New Equinox 15x12" DD Coil

NSC

We know there will be a little more coverage.   Depth seems to be varied..... depend on who is testing this coil, which maybe their skill level or EVEN a coil differences between the 11 and 15......some may have hotter coils.   If you are looking for smaller gold IN the water..... it may not be an advantage....... but if you are a big gold hunter it might cut out some of the smaller trash and give a better response on a deeper ring..... even if the depth difference is slight.  

Great report NSC, thanks!

In extreme mineral ground I would expect the 11” coil to have better depth on most targets. In milder ground the 15” should have the edge for depth, but mileage will vary. That’s why I never jump on the “bigger coil, more depth” bandwagon when talking large VLF coils. I buy them strictly for coverage and will just take whatever depth comes along with that extra coverage. This is one light coil for its size and no problem for this GPZ owner to swing for 12 hour days. I already have over 160 hours on the coil. It suits a lot of what I do and will see much more use than other large VLF coils I have owned. Good job Minelab!

minelab-equinox-800-15-12-dd-coil.jpg
Steve's Minelab Equinox 800 with new 15" x 12" DD coil

• Like 4

I’ve been wishy washy about whether I would get the 12x15 coil. UNTIL I started to see the early comments. Now there’s no question that I’m getting one. I’ve called around and it will take a month or so before I would get it and of course we’re now heading into the slow season as far as detecting goes. I’m glad I have the 6” for now It’s been making my favorite sites produce, though not without a tick bite just about every time I go into the woods. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, relicmeister said:

I’ve been wishy washy about whether I would get the 12x15 coil. UNTIL I started to see the early comments. Now there’s no question that I’m getting one. I’ve called around and it will take a month or so before I would get it and of course we’re now heading into the slow season as far as detecting goes. I’m glad I have the 6” for now It’s been making my favorite sites produce, though not without a tick bite just about every time I go into the woods. 

Slow season?  As a fellow relic hunter, the season is just starting to ramp up for me.  November is my ideal relic hunting month as the weather cools, thickets thin off, the creatures thin out, and the crops are harvested.  Would like to get my hands on that large elliptical for plowed field coverage.

23 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Great report NSC, thanks!

In extreme mineral ground I would expect the 11” coil to have better depth on most targets. In milder ground the 15” should have the edge for depth, but mileage will vary. That’s why I never jump on the “bigger coil, more depth” bandwagon when talking large VLF coils. I buy them strictly for coverage and will just take whatever depth comes along with that extra coverage. This is one light coil for its size and no problem for this GPZ owner to swing for 12 hour days. I already have over 160 hours on the coil. It suits a lot of what I do and will see much more use than other large VLF coils I have owned. Good job Minelab!

minelab-equinox-800-15-12-dd-coil.jpg
Steve's Minelab Equinox 800 with new 15" x 12" DD coil

I agree that it looks like it would gain you more coverage then depth compared to the 11" coil.

The 15" is elliptical, which may not be as deep as if the coil was actually 15" wide.

The stock coil is 11" round DD, almost as wide as this 15"x12".

Making this particular coil egg shaped brings back some sensitivity to smaller items that may have been lost when up sizing the coil. Its a similar aspect ratio to the little 5"x10" prospecting coils etc.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Alluminati said:

I agree that it looks like it would gain you more coverage then depth compared to the 11" coil.

The 15" is elliptical, which may not be as deep as if the coil was actually 15" wide.

The stock coil is 11" round DD, almost as wide as this 15"x12".

Making this particular coil egg shaped brings back some sensitivity to smaller items that may have been lost when up sizing the coil. Its a similar aspect ratio to the little 5"x10" prospecting coils etc.

The other thing the elliptical shape does is make the coil lighter.  You trade off 15" coverage at a lower weight for a small decrease in depth performance vs. a 15" round coil.

• Like 2

Picked mine up yesterday and got out for an hour in a local park that is well hunted but still produces silver. I was blown away by how light and easy to swing this coil is. I ran it in park 1 with the same settings I use with the both the stock and small coil. It basically reacted to all targets exactly as the stock coil and actually pinpointed very well. I was able to pop up one silver Rosie dime that was under a root at about 7 inches. Compared the my CTX 17" coil, this was an absolute pleasure to swing. Can't wait to put more hours in with it, especially at the beach.

• Like 5

On 11/1/2018 at 8:53 PM, NSC said:

Light for size, very sensitive for a big coil, good pinpointing and really great depth ( depth at the beach amazes me and gives me a workout to dig targets )...

Hey mate, did you use the counterweight extension for your CF shaft? Do you think it necessary/worthwhile? If so, what weight is it? Regards, Darren.