Minelab CTX 3030 Vs White's V3i

Hi Y'all. I've been all over the map as far which detector I think I'm going to buy. Right now I think it's either going to be the CTX3030 or White's V3i. I got some questions.

How does the Minelab's auto ground balance technology compare to White's auto ground balance technology? 

In particular, in terms of ground balancing, how does the CTX 3030 compare to White's V3i?

How do the discrimination abilities of the CTX3030 and V3i compare?

White's user manuals are written much better than Minelab's user manuals. How much do you agree with this statement?

Minelab claims, "FBS (Full Band Spectrum) simultaneously transmits, receives and analyses a full band of multiple frequencies." 

Whiteselectronics claims, "... digital waveforms also produce unde- sired harmonic frequencies. Lots and lots of harmonic frequencies, 10’s or even 100’s of them. These harmonics have no useful energy and are not part of the signal processing. So while we can claim to transmit many, many frequencies, we cannot claim to process or use them. Therefore, we could easily claim the Spectra V3i transmits 17 frequencies, or 28, or 39, or 55—we could get plain silly with this. And such a claim would be true, technically speaking, but since all those extra frequencies are not actually used, it would be misleading to make such a claim. White’s chooses, instead, to claim the number of frequencies we are actually using and processing. It may not sound as impressive as a 55-frequency detector, but it’s honest and accurate. "

So, either Minelab's claim is false, or White's multifrequency technology is not as sophisticated as Minelab's, which is it? Or I'm misinterpreting something. 

- Nugz

Hi Nugz,

I own both machines. What is your intended use? Neither was designed specifically for prospecting.

Most prospectors would agree the V3i tracking is not up to that used in the White's MXT or GMT models which are based on a prospecting circuit. I would generally only use manual ground balance on the V3i myself.

The CTX does fine for its intended use as a coin and jewelry detector, but is not noted for being depth demon. What the CTX does is offer superb discrimination at depth, not the same thing as sheer depth. Most would agree the CTX does this in a simpler fashion than the V3i. The V3i can perform very well but the expertise required to squeeze the most out of it defeats many people.

White's manual is very detailed because the machine requires it. The CTX manual does not go into much detail but then again it is an easy machine to master by comparison to the V3i. The V3i does have many preset out of box modes that do all a person normally might need, but chasing better performance can lead down the rabbit hole with the vast number of settings options.

Frequencies like coils are a detector marketers dreamland. Minelab advertising is not false, it is just very carefully written and people reading it make false assumptions. I honestly think focusing on practical results is more important. The CTX has superb discrimination and all around performance, and is a really great coin and jewelry detector, and is waterproof. It does ok at relic hunting and prospecting. It can only be run in multi frequency mode.

The V3i can be run in any one of three frequencies exclusively, and it is this ability that sets it apart. The knowledgeable operator can use the capability to get extra performance on desired targets. All normal VLF prospecting detectors run at a single frequency for a reason - you get more punch at a single frequency. The 22.5 kHz single frequency mode on the V3i is very hot on small gold nuggets.

In multi frequency mode it is not how many frequencies, it is how they are used. The behind the scenes processing going on is the key. How each machine uses whatever frequencies it uses and delivers information to the user can be seen more in how they perform in the real world than in marketing claims. Both have their fan clubs and the more you research the more you will find you just have to pick one based on the feature set that appeals to you personally. If you are a nuts and bolts detector nerd turned on by a zillion settings than the V3i appeals. The CTX is much more basic but gets the job done just as well if not better for most people.

The V3i has more issues with electrical interference than the CTX. Lots of threads on the Internet about that.

I very much like both machines for their respective capabilities, but if I had to keep one it would probably be the CTX. Mainly because it is waterproof and I can use that now and then. Both are basically my urban detectors. The CTX is great for deep coins in parks. The V3i is my urban jewelry detector. For prospecting I would rather use a Gold Bug Pro, F19, or FORS Gold. I have been toying with the CTX and V3i as prospecting units but they are kind of like taking a fine sports car four wheeling. If that is what you want to do however they will do it, both detectors have been used to find gold nuggets.

• Like 2

Google the comparison but here is one of the results:

I really liked the Whites but the Achilles heel of it is that it dose not have software like the minelab excange2 software to change the settings and make patterns\modes ect.

Doing this through the detector is a real pain!

If whites made software like minelab there detector would definatly still be in my kit.

I got rid of mine because I play with the settings constantly and it was a pain compared to the CTX and it filled the same need.

But I loved being able to use one frequency.

If the Whites had software for bulding modes, changing settings like the CTX

It would probably be my goto coin\treasure detector.

The ability to interface the V3i with a PC was promised early on and never delivered on. That was a disappointment.

All the on screen magic the V3i performs is a wonder to behold but half the time it is just easier to dig the target than to analyze it 16 different ways. Main thing for me it is runs my Big Foot coil.

The ability to interface the V3i with a PC was promised early on and never delivered on. That was a disappointment.

All the on screen magic the V3i performs is a wonder to behold but half the time it is just easier to dig the target than to analyze it 16 different ways. Main thing for me it is runs my Big Foot coil.

Its a pitty they never delivered.

As this is a major failing on the Whites.

I love the excange2 software and how quickly\easily you can make a entirely new mode with discrimination pattern and audio pattern and settings to suit your needs.

I have made 47 different modes for all of my different types of locations and goals.

Although the manual is quite simple you can do a lot with the CTX to customize it to suit your needs.

I really like the long audio type in conjunction with a two tone audio pattern

And my custom discrimination pattern it is deadly on gold in the trashy tailing's.

The target separation and discrimination is second to none when you learn how to best use the settings, target trace, audio pattern and discrimination pattern to get the most out of it.

Well, I live in Minnesota and so gold in the ground is scarce. I live in the cities and so I'll often use my detector in urban parks and beaches, looking for lost gold jewelry. I'd say my usage will break down as follows:

50-60% urban parks and beaches looking for lost gold jewelry

30-40% undeveloped land for tiny gold nuggets

10-20% coins and relics

I'd like the machine to be hot on gold nuggets at depths ranging from 1" to 12", reason being I'd rather dig a lot of little holes and find nothing than one big hole and find nothing. 

I'd also like the machine to be hot on gold jewelry at the same depths. Question: is there a typical upper bound on the depth lost jewelry becomes buried at? I find it hard to imagine that a lost ring at a beach could find its way deeper than a foot, unless a bobcat came in and moved a lot of sand around. What to you think? 

Other technologies I'd like are auto ground balancing and super great target ID and discrimination. 

- Nugz

I go for the CTX myself never used either but they seem pretty bad ass. If and when i strike a good patch i'll likley buy one to use as my all round VLF.

As for the ring - it can easily sink over a foot at the beach. The habitat the coin or ring is in effects how fast and deep it will sink. Part of the fun of detecting is learning at what depth items from different eras lay at in different locations. Target ID can only be the computers best guess and disc. can mask small rings,earrings, chains.

i'm sure you'll enjoy either machine.