1 hour ago, phrunt said:

Thanks for the ride Steve, I think I will have to do a UK trip, my brother in law lives in Edinburgh and has a B&B there, he's forever been trying to get us to go there, as has my wife but I just didn't want to as I didn't think I would enjoy it and would have nothing to do except "visit family".... maybe now I do! 

Simon, just do it. Seriously, just do it. Family with a B&B trying to get you to go and a wife who is on board? If you do not do this I am going to cut you from my will! :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, oldmancoyote1 said:

Watch winders?  So that's what I threw away last month.  I thought it must be some kind of junk part.

There are all sorts of ornate watch winders that are worth keeping if you are into that sort of thing. I am so I keep them.

https://colchestertreasurehunting.com/watch-winders/

Start by contacting this guy in Scotland. I am sure he can offer some pointers. And you never know, maybe Derek and his wife would like to hunt gold in New Zealand!

https://www.minelab.com/usa/go-minelabbing/treasure-talk?author=290104

My mom was a Cameron so I really should visit Scotland someday myself.

I really enjoyed reading about your adventures!  One of these days I plan to get over there, hopefully it's not hunted out by then :rolleyes:  BTW I saw Chicago Ron on a dental commercial - lol  I had to do a double take when I saw it on TV, but it was him :)

Thanks for the shout out Steve, hope there's gold in the cards for us this weekend :wink:

Ron does have a beautiful set of teeth. I told him so and only then found out he had the work done and was in an ad. I think he was in the first season of Dig Wars also, but I don’t watch the detecting shows so I am not sure about that. Whatever, he is an amazing detectorist with really great teeth!

My trip was extremely smooth. A big mistake people make is taking too much stuff. Washers are available, so I had a pair of pants for travel/going out, and a pair to hunt in. Long sleeve shirt and a couple T-shirt’s. Lots of underwear and socks. Light jacket. Rain gear. Good pair of Keene light weight waterproof boots, travel shoes, slippers for barn. General toiletry stuff like toothbrush, etc.

Two complete Equinox, one with stock coil, one with 15” coil. You need a UK to US power adapter, and I got one plug in powered splitter that has 6 full power USB outlets. Enough for detector, headphones, iPad, iPhones, etc. You need a second power adapter and another USB source in case detectors are charged in a mud room. The first ten days I charged everything in my room at one location. The last week the detector was in the mud room - just going with whatever the group is doing or as hunt manager directs.

A radio is good. Mindys group everyone had their own. Ron provided radios, a better way to go I think as it insures they all play well. My old Garmin Rhino did not seem to work as well with other brands at long distance. Mindy mentioned she might do the provide radio thing in the future. Do ask to be sure. Bring spare alkaline batteries for anything that needs then but rechargeable are the way to go as long as you have the adapters needed.

As I noted, spades are provided. I took my standard trash pouch and a pinpointer. My pouch always has a $1 disposable rain poncho and emergency toilet paper in the side compartments. You never know when a rain squall might appear and the poncho takes the edge off wondering if it’s worth putting rain gear on. When traveling new foods can lead to urgent trips to the nearest ditch or hedge row so do be prepared. I had no issues with either this trip however.

I got a new super light suitcase at Costco, and all the above in the bag tipped the scales at 40 lbs. Critical stuff went in a satchel carry on that fits under the seat with room to spare.

Valid passport of course. Plan ahead to get one if you do not have one. I got pounds sterling at Wells Fargo before I left. A couple hundred pounds left me with extra. You can just use a credit card but when traveling, you never know. The cash was easier for at stores and for misc purchases, and easier when everyone pitching in for a meal or drinks at a pub.

My AT&T account was non-functional in the U.K. With the time zone flip it was easier for me to just rely on WiFi for the whole trip and text my wife, keep up on forum, etc. The barns all had WiFi as did pubs, etc. I did not miss the phone, except for that brief time when I lost it! There are disposable SIM cards you can buy for use while in the U.K. and everyone was selling them at the airport. I don’t know much about that but it is an opinion for those who need a phone and who do not have an international plan.

I think that’s about it. If anyone has questions do please ask. I am writing up a Treasure Talk blog right now that will go over the Equinox itself, settings, general thoughts and hunt strategy, etc. that will hopefully be posted soon.

• Like 3

On 11/1/2018 at 6:40 PM, alaskaseeker said:

Well done Steve, a great hunt for sure, excellent finds, lol and I know the weather had to be better this time...Great story too by the way....Geo

Hi George,

The finds have thinned since eight years ago but obviously great discoveries remain to be made. A really great trip. Wish you had been there but I am sure you are in a better place right now so there you go. Best wishes, say hi to Bee for me!

Steve H

I don't know - I have never been to England in the spring. I was simply told by others that fall has the better chance for good weather and so that's been my choice, and after this last trip still would be. My first trip it rained a solid week so there are no guarantees anyway. The bottom line is fall just fits better for me for that sort of trip - spring has my eyes gazing towards Alaska :smile:. I am sure the spring hunts in England are just fine. Hopefully some of our UK forum members can enlighten us more on the weather patterns.

These things never last forever, as those who now regret never making that Ganes Creek realize. If it is within your ability to afford one of these trips, I highly recommend people consider it. No matter what you will find items far older than can be had in the U.S., and pretty much every day you hunt. Gold is obviously a low odds thing, but 12th - 16th century silver coins come out of the ground on a near daily basis for somebody in a group.

A hunt like this would be hard by yourself because there are dead periods where one person can't find anything to save their lives. Been there, done that. Working in a group, especially with radios, does for me at least cheer me on. I am happy as long as anybody in my group is scoring because it keeps my spirits up. They do not "steal" a find I may have made. Some people get bent out of shape when they are not doing well and they see others making a good find. These trips are not for those people. If you feed off the success of others as I do, these group hunts are great. The worst thing ever is when nobody in the group is finding anything - that sucks. Luckily that almost never occurs on these trips.

Honestly I have found enough gold in my life. Seeing people find it for the very first time is a real thrill simply because they have such an over the top reaction that I enjoy. I like finding gold but being there nearby when others do is the next best thing.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I don't know - I have never been to England in the spring. I was simply told by others that fall has the better chance for good weather and so that's been my choice, and after this last trip still would be. My first trip it rained a solid week so there are no guarantees anyway. The bottom line is fall just fits better for me for that sort of trip - spring has my eyes gazing towards Alaska :smile:. I am sure the spring hunts in England are just fine. Hopefully some of our UK forum members can enlighten us more on the weather patterns.

Spring,can be nice weather wise,but the biggest problem could be that crops ie wheat and barley could well be in full growth,some farmers dont mind and will allow you to detect even upto 3-4'' or more,other landowner/farmers as soon as the seed hits the ground then that is out of bounds till harvest time,which is of course autumn or fall for you guys,August,September and October are the prime month when the window for detecting and rallies is basically at its peak.

This is why Detectival is usually in September/October as the weather is usually pretty good,i the spring we could have April showers.so if i was to choose it would be the later option.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 11/3/2018 at 10:46 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

Hi George,

The finds have thinned since eight years ago but obviously great discoveries remain to be made. A really great trip. Wish you had been there but I am sure you are in a better place right now so there you go. Best wishes, say hi to Bee for me!

Steve H

The patient and observing always score... Great finds Steve..

• Thanks 1