Hats Off To Minelab On Nox800 Headphones

Well I can say for sure the wireless headphones that come with the 800 model are the best I've found so far.  I've been experimenting with different wireless brands of headphones and I've yet to find a single pair that comes close to the performance and minimal lag time compared to the stock phones.  Amazing machine.

Congrats Minelab.

minelab-ml80-wireless-headphones.jpg
Minelab Bluetooth / Apt-X Low Latency Wireless Headphones for Equinox 3011-0370

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Mark Gillespie said:

Well I can say for sure the wireless headphones that come with the 800 model are the best I've found so far.  I've been experimenting with different wireless brands of headphones and I've yet to find a single pair that comes close to the performance and minimal lag time compared to the stock phones.  Amazing machine.

Congrats Minelab.

Agree with you.  I find them to be comfortable and lightweight, plus not bulky at all.

That said, one thing that I would like for Minelab to do is to redesign all their charging cables to that they are longer, and also more flexible (similar in flexibility of the Apple brand cables). The Minelab ones are too stiff, specially if used in cool temperatures.

I am still using the first set of the included wireless headphones that come with the Equinox 800. Like before they put the Minelab logo on them. They are light, they always work, and lag time is acceptable to me. Once you get the pairing sequence down they pair every time without fail, or at least mine do. Yes, they are physically a little bit on the cheap side, but I really could not be happier with mine. I used them every day for 17 days straight in the U.K. I charged them every night, and never had a worry about running short at end of day. I have the backup emergency hardwire cable on hand just in case but have never needed to use it.

The second set I got with my production level Equinox was one of those that had the cushion retaining bracket cracked, new in the box. Looks like the tiny screws were over tightened. Just not a big enough deal to me to try and replace - a wrap of electrical tape, done. They are my backups anyway.

The new Apple Watch is going to have a walkie talkie mode. I wonder if the watch can be paired with the headphones, and then people with the watches could talk to each other in the field? That would be amazing if on a group hunt.

• Like 3

Cool indeed Steve.

You know ive heard a lot of knocks about the wireless phones but to me i found them pretty darn good when i first started out.   I was comparing the tones and all to other phones ive used and just having wireless was impressive to this ole guy.   THEN..... people found out how much they cost and all of a sudden they were junk.   I dont use mine but rarely since i have water phones, but i still kind of like them babies.

• Like 2

I agree, the wireless headphones work great and are nice and light. I am a little concerned about how the buttons will hold up over time. They don’t seem to be sealed against dirt and it’s almost impossible to keep them from getting a little dirty. Larger, more glove friendly buttons with a little bit of weatherproofing would be a big improvement.

Joe

• Like 4

Still using mine and have no complaints. Maybe I shouldn't but rain hasn't stopped me from hunting with them either...so far so good. 

• Like 3

We are talking about the 800..... since they dont come with the 600, so they always have the option of using their 1/4" phones..... and like most of us WILL buy new ones introduced as the best since peanut butter.  BUT you really have to be impressed with wireless........ just look back at some of the phones we used to use....... ugh.

On 11/5/2018 at 6:59 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

The new Apple Watch is going to have a walkie talkie mode. I wonder if the watch can be paired with the headphones, and then people with the watches could talk to each other in the field? That would be amazing if on a group hunt.

I like the walkie talkie Apple watch feature!  I assume that one has to have cellular service for this feature to function?  Reason I ask, is that we're finding the walkie talkies to be much easier to use then cell phones when were out in BFE detecting.  Texting and cell phone calls waste to much time.  You can chat on the walkies while detecting, and no issues.   What I wish existed (perhaps it does?) was a bluetooth wireless connector to plug into the walkie talkies (that standard dual 3.5mm plug) and you could simply pair that to your walkie and use VOX, that would be ideal. 

BTW I too like the ML headphones that came with the EQ800, they just work.  They audio is good, and the headphones are comfortable.  I also like that they are bluetooth so you can pair them with your phone or computer or whatnot.  They actually work pretty well if you need to take a call.

EDIT:  Well lookie what I found - lol

image.png.6f4e949a547c3f485ebe37c25c23ae17.png

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Earpiece-Listed-Walkie-Talkie/dp/B07939RPVK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1541516700&sr=8-3&keywords=walkie+talkie+bluetooth+earpiece+with+mic&dpID=41kDZcKd1oL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I wonder if I could simply use that walkie talkie transmitter/receiver to pair to the Minelab headphones? 

• Like 1

I've been enjoying the stock wireless headphones that came with my 800. What's nice is when you get the 800, you also get the WM 08 module. During the hot summer months, I often used that with a good pair of wrap-around ear buds and had zero issues with it. The stock headphones will be nice in colder weather for helping to keep my ears warmer.

Like a lot of headphones, the stock units are not the strongest on the planet, but using common sense and a little care, they should last a lifetime.

• Like 3