New Equinox 15x12" DD Coil

NSC

Steve...... does the larger coil loose sensitivity to your smaller gold pickers.........but gain more on the coin end?   Was the coil shaped this away to try and maintain some of that low conductor sensitivity?   In the water i dont have a lot of trash right now ..... or any targets much because of the sanded conditions.......but minerals and iron do seem to gather requiring me to run recovery at 4 for less chatter.   im still wondering what the depth difference would be between the two coils on say a 5 gram ring IN the water? 

3 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

Steve...... does the larger coil loose sensitivity to your smaller gold pickers.........but gain more on the coin end?   Was the coil shaped this away to try and maintain some of that low conductor sensitivity?   In the water i dont have a lot of trash right now ..... or any targets much because of the sanded conditions.......but minerals and iron do seem to gather requiring me to run recovery at 4 for less chatter.   im still wondering what the depth difference would be between the two coils on say a 5 gram ring IN the water? 

I know you directed your questions to Steve but allow me to pitch in with some conments as I recently acquired the 15" coil:

Coil Shape/Depth:  The elliptical shape simply enables 15" swing coverage while conserving weight vs. a 15" round coil.  ML was going for a high coverage coil that provides slightly more depth performance than the stock 11" coil (which is a fairly deep coil for its size already) with a MINIMAL weight penalty.  Having swung this coil for a few hours, I would say "Mission accomplished!"  The depth performance is subject to SO many variables that in fact you may find that under certain conditions for certain specific targets you may actually find the 11" gives better depth.  So you can say that in general you would expect to gain an inch or two perhaps in depth over the stock at best.  In beach mode (most sensitive to high conductors), not sure there would be that much difference between the two coils in depth on your heavy mid-conductive (gold) target. But would have to explicitly run a test to be sure.

Chatter and recovery speed: The interaction of recovery speed, proper ground balancing, swing speed and sensitivity is complex.  If you find you have to lower recovery speed to reduce ground noise chatter due to black sand mineralization which is what I think you are describing, that is actually odd because lowering recovery speed usually tends to increase ground noise effects.  Are you running GB tracking?  In your case, lowering recovery speed is not otherwise detrimental, you don't run a high risk of missing masked targets since your trash is low density.  But if I was getting a lot of chatter I would ensure I: had a good noise cancel; had sat GB or use tracking; and perhaps back off on sensitivity; with lowering recovery speed last on my list.  But that's just me.

• Like 1

I’m must have wrote it wrong, because  I’m INCREASING the recovery from 3 to 4.  Ive tried all 3 GBs.   I get a little more chatter from default GB... but I know when I’m getting near the hard pan.  We don’t have a lot of minerals here but we do get concentrated black sand like most beaches.  

Depth IN the water ?

I have had the 15" in the saltwater 4 times now and it hits deep on small targets 

...But.... I find the depth meter is not always correct and I dont hunt with a measuring tape . In the water I am not about to to quickly swap over to the 11" coil to compare, I may never find that exact spot again.

The only way I can see that comparison happening is for 2 hunters with the same machine and the exact same settings, each with a different coil to compare a signal and then dig it and try to measure its depth under 2 or 3 feet (or more) of ocean.

As Chase said, there are so many variables that can affect depth

I had to use Tracking & constantly adjust Sensitivity yesterday to keep it quiet due to black sand...but that is no different to 11" coil for this beach.

IN the water everything is much harder - just extracting a deep target with wave action buffeting you and with fast collapsing sand can be a challenge (let alone measuring it)  - as I found yesterday. The sand fell in as fast as I could dig, so only fast digging and accuracy worked.

I find the 15 OK to swing underwater but obviously not as light as the 11.

It seems to handle minerals and conditions equal to the 11.

My 15" smacks a 5gram gold ring but depth measurement underwater is almost never going to be accurate IMHO.

• Like 3

NSC...... i totally get you about depth in the water, in fact i get a chuckle from people saying i dug a ring at 2' today.  My reply would normally be ...... you need to adjust your PPing lol.   Its impossible to know depth unless like you say there are two hunters doing comparisons on found targets with the same settings.   Im in the Gulf...... so its easier to pick a calm day for testing.   You have to be honest with yourself too.   Did that ring seem deeper than i would have gotten it with other machines...... or am i just excited about the new toy.   Another reason i say....... things start getting equal regardless of machine out there.   But i have no doubt the Nox is hotter on the smaller gold IN the water.

• Like 1

• Like 2

You ever notice how FAST people move a target when air testing.   Id like to see them swing that coil that fast all day.  Now ..... that slow movement resembles the Explorers.  Ive also gotten better results using a knife in the side of the hole and pushing the target in.  I did that for my test gardens and it seemed less time for the soil to return to normal.  What hes showing is what ive also found on the beach.... if you run the coil HIGH off the sand you will miss more targets than you think.   Glad to see some videos on this coil and just how well the Nox does.    Very believable video..... nice.  Man .... youd think id be KILLING it on deep stuff on the beach that GB at 0.  

• 2 weeks later...