphones are modified MSA left/right ear muffs with 2” piezos mounted to custom sound boards. The connector is custom made from an Amphenol 4-pin plug and a 3.5mm audio plug. Everything is potted in epoxy and silicone, so the headphones are waterproof at depth.

If you’d like to place an order, I will need confirmation and a little information

*  I need the mailing address to ship your headphones. 
*  I need the email that I can use to send your PayPal invoice.
*  I need to know which side you want the cord attached?  Folks who swing with their right arm will need the cord on the right.

I’ll send you a PayPal invoice for $175 when I have a set available for you.

Thanks for interest and all the best, Tony"

Got my pair ordered.

Did you get a chance to try out the headphones? Any thoughts on them? I have a pair of GreyGhost but they are really quite in the water looking for something better myself.

I have a bad hearing problem and I have tried 5 different brand waterproof headphones made for the Equinox.  Tony's headphones are the best by far. If you buy another headphones that are not made by Tony you are just wasting time and money.  Set the Equinox in the 5 tones mode and adjust the tone to 13 for the most volume.

• Like 3

OK, got a set of TE's heading my way and thanks for the setting tips. I'll be sure to give them a try first!

Out of curiosity what were the other brands you tried?