nighthunter

Feel Like Selling My Machine....

3 hours ago, Andyy said:

for the sole reason that there is much more small gold out there and I have seen many times a buddy out perform my gpx 5000 in spots I have pounded.

Hi Andyy, What size coil are you using on your 5000?

JW :smile:

On 11/29/2018 at 3:33 PM, nighthunter said:

Though as far as the SDC goes, I have heard the opposite at least once. I think it would be very useful or even more so for some of the spots I was in.

Hey nighthunter.   Very rarely do I use my 2300, I just don`t want to chase point oners anymore, so a lot of days I come home empty handed with the 7000, but if I absolutely need a gold fix today, I go to the 2300 every time.  Yesterday I went to a spot with 2 mates that has produced a lot of gold for detector operators and me and the guy with the 5000 got one small piece each and the guy with the 2300 got five.     Dave

• Like 3

I hear this a lot, to avoid a skunk people whip out their high frequency VLF or SDC although the reality of it is  the bits of gold they find are worth about $2 if that when they do.  I personally don't mind that, a $2 bit of gold to me is a great success, I don't see my detecting as any form of income stream, my coins go to my daughters money box, my jewellery goes to my wife and my gold goes to my own little treasure box as a trophy for my success.  I get pretty proud when I find the tiniest bit as I know they're the hardest to find.  

But if you're really chasing the bigger deeper stuff, there is no point messing around, just use the GPX and go home often with nothing as some days you'll go home with something to smile about that more than makes up for the other days.

I mostly try to avoid a skunk to stop the harsh criticism of my hobby choice, I personally don't care ?

If I wanted to make some $$$$ out of it, the best way without a doubt is coin/jewellery detecting.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, kiwijw said:

Hi Andyy, What size coil are you using on your 5000?

Hey JW.  I had a Sadie 8x6 coil as my smallest.  The size limit for me, my settings, in my ground type (Arizona) was about .2 gram (couple inches deep) Flat wire coils may get a little smaller but at the time that I had my 5000, I did not have flat wire coils.  The size gold I was referring to as small is .2 gram down to 1/2 grain.  This is the SDC's, GPZ, or VLF world.  Arizona has many locations that people think are pounded out.  But if you bring an SDC or GPZ in there, they will be pulling out literally hundreds of pieces the un modified GPX cannot see .. (SDC will pull a little more just due to getting in places with the coil size).  Also note, I do not have the wonderfully quiet ground that New Zealand has!  :biggrin:  But then again ... some people can do wicked things with their GPX's. 

• Like 3

Thanks Andyy, I couldn't have hoped for a better answer. You must obviously have known my experiences towards the 2300 here in NZ in our insanely quiet ground compared to my 4500 & sadie coil. The difference being the 2300 excelling in hotter ground, which is what it appears to be very good at & its simplicity of use. Cheers.

Best of luck out there.

• Like 2

Kiwi if that were the case, the sdc being of no advantage in mild soils, then the 7000 would also be of no advantage, but obviously you are getting your share of small gold missed by the gpx . I use a 7000 also, but after a spot is cleaned, the 2300 can go right behind and pull even smaller gold. Its basically a 7000 with a tiny coil.  Guys out here in Nevada were killing it with the sdc when they came out, and that ground is very mild. Yes the sdc has an even greater advantage in mineralized ground, but there is no doubt they will pick small, low conductive, porous, crystalline, flat gold right along side a 7000. Sorry I gotta stick up for that little blue detector because they work so good.

• Like 2

Learning a lot of good things on this thread--very interesting, lots of great tips!

Thanks to all for posting, and all the best,

Lanny

Hi WesD, I am a bit lost as to why you would say the Zed should also not be of an advantage in mild soils.The 7000 still blows me away 2 years later at the small gold it gets at incredible depths. Deeper than my 4500/sadie combination & deeper than the 2300 & the depths it gets bigger gold. Even tiny gold on/near the surface. It just seems to do it all except the real tiny stuff that is the domain of my GB2 &/or Gold Monster. Maybe now even the Nox 800 with the 6" coil. Don't get me wrong, I have found tiny gold with my 2300, Weather it is as small as the GB2 or Monster is up for debate. I haven't done that comparison. It has been a few years since I used the 2300.  When I use the Zed I often take along the GB2 or Monster to re check holes from the Zed. They being lighter & more convenient  to use than the 2300 & smaller coils than the 2300. Most of the gold I find is of alluvial nature, even when high up in the hills miles away from any water channels past or present. Well...I guess, who knows what happened in the past with land upheaval, subsidence, faulting & folding & then throw in multiple glacial advances & recessions. There are a few areas I go that has rough, prickly, hokey pokey reef gold. It was one of these locations that I very first used my 2300, reading that it favoured this type gold. My 4500/sadie combination trounced it on this day & many times after. From the surface the 4500/sadie consistently got gold at depth that the 2300 was silent on. I did send the 2300 back to Minelab before the warranty ran out. It came back with a full bell of health & was as they said, Running within their parameters. So that totally satisfied me that the difference was our insanely mild ground favoured the 4500/sadie more so than the 2300. The 2300 does love shotgun pellets as does the Gold Monster, GB2 & the Nox 800, & I can do without that.:biggrin: I am not knocking the 2300. Its track record speaks for itself when used in the conditions that it excels in. Namely hot ground & porous crystalline hokey pokey type gold that seems to throw a shadow over the GPX's & Zed.......in hot ground. I haven't got rid of the 2300 & I will endeavour to revisit a few places with it in conjunction with my high frequency VLF's this summer. I just need to get outside of the shotgun pellet mine fields that cover our gold fields. Thanks to bloody rabbits.?

Best of luck to you out there

• Like 2

Kiwi,  You stated the sdc is no advantage in mild soil, so I'm comparing that's like saying that the 7000 is of no advantage in mild soil. Obviously it is. The fact is both 7 and 2300 work exceptional in mild soil and the milder the ground the deeper they seem to shoot down.    Ive been over many patches I worked with the Saddie/gpx5000 combo and it was amazing how much  was left that the gpx didnt see for whatever reasons.  I imagine one reason has to do with an accelerated receive timing on the sdc  which  picks up the  fast decay eddy current targets. It seems a lot of gold has this characteristic, otherwise the 7000 wouldn't be pulling the gold either, as we generally dont dig any  deeper or bigger than the previous gpx's did. Its primarily that small or low conductive gold we get now. 

I'd spend a little more time on the sdc.  You might take a liking to it, once you get over some more color. I had a friend here complain and moan about his sdc for months, but then he started to get the feel for it and had nothing but compliments from then on.

Thanks Kiwi,  catch you later

Why do a lot of people say the SDC is great at tiny gold but rarely talk about it's obvious ability to get bigger nuggets too? Yes I understand the small coil limits its depth compared to my 18" NF but still, Ive seen pics of SDC's finding 1/2oz pieces down a ways. Sometimes it sounds like if you use an SDC you are only looking at 1g or less, if anything.