Metal Detector Advice Needed

Greetings all,

I am new to this forum, and my friend is looking to buy a metal detector, however he could definitely use some advice regarding what he should go for.

He is thinking about OKM fusion metal detector and 3D ground scanner. I checked the site related to that product ( https://www.okmmetaldetectors.com/en/gold-detectors/metal-detector-okm-fusion/ )
However it feels kinda fishy and expensive for what it is... Therefore, my question is, what is your opinion on that product and if you have other alternatives please do share.

Thank you all, much appreciated!

21 hours ago, Marko89 said:

Greetings all,

I am new to this forum, and my friend is looking to buy a metal detector, however he could definitely use some advice regarding what he should go for.

He is thinking about OKM fusion metal detector and 3D ground scanner. I checked the site related to that product.
However it feels kinda fishy and expensive for what it is... Therefore, my question is, what is your opinion on that product and if you have other alternatives please do share.

My opinion is "Don't waste your money!"

Ditto.  Scanning detector systems like the OKM are interesting but are not really for coin, relic, or gold nugget detecting.  You didn't mention what kind of detecting your friend wants to do, but the OKM (even if it works) is essentially for finding very large objects and cavities, and provides poor definition even with large objects--look at the scans their testing company did of those buried metal cases. https://www.okmmetaldetectors.com/en/okm-treasure-hunting-blog/metal-detector-field-test/.  

21 hours ago, Marko89 said:

Greetings all,

He is thinking about OKM fusion metal detector and 3D ground scanner. I checked the site related to that product.

Without knowing what your friends exact needs are and his level of expertise are it is impossible to offer any real advice. However, OKM sells long range locators, which in my opinion at least are a complete scam. I personally avoid any company that promotes or sells these devices. Geotech Long Range Locator Page

Guest Tnsharpshooter
On 10/30/2018 at 8:06 AM, Marko89 said:

Greetings all,

He is thinking about OKM fusion metal detector and 3D ground scanner. I checked the site related to that product ( https://www.okmmetaldetectors.com/en/gold-detectors/metal-detector-okm-fusion/ )

Look here.  Good info.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2018 at 7:51 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

Without knowing what your friends exact needs are and his level of expertise are it is impossible to offer any real advice. However, OKM sells long range locators, which in my opinion at least are a complete scam. I personally avoid any company that promotes or sells these devices. Geotech Long Range Locator Page

Do you have any relevant advise to someone in central Australia?

(admittedly I am well to the left of beingnovice , and I do not know if rocks here are hot or not... so trying to link with some locals...  but appreciate any insights you may offer)

11 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Someone in central Australia doing what? Looking for lost treasure? Prospecting for gold nuggets? If it is information on gold nugget detectors you seek, here is a good starting point....

fisher-makro-minelab-garrett-whites-gold

Thanks - I have been through most of those reviews.

i guess I will need to find some local that will let me know whether there are "hot rocks", or other things here that would sway the choice of machine for gold detecting.

Local advice is a step in the right direction. There are dozens of detectors you might choose. Saying “I want a detector” is like saying “I want a car”. The choice is a personal one and can only be narrowed by gathering more information about the desired use. Lacking any more information on that front other than “gold nuggets, central Australia”, I would say buy a Minelab GPX 5000.