My UK Trip .... Double Ancient Gold!

On 5/27/2021 at 9:46 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

I imagine Tim is caught up in the same delay. Apparently finds have piled up at the processing end, but the authorities have done little to add resources for getting finds back, and things are just getting worse with time.

I am caught up in the same situation as you Steve. I just had the gold ring disclaimed and is awaiting a export license.  But I am yet to hear anything about the ingot. So as it stands I have 3 ancient gold finds awaiting for my return. And for clarification,  yes I could take the risk and have them mailed to me. But I choose not to, and they are in safe hands with "The Colchester guy".

Tim, Steve, I enjoyed hunting with you two over there in England. Cool trips! I've got one item I found in Oct 2019 declared as "treasure" that hasn't (to the best of my knowledge) even been evaluated yet. Due to the "experts" not being able to get together to do said evaluation because of the pandemic lock downs, I can understand the delay. What troubles me more is missing/stolen items. Coin collecting is the motivating force that got me started in this hobby, 51 year ago next week. I don't turn my nose up at cool relics and nice jewelry also, but, coins are my favorite find. In my last trip, I found a fairly rare coin, at least as a dug find. One that got posted (along with it's slick sister) on the Colchester website. It even had a comment posted by Chicago Ron that it was the best one he's seen dug. Well, somewhere along the way, it's disappeared. I know it made it from my pouch to whoever took the photos and posted them. After that, the trail has vanished, and nobody seems to be able find it. If this was an isolated incident, I might understand, but, this isn't the first item of mine that came up missing. In a previous hunt, I had found a gilded Victorian era candlestick that turned up missing from my finds also. Not as valuable to me as the coin, but still, it's something I was hoping to keep. I guess I'll have to take even better photos of each item next time, so, I can determine value and sue for damages! 😄

• Like 3

I had a known find disappear also - the smallest coin I ever found, so not surprising it fell in a hole somewhere. But still disappointing. The only record of it I have is the photo on the website... but no coin in my pouch when I got it back.

I'd very much like to give it another go, but with treasure finds now taking three years plus.... well, that's just too long for me. I thought a year was ok. A year delay, total of two years, I could put up with. Three years? That is simply unacceptable to me, so unless things change in that regard I guess I'm done. That's ok though. I made three trips, and had a great time, no regrets. :smile:

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1