Sign in to follow this  
normmcq

Indicators

Some nice crystals there Norman ? Those are a huge rarity in Otago here in the south Island of New Zealand. I am picking because of the glaciation but also the old hard rock mine dumps just don't have any good crystal material. Unlike from where I came from up north from the Coromandel region where they were a dime a dozen. Spent many a fun time combing over the old hard rock mine dumps gathering up bucket loads. I have only ever found one down here that was worth picking up & putting in my pocket. Now I don't even know where that one has ended up. :rolleyes: I tried finding it to show Simon.

Good luck out there

JW :smile:   

• Like 2

Nice indicator in the middle?.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I’ve learned on the areas I hunt the most the bigger the crystals the bigger the gold. 

• Like 1

Yep....you can't beat finding gold as a good indicator. Probably the best. :laugh: The square cube shape of the pyrites, is that what they call, Devils Dice?

Always love seeing your silver specimens Jim. ?

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

• Like 2

Norm,

That's a nice collection of "indicators".  Your collection mirrors my 'finds" during the many visits to the foothills of Rye Patch, including the gold. 

Optically clear, fully terminated quartz crystals, plus the Iron Pyrite (AKA Fool's Gold) in their cubic form of, are both prevalent minerals to be found in gold baring areas.  They are just some of the indicators in new areas, much as Norm has indicated.

Happy hunting out there!

good stuff Norm i like it when i see Limonite on the ground be it in quartz or single crystals like those you are showing.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By tvanwho
      I was hiking in an area in central Indiana not really known for hotrocks.
      I  went to check a creek island out for kicks and found out it is covered with rusty red rocks, and purple and pink rocks.The island is roughly 100 feet long and 20 feet wide and 4 feet high above the fast moving creek.It is jam packed with these rusty red rocks. Downstream is all a sheet of bedrock and small gravels and NONE of these rusty red rocks. I was told I could not pan, not so sure about detecting unless maybe my Falcon Gold Probe? How does one use this detector to check for ferrous and non- ferrous rocks exactly? I need to get some small gravels/dirt maybe and pan offsite.
      So, why is this island , or my so called Hot Rock island , like this? We usually only find red hematites and black sands and white gravels  in Indiana creeks and not very many of them. But gold is usually found where the red stones are at and chunky black sands.
      -Tom V. 
    • By Steve Herschbach
      “Robert Louis Desmarais is the only inhabitant of a Californian ghost town, Cerro Gordo, where he has been searching for a lost vein of silver for 22 years.
      A 70-year-old former high school teacher, Desmarais used to visit the remote spot in the school holidays to search for ore. But he eventually moved there full-time, to live away from the crowds "up in the mountains, under the stars".
      Cerro Gordo (Fat Hill in Spanish) was once the most fruitful silver mine in California. 
      "It helped to build Los Angeles," Desmarais says. 
      Convinced there is plenty of silver left, he descends 800ft with a chisel and hammer to "crack rocks and see what's behind them".”
      More story and photos at https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-49084230
    • By Skookum
      I’m curious to how you all see the mineralization of the soils you detect compared to other locations. Our soil here in central Arizona seems to be fairly mineralized. But, we haven’t been detecting anywhere out of state to let us effectively compare. Here’s a USGS map showing relative iron concentration in US soils. There appears to be heavy iron concentrations in the Pacific Northwest.  Does this reflect your experience on the ground?  If so, has this affected what you choose to swing?  If not, how do you think your soil compares to elsewhere?
      us iron concentrations.pdf
    • By jrbeatty
      NASA’s Mars 2020 will land in Jezero Crater, pictured here. The image was taken by instruments on NASA’s Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, which regularly takes images of potential landing sites for future missions.
      On ancient Mars, water carved channels and transported sediments to form fans and deltas within lake basins. Examination of spectral data acquired from orbit show that some of these sediments have minerals that indicate chemical alteration by water. The sediments contain clays and carbonates (courtesyNASA/JPL-Caltech/ASU/WUWT)
      Can't wait to wave a coil over those outwash gravel deposits. 
      At least there's no BB's and rusty nails, could be a few metallic meteorites though - - -
      Luckily, I've got an old hot air balloon under the house somewhere - and warm winter woolies, so I'll see all you good people later. Wish me luck - - -
      I offered to take Reg along on the expedition - but he declined the invitation - can't for the life of me understand why? Not like him at all  ;<)
    • By Ms.Molewacker
      Though I don't prospect, I'd like to share this - HH and enjoy!
      https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2019/05/worlds-rarest-form-natural-gold-reveals-secrets/
    • By mn90403
      Many believe that the nugget gets rounded by it tumbling about.  I have a large specimen that is flat on one side and I've always believed that it is that way because other objects passed over it as it stayed in place.  This article confirms that for Blackwood, Australia and says:
      ‘A feature of many of the goldfields of Victoria was the finding of large masses of gold nuggets.  They varied in size, and were not confined to any particular class of washdirt, nor with any regularity as to depth, but, from their disposition in restricted areas, certain belts can be regarded as typically nugget bearing.  On account of the soft character of gold, nuggets of any size are always well rounded.  This is due to the attrition of material passing over the nugget rather than rounded by rolling action.  Many of the large nuggets had one side relatively flat, while the other was well rounded.  Some of the nuggets were coated with oxides of manganese and iron; several had quartz attached to them, while a few were of ragged and roughly crystalline appearance.’

http://www.blackwoodpublishing.com/blackwood-eagle-nugget-found-1931/