What Detector Did You Buy In 2018 And Why?

On 11/4/2018 at 2:28 PM, Bryce said:

Does the Minelab Pro-Find 35 pinpointer count?

Bought it to complement the Gold Monster I bought last year to speed up target recovery. Overall does a great job but tends to flip out at max power and keep beeping away until lowering the power or restarting it.

Unless you're sure that is normal behavior for the Pro-Find 35 (I have no idea), you may consider sending it in for warranty repair.  I recently had a similar situation with the new Fisher F-Pulse pinpointer--would go into these crazy falsing bouts.  Since most others seemed to like their F-Pulses, I finally called Fisher and got an RMA and sent it in.  Fisher sent me back a new one which works fine.

• Like 2

Metal Detectors purchased in 2018.....hmmmm   I think this is the list:

I bought a G2+ .   No longer have it.

I bought an Minelab Etrac and still have it.

I bought a Nokta Impact for a buy and try.   No longer have it.

I bought a Rutus Alter 71 for a buy and try.  No longer have it.

I bought a AT Pro and still have it.

There you go.

HH
Mike

• Like 1

I bought a GPX 5000 and a profind 35. I used to have a 4000 but had to sell it. I loved that detector. The 5000 is impressing me. Ilike the versatility of the 5000. It will compliment the monster completely. Discrimination works flawlessly. Have no interest in ever upgrading to the 7000. It has no smaller coils, no discrimination and in open ground it might be great but the places I hunt it is worthless. The 5000 will excel in these locations. Had to send in my profind 35, no sound. Got my replacement and it works great with no issues.

• Like 4

Forgot I also acquired a new Gold Bug DP this year.    Got it for sale.

HH
MIke

On the advice of lots of people on this forum I bought both the Equinox models. Love the 800!!!!! I like the 600 so much I just can't part with it and my grown up kids love to use it when we hunt together. (I guess I just keep spoiling them).  Other than the squirrely pinpointing I have absolutely no complaints. They have both helped me find plenty of coins and jewelry and some gold nuggets too.

A GPX4800 came up for sale in my area for about the same price as the new TDI SL I bought last year. It came with three coils and everything else and I am so glad I bought it!  Maybe it's just me but it feels quite a bit lighter than the GP3000 that I had for several years until I thought I was just too heavy. The 4800 goes a lot deeper much more easily than the 3000 and it blows away the TDI too. So goodbye TDI.

I know I'm crazy but I bought a Quest Q40 just to see if it was any good since the slightly used price was REALLY good. It is an amazingly fine detector for the money I paid for it and I can only hope that FTP and other US manufacturers can come out with something similar that has a much more modern design, with internal Li Ion rechargeable batteries, and bluetooth or 2.4 gHz wireless, and, and, and, and, and, that anyone no matter how old or what size or how strong, can use!

• Like 2

My 2018 purchase was a Equinox 800. I've only used it a couple of times, and its certainly different to the gold machines I'm used too, but I love it. Just need more time to get out and use it.

• 9 months later...

Bought a new ML Equinox 800, sold it after 8 mo's, bought an other XP,  a ORX ,  to go with my Deus.  One of the best trades i ever made.

Last machine I bought this past spring was the Sea Hunter mk2 pi for beach pounding. Got tired of the chatter and fiddling with gb to find anything. Need to put more hours on it but the few times I had it out I find it just far better than a vlf on the beaches around here. Prior to that I picked up my Tejon with the concentric coil for the trashy areas I hit and find more stuff wtih that machine. I keep eying some of the newer machine with vdi's but just keep going back to that Tesoro. Once that audio clicked with my simple brain i found it just too easy to find stuff.