Decided To Get Me Another AT Pro

Decided to get me another AT Pro.

Last hunt back I was out in a light drizzling misty rain with my metal detector wrapped in a walmart bag and decided I needed a wet weather detector.   Did a review and I know its not the new darling around town but I remembered how well the Garrett coil performed for me in the past and decided to get another one.

Looking forward to chatting about it later.

HH
Mike

70DBEA25-8C0C-41BE-A1E0-658651F4B102.jpeg

• Like 4

• The title was changed to Decided To Get Me Another AT Pro

I think it was just the low price that got me excited about the 705.   Then reality set in and I remembered they are basically a money pit and that I didn't like them the first 4 times I went around with them and it would be pretty dumb to go around a 5th time and expect a different outcome.  

Speaking for the AT Pro, I like the AT Pro when I've owned them in the past and I have a need for one.   So much better decision with a better outcome.  

By the way, the ATPro is pretty cheep right now too.

HH
Mike

• Like 1

The detector arrived Friday so I got to use it Sunday.

Using the ATPro is like riding a bicycle.   Once you have done it once its no problem to do it again.   Very nice.  

Nothing special to report for my maiden hunt other than a little over $7 in clad.  ($4.75 in quarters, $1.70 in dimes, /.50 cents in nickels, and about 20+ pennies.  

I like Pro mode for most stuff, but I like STD mode for digging aluminum.   Aluminum range targets really stand out in STD mode, and I dig a LOT of aluminum.   I'll probably use STD mode in my patches and Pro mode everywhere else.

I'm very pleased with it.

HH
Mike

• Like 1

The AT Pro was a real breakthrough for features and price when it came out. There are so many great deals on detectors these days it is hard not to revisit some old favorites.

Garrett 2018 Metal Detector Catalog

Garrett AT Pro Manual
Garrett AT Gold Manual
Garrett AT Max Manual

garrett-at-pro-gold-max-specification-co
Garrett AT metal detector models compared

• Like 4

There was a new Garrett Catalog included in the box.   Garrett makes a nice Catalog.   

HH
Mike

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I had an AT Pro about 3 years ago and had a blast water hunting.  As a result of meeting a guy and his wife who lived somewhere in North Carolina and several silver ore specimens in the back of his car, I sold the detector to him.  He told me if the detector was able to detect the ore in these large rock he would buy the detector on the spot.  The very last thing he asked  before leaving was, "how deep could this detector find a 5 gallon bucket of silver coins", will all I could say was, if the ground was fairly clean of iron trash, maybe 2 feet deep, but I couldn't say for sure.  Never heard from him again.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2018 at 10:52 AM, Mike Hillis said:

I think it was just the low price that got me excited about the 705.   Then reality set in and I remembered they are basically a money pit and that I didn't like them the first 4 times I went around with them and it would be pretty dumb to go around a 5th time and expect a different outcome.  

Speaking for the AT Pro, I like the AT Pro when I've owned them in the past and I have a need for one.   So much better decision with a better outcome.  

By the way, the ATPro is pretty cheep right now too.

HH
Mike

xterra 705 a money pit ? I got mine  used on ebay under $300, with 10.5"  round  hf  coil . it has found gold and silver jewelry, 1800's silver coins. Indian head penny, and a 1906 v nickel. Never had any problems with the detector. It must have found the previous owner a pile of treasure because it looked beat when I got it. 

• Like 1

Xterra 705 a money pit?  Yes it is is.  Go buy coils.  Go buy the low frequency coil sizes and types you want, then go buy the high frequency coils sizes and types you want , then go buy the medium frequency coils sizes and types you want.  Adds up real fast.   But, then again, if you can make do with just one or two total coils then I'd guess you'd be ok.    Some aftermarket mfgs are building dual frequency coils you can switch with a nine volt battery so that cuts down coil prices a little bit.  

The ATPro works fine and does exactly what I need it to do.  Speaking of coils I do need to get a larger coil for it.   Can't decide what to get just yet.  

HH

Mike

• Like 3

On 1/21/2019 at 8:55 AM, Mike Hillis said:

Xterra 705 a money pit?  Yes it is is.  Go buy coils.  Go buy the low frequency coil sizes and types you want, then go buy the high frequency coils sizes and types you want , then go buy the medium frequency coils sizes and types you want.  Adds up real fast.   But, then again, if you can make do with just one or two total coils then I'd guess you'd be ok.    Some aftermarket mfgs are building dual frequency coils you can switch with a nine volt battery so that cuts down coil prices a little bit.  

The ATPro works fine and does exactly what I need it to do.  Speaking of coils I do need to get a larger coil for it.   Can't decide what to get just yet.  

HH

Mike

I guess all detectors need an array of coils to match varied conditions as they usually only come with one. no disputing the fact the at pro is a good machine, but if you want the lower or higher freq. you need to buy different detector not just a coil. I've purchased numerous aftermarket coils for most of the detectors I own. I have used NEL, CORS, and detech and they all seem to work great. I'd recommend the ultimate 13 coil for your at pro. it's light weight and performance make it a top contender. I have one for my whites detectors and am very happy  with it. The best of luck to you in 2019 !

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/21/2019 at 7:55 AM, Mike Hillis said:

HH

Mike

I bagged the Nel Big for my AT Pro. It runs very smooth, goes really deep +3' for a beer can in dry sand on the beach. On average it does 50% deeper than stock coil as they say. Pin pointing you need to shorten your sweep and go a bit slower for the AT to catch up and lock in. Downside is this coil is heavy! I got a sling and that didn't help so I shorted up the shaft and run the coil as close to my feet without tripping over it. Think it weighs in around 3lbs? Like swinging a Chiwawa at the end of a broom stick.

In trashy areas it can be difficult to ground balance so I usually do the auto balancing then tweak it just above some grunting on swings. Seems to get me in the right range.

Got some old grounds that others beat the hell out of I will hit with it.

• Like 3