Equinox 800 Finds Key-date Nickel

Rick73

I have been searching a recently harvested beanfield that was a picnic grove 100 plus years ago. This has been a nickel haven as these were V-nickels number 28 and 29 that I have found at this field in the last couple of years. I read in an old newspaper that carousel rides were a nickel at this grove. The right nickel is a 1885 and the left is a 188?. I had to let them soak in a rust remover to remove the corrosion that comes from farm chemicals. The 1885 will grade AG3 at best. I switch around between the CTX and Deus and the EQ but the 800 is definitely the best on nickels. Still a great find. 

10:30:18 nickels.jpg

• Like 8

Congrats on the rare 1885 V. Not many found and yours is still identifiable. Great find. I think the one on the left is an 1890. I think I can see a zero as the last digit and the 9 barely before it. Could also be an 1886 which is a nice date too.

• 2 weeks later...

I found an 1885 myself a few weeks ago.  Only thing identifiable was the date.  Once I could make out the date I stopped cleaning it.  I’ve been over this spot with a t2, at pro with NEL, and explorer.  The equinox hit it but due to depth ID would jump to high 20’s, noticed deep IHP’s do this also.  

E1E0839F-1E2E-4A6F-A7B3-78115EC2645B.jpeg

• Like 1