What a great adventure, Steve!!!

I love your description of the traffic "laws"...reminds me of being in Oz. I never got accustomed to being on the wrong side and looking the wrong way first... even walking was a trial for my simple brain.

Your advice to "do It" is spot on...you never know when you will wake up too sick or broken to climb that next hill.

Wonderful pictures as usual...

fred

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Congrats Steve on the Trip and the finds, fantastic trip all round really and to find Celtic Gold is a dream come true, Well done mate, looks like you got in with a nice crowd and it was good the weather stayed fine while you were here.

I am a firm believer in using a large coil like you had there on these field because everyone does the correct thing by fitting a smaller coil when the junk is thick, But there is always a chance of hitting something good just that bit deeper with a big coil, people laugh when they see me with a big coil in those sites but I never go home empty handed,

• Like 3

Finds of a lifetime for sure.  You earned those gold pieces Steve and should be on cloud 9.  Colchester is a heck of a detecting site and I have been there many times.  Mindy and Ron are top notch group leaders and I have hunted with both in years past.  The guy that runs the show has a heck of a site, land and identification system but his personality can be a "Dill" at times...just like mine on an occasion.  Its all good though and your story, photos and finds are very enjoyable to read and dream.

As you are about to find out, the gold artifacts end up "Declared the Lands Treasure" and could be purchased so you'll get some compensation for them.  The best part though....your detecting skill helped save an item that is of historical significance and will end up in a museum for all to see.  Keep us updated on the findings.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/6/2018 at 12:16 AM, auminesweeper said:

Congrats Steve on the Trip and the finds, fantastic trip all round really and to find Celtic Gold is a dream come true, Well done mate, looks like you got in with a nice crowd and it was good the weather stayed fine while you were here.

I am a firm believer in using a large coil like you had there on these field because everyone does the correct thing by fitting a smaller coil when the junk is thick, But there is always a chance of hitting something good just that bit deeper with a big coil, people laugh when they see me with a big coil in those sites but I never go home empty handed,

John,what large coil do you use on the MXT ??? is that the 14'' Detech one.

Yeah Rick it's the 14x10 Excellerator EQ2, It is a fraction lighter than the factory 10"DD, On single coins it will add up to 2 or 3" but on larger Items we are talking in FEET. when I bought the first one I liked it that much I ordered another one the very next day,

Once I was using it and when I was using my small pick that coil was picking up my pick at over 2 metres away giving a soft all metal sound, It is very sensitive and lets the machine use all it's power.

• Like 2

What a fantastic trip!

I loved tagging along as you told your tale, and the pictures were priceless.

Thanks for taking the time to write about your adventures Steve, nicely done, and all the best wherever you go to chase the gold,

Lanny

• Like 1

For me that would be a once in a life time trip.  I'm very happy for you.  Over the years I got to go to one GNRS in 2013, sponsored by LC over at the treasure d site. .  Met many of the forum guys I had corresponded with for over a decade.  For me it was a wonderful 2 day hunt.  I often wonder how much better, or rather what I'd found if I'd had my Equinox. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Who's that waaaaay down there hunting along the River Stour? That's Steve! 20181022_162323.thumb.jpg.f35214766a1f2d34d55ac3d5a371f713.jpg

I just realized that I never commented on this thread. Sorry about that!

That's a great write up on your trip Steve! And some great pictures to go along with it! I should've stopped to take more photos and videos than I did. And! I wish I would've got the chance to look at your votive offering that you found while I was there. But the powers that be swoop in pretty quickly with the gold items! It looks as if our paths may cross again my friend! Hopefully we'll be blessed with another nice long stretch of awesome weather again!! 

Until then, dig deep and dump high, may there be a killer find in your path!

Congrats on your finds! ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1