Light Detection And Ranging (LiDAR)

Clay, thanks for taking the time to explain some of the limitations of LIDAR in easily understood language.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I can't say of this is Lidar and if so at what resolution - mainly because I'm too lazy to do all the work necessary to look up all the stuff I would need to to find the answers to all that.

Having said that, I'm posting an image from a detecting group I belong to in Denmark. This apparently is in an area which was submerged in a giant inundation caused by cyclonic storms hitting the low coast of Denmark in the 1400s.

My pals will be out there detecting soon!

post-3-0-83676600-1418423431_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...

Hello everyone, I'm new on the forum. I am Spanish, sorry for my bad English.

Thanks for this great forum, I am learning a lot.

Tengo un makro gold racer. He visto este hilo sobre el oro y los romanos en España.
Solo en mi región (norte de España, Asturias) los romanos tenían más de 460 depósitos de oro, algunos muy pequeños y otros enormes, en la actualidad hay 2 minas de oro en operación y otras 2 en estudios de apertura.

Solo he estado con mi piloto de oro durante 2 meses, y no he encontrado oro, algunas personas si encuentran una batea en los ríos.

Aquí nadie busca oro con detector, creo que el problema principal es demasiada vegetación y montañas muy verticales.

Estoy estudiando mucho el área.

Espero la visita de buscadores experimentados jaja, adjunto algunas fotos de sitios romanos donde todavía hay oro y algunas empresas quieren explotar.

1300142856723.jpg

2018-02-04 (1).png

oro-asturiano.jpg

roman mine.jpg

EMO-Presentacion_Nueva-ES_v2_ic1.pdf

Have been reading about the newly discovered Mayan city found with LiDAR in Guatemala. A pretty incredible find in the middle of a jungle area completely missed by archeologists. LiDAR surely will open up a lot of interesting areas of discovery.  

An interesting explaination of LiDAR: 

also, although this is England, it shows how LiDAR has a direct application to detecting.

LIDAR has come a long way since I worked with it in Alaska. I helped build and operate a LIDAR facility while working for the University of California at their remote research site in Fairbanks. Our area of research was ionospheric, we studied the Ionosphere gases for clues to what causes The Northern Lights. We did some ground penetrating work, but it was very limited due to lack of remote receiving sites around the world. Here are some pictures of the LIDAR building in operation and the telescope and laser. The laser light is yellow, which is the color of Sodium. We were studying Sodium at 90 km altitude.

lidar1.jpg.f763c8066ac02abb5b24b87b8b261915.jpg 

The sky is light in this pic because the pic was taken with a long exposure time.

mirror.jpg.9f0e8e935fb70e1cb00de623555389d6.jpg

This rotating parabolic dish holds 450 lbs of liquid Mercury. It is used as a telescope because there is no distortion like we get in a glass mirror. The dish is 9 feet in diameter.

• Like 7

• 3 months later...

I use LIDAR all the time here in Virginia to be able to see all the old mine sites.  It gives you the ability to see where the old timers were focusing their workings.  That way you can focus on specific areas once you get out in the field.  Lets you maximize your time in the field.   

I can make them using the available data online for most the east coast and parts of the west including the Lake Tahoe area of California.  It looks like lots more will become available to the public over the next few years.  It just the matter of finding all the data and having/knowing how to use the right programs to turn it into something useful.  Capture.thumb.PNG.40c4ce617c5c30e085c3ff91365ef944.PNG

It is a fantastic tool that all prospectors should use.  I've found a few undocumented gold mines/prospects in my area using it.  

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, PG-Prospecting said:

I use LIDAR all the time here in Virginia to be able to see all the old mine sites.  It gives you the ability to see where the old timers were focusing their workings.  That way you can focus on specific areas once you get out in the field.  Lets you maximize your time in the field.   

I can make them using the available data online for most the east coast and parts of the west including the Lake Tahoe area of California.  It looks like lots more will become available to the public over the next few years.  It just the matter of finding all the data and having/knowing how to use the right programs to turn it into something useful.  Capture.thumb.PNG.40c4ce617c5c30e085c3ff91365ef944.PNG

It is a fantastic tool that all prospectors should use.  I've found a few undocumented gold mines/prospects in my area using it.  

I use Lidar alot here in the UK for when i do research on a new permission,its improving all the time,provides a fantastic amount of additional information on activity on older sites,another additional tool that i have also experimented with is a quad copter,anything that gives you some extra help on a site is always welcome.

• Like 1