Amazing finds!  I like the earring theory for that mini-torc. 

It really is unfair, though.  I am overjoyed when I find a 60-year old Mercury dime, and the Brits (and lucky visitors) are finding 2,000 year old coins.

Interesting the way that British farmers are apparently deriving second incomes from the hordes of detectorists that now search their fields.

• Like 1

Very well articulated story Steve, as always!!  Congrats on your finds.  I like reading about people's trips over there but for some reason I've never had an interest in going myself.  I guess most of it is due to not knowing what the heck most of the stuff is that I see pictures or videos of. Haha.  

• Like 1

Steve, thanks for relating your epic adventure; your finds are simply incredible!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I am one of those types that lives in my head and some of my best thinking is done while wandering around detecting. At other times I get so into "the zone" that hours flash by in apparent minutes. Whether I make finds or not I find metal detecting to be wonderfully refreshing. For me at least there are few things more relaxing than metal detecting.

Me too Steve.

As a lover of Romano British history I've spent some time there over the years - not detecting, but I once worked briefly restoring a section of Hadrian's Wall. In an earlier life I was a stonemason. Rocks on the brain, I suppose! 

I have a nice collection of Roman coins, but my dream find would be a gold Solidus. :)

• Like 1

Great story Steve and congratulations on your amazing gold finds.

Re: MIndy's find.. what can I say.. stunningly beautiful!

Tom

• Like 1

Very Nice !!!!Next time you are around gimme a shout we will catch up!You will experience the Mudlarking at his best!!

Regarding your find i can't recommend enough thinking about a noise piercing??????

RR

• Haha 1

Steve

What a great article which is a complete account of your detecting enjoyment armed with the Equinox 800.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful detecting holiday experience in our Gods country England, what you encountered is the type of detecting I do twice a week here in the UK and have done for the past 42 years.

Don't get over disappointed with not finding a Gold Stater because it is one coin which I have not found myself, I have found the Celtic Silver units and the Celtic bronze core type but the gold ones have eluded me.

Good Hunting

Randy Dee

Durham, UK.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Rivers Rat, I will do that. To be honest I felt a little guilty not notifying my forum friends in the U.K. that I was flying over the pond. I generally don’t like advertising my whereabouts until after the fact but from a more practical perspective this operation has me busy 24/7. Next time I would like to give myself extra time to see the country and perhaps visit with people.

Randy, I really love your country and the people most of all. Everyone was very nice. I had random meetings with people walking their dog, or a farmer, or a shopkeeper and always enjoyed conversing with them. Our English host Chris does a great job trying to be gruff but I can’t help but like the bloke. And the history! I admit I would have to work up to the idea of actually driving myself around however. The drivers there have a tolerance for high speeds and narrow encounters that exceeds my own. :laugh:

You are both fortunate to have access to such incredible detecting opportunities every day, but I will do my best to come back and find a little more of that treasure myself. And that stater? No disappointment at all there. I know it is a very low odds target. Gold nuggets are easy to find compared to gold coins. I actually would have better odds of finding a gold coin where I am here, if I only applied myself to the task. Yet when nuggets beckon with almost 100% certainty of being found it is hard to make myself go look for a low odds coin. The nuggets don’t distract me in the U.K. There are people here like Cal Cobra that inspire me however so I may need to change my ways.

• Like 5