Feel Like Selling My Machine....

All much appreciated. I could very well not have the best settings engaged but I was finding really small lead bullet fragments and micro wires so I must be in the neighborhood. I had doc's handy pocket guide with me too which helped bring me back to earth.

I have a couple more big areas in mind to retry some days on. One being a known producer but also is secured by a club so Im off to join them (they are cheap too!).

On a technical note, I've started to wonder if an SDC wouldnt have been a better machine for me. I struggled a lot with the decision (for months) and was glad about it but after seeing how I've worked the places I've been so far, I may have been better off with the SDC. I have had few chances to really put a decent size coil to use yet. I was also around several dry creek banks and working the 5000 on that was tough. Anybody switched from one to another? (maybe thats another thread)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, all taken under consideration. Though as far as the SDC goes, I have heard the opposite at least once. I think it would be very useful or even more so for some of the spots I was in. There's also something to be said for a detector you can just grab from behind your seat and GO! I think I need both actually.... just need some winning lotto numbers now.

• Like 1

Night hunter,  also look at the geology of the club claims.  Figure out why they picked those claims.  Walk around them.  Then find areas with similar types of geology and walk some around those.  Study the trash.  Are there square nails, maybe boot tacks, wire ..?  That is great.  Stay in the area.  Or are you hunting on the side of the hill where people are shooting at?  I stay away from those areas unless I know there is good gold there.  Also buy a .25g nugget if needed and bury it in a vial at one of those claims and gain confidence in your settings.  And lastly, start out in washes with less than 2' of overburden, if you can.  Otherwise you will be digging some deep trash and that really wears on your mind quickly.  

Research, research, research .... hike, hike, hike... and lastly ...

BE THE GOLD :p

• Like 3

On November 2, 2018 at 7:18 PM, Adam H said:

I would take a 5000 over an SDC any day....

Interesting.  I actually think beginners are better starting off with the SDC, for the sole reason that there is much more small gold out there and I have seen many times a buddy out perform my gpx 5000 in spots I have pounded.  After the SDC teaches the technique and locations to a newbie, then I would move them to the GPX's.  But that is just my opinion.

• Like 3

On 11/29/2018 at 3:33 PM, nighthunter said:

Though as far as the SDC goes, I have heard the opposite at least once. I think it would be very useful or even more so for some of the spots I was in.

Hey nighthunter.   Very rarely do I use my 2300, I just don`t want to chase point oners anymore, so a lot of days I come home empty handed with the 7000, but if I absolutely need a gold fix today, I go to the 2300 every time.  Yesterday I went to a spot with 2 mates that has produced a lot of gold for detector operators and me and the guy with the 5000 got one small piece each and the guy with the 2300 got five.     Dave

• Like 2

15 hours ago, kiwijw said:

Hi Andyy, What size coil are you using on your 5000?

JW :smile:

Hey JW.  I had a Sadie 8x6 coil as my smallest.  The size limit for me, my settings, in my ground type (Arizona) was about .2 gram (couple inches deep) Flat wire coils may get a little smaller but at the time that I had my 5000, I did not have flat wire coils.  The size gold I was referring to as small is .2 gram down to 1/2 grain.  This is the SDC's, GPZ, or VLF world.  Arizona has many locations that people think are pounded out.  But if you bring an SDC or GPZ in there, they will be pulling out literally hundreds of pieces the un modified GPX cannot see .. (SDC will pull a little more just due to getting in places with the coil size).  Also note, I do not have the wonderfully quiet ground that New Zealand has!  :biggrin:  But then again ... some people can do wicked things with their GPX's. 

• Like 2

Kiwi if that were the case, the sdc being of no advantage in mild soils, then the 7000 would also be of no advantage, but obviously you are getting your share of small gold missed by the gpx . I use a 7000 also, but after a spot is cleaned, the 2300 can go right behind and pull even smaller gold. Its basically a 7000 with a tiny coil.  Guys out here in Nevada were killing it with the sdc when they came out, and that ground is very mild. Yes the sdc has an even greater advantage in mineralized ground, but there is no doubt they will pick small, low conductive, porous, crystalline, flat gold right along side a 7000. Sorry I gotta stick up for that little blue detector because they work so good.

• Like 1