My UK Trip .... Double Ancient Gold!

It is no different than making a deal with a claim owner to hunt their ground for a percentage, and then complaining after the fact about the deal that was agreed on in the first place. Or worse yet being a thief by reneging on a deal and sticking the finds in your pocket. And it is stealing, no other word for it.

If making deals and abiding by them is an issue for some, then do us all a favor and get out of detecting entirely. It is the scammers that ruin it for those of us who honor our word and actually have some integrity.

• Like 7

Not at all like claim jumping.. Transportation, lodging, the right and permission to hunt cost in the thousands.

What many fail to see is the fact that you are free labor for the land owner as well as the hunt organizer, not to mention the thousands you pay to get there and to have permission to hunt.

When you leave, unless things have changed, all finds are bagged and tagged and kissed goodby.

Good luck on having anything other than pocket change, old base metal coins, buttons of no value, and such retruned with out sending more $$$ to buy it after you dug it.

If you got all your finds back it's a pretty good indicator that you spent a buttload of money and found nothing but worthless junk.

gw

6 hours ago, kiwijw said:

I wonder how many good finds just end up in the finders pocket without them saying a word, & no one is any the wiser, & they just take it home. Would have to happen often I reckon. The temptation would have to be great knowing you could well lose it or only get, at the best, half its decided value. I am sort of with you Gwcracker as far as you doing all the work & brunting the cost of your hunt, & on finding something of value don't end up with it true worth. Sharing it with someone else who put in little to no effort in its finding. Sort of sucks. I know I wouldn't be happy if someone took half my gold finds & they had contributed nothing in the way of the costs, both in time in research & time out in the field, costs of fuel in travel & accomodation, costs of detecting gear etc. I guess for some the thrill of sharing what they find at the time of discovery is worth more to them than monetary value. The excitement, thrill, buzz & jubilation out waying that other value. That is until that wears off & they no longer have that item in their possession & may never see it again. Tricky one. But rules are rules & you know the rules before you get involved. Well I guess you should do anyway. Bit like mining on some else's gold claim & have them bust you & you crying out that you didnt know it was claimed, when you probably really did. The onus is on you to find out more than it is for them to tell you & make you aware. Ignorance isn't bliss these days.  

lll Digger: You did very well.? Good for you.

Good luck out there

JW :smile: 

Alot of finds probably do get pocketed.  But like Steve said, it's being stolen.  Plus you won't find any of these items without permission to be on the land in the first place.  That's what the organizers are payed for. Obtaining permissions. Plus handling every single step of processing through the British Museum.  I tell you one thing.  I don't know how to process a pouch of finds. So its money well spent in my eyes. But I'm honest. 

3 hours ago, Gwcracker said:

Not at all like claim jumping.. Transportation, lodging, the right and permission to hunt cost in the thousands.

What many fail to see is the fact that you are free labor for the land owner as well as the hunt organizer, not to mention the thousands you pay to get there and to have permission to hunt.

When you leave, unless things have changed, all finds are bagged and tagged and kissed goodby.

Good luck on having anything other than pocket change, old base metal coins, buttons of no value, and such retruned with out sending more $$$ to buy it after you dug it.

If you got all your finds back it's a pretty good indicator that you spent a buttload of money and found nothing but worthless junk.

gw

I was there in the spring.The last week of February and first couple of days of March.  While we were there in October I picked up my entire pouch from my February hunt. The only item I haven't got back yet is my Celtic gold quarter starter. And that's because it's part of a hoard and is still in the bowels of the BM. But all 10 coins found from this hoard prior to mine have been disclaimed and returned to the finders. So I'm not too concerned.  I didn't have to pay anything to bring my finds home. Or have to pay anything on top of my initial investment of the vacation. But I will have to buy out the land owner if I want to keep the coin.

Not a chance phrunt although I do know a few people who receive nice discounts from the hunt outfits for publishing mouth watering writeups about their successful hunt. ;)

Treasure defined.. note, a hoard is two or more objects.

gw

1Meaning of “treasure”.

(1)Treasure is—

(a)any object at least 300 years old when found which—

(i)is not a coin but has metallic content of which at least 10 per cent by weight is precious metal;

(ii)when found, is one of at least two coins in the same find which are at least 300 years old at that time and have that percentage of precious metal; or

(iii)when found, is one of at least ten coins in the same find which are at least 300 years old at that time;

(b)any object at least 200 years old when found which belongs to a class designated under section 2(1);

(c)any object which would have been treasure trove if found before the commencement of section 4;

(d)any object which, when found, is part of the same find as—

(i)an object within paragraph (a), (b) or (c) found at the same time or earlier; or

(ii)an object found earlier which would be within paragraph (a) or (b) if it had been found at the same time.

(2)Treasure does not include objects which are—

(a)unworked natural objects, or

(b)minerals as extracted from a natural deposit,

or which belong to a class designated under section 2(2).

I feel like I need to add that I am not dishonest, I am not a thief. My point is 

I will not spend the money as expensive as it is to hunt, dig, and not keep what I dug.

As I said earlier, I would not pay a fee to hunt diamonds in Crater of Diamonds Park if I had to hand them over to see if the State of Arkansas wanted them.

To end my participation and bow out of this thread, anyone detecting in UK will experience a hunt like you never experenced here, unless maybe you, as I, was one of the earlier hunters and hit some prime areas before they were made off limits.. Have thought about giving the Czech Republic a look!

Happy hunting all, good luck, and best wishes.

GW

The UK game is known worldwide.  The government makes their land and their antiquities available to finders.  Landowners want a cut of what is found on their land otherwise they would just do it themselves or hire someone to do it they trust.  The rules are pretty clear.  If it is museum quality you can't keep it.  If it is anything less you can keep it but you have to split it with the land owner.  It is his land and his rules permission.  Many of the land owners get 50% and share that with the tour operator.

If you know of a better deal, take it.  Go to the UK and get a permission for free.  Go to a different country and get any permission to export at all.  Try Europe or Asia or North Africa.  Try getting meteorites out of Algeria a legal way.

What do detectorists have to pay for permission to coin hunt properties in the Northeast for Colonial coins?  I know a real estate agent who got permissions when he sold their properties.  He would go detect his listings.  How long does it take you to find an owner who will give you free permission? (They are out there but that costs money to find also.)

We who are near forests and BLM land should be grateful and take advantage of our protected permissions to find natural gold and minerals on unclaimed land before a politician changes the rules.

Mitchel

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Tim, that was some amazing finds before the last day and then to have gold to top it! simply amazing.. Please let us know when you get them back? Those are amazing pieces of gold.. just amazed.  What did you win for finds of the week?

Thank you for sharing,

Josh