Best Detector For England

Steve,

I just signed up for a two week detecting trip to Colchester, England this coming October.  Since you've been there before I would appreciate your advise on the best detector to take there.  I currently own a White's MXT and a Garrett AT Pro but have been considering a new XP Deus due to it's light weight.  Your thoughts?  Thanks.

No matter what go with a machine you have used a lot and are very familiar with. The worst place to get used to something new is on rare and expensive trips.

When I was there I actually took three detectors, the F75, MXT Pro, and CTX 3030. I may as well have left the CTX and MXT home because I pretty much just used the F75. But I saw a lot of people using the CTX and MXTs and Tesoro units. Teknetics T2 was real popular at one point. All you need is a reasonably light weight fast swinging detector that bangs hard on non-ferrous targets. Depth is not so much an issue, just covering lots of ground recovering lots of targets. I dug hundreds of non-ferrous targets every day.

Your MXT would work good, your AT Pro would work good - there are probably a hundred detectors that would work just fine. The DEUS is light weight and geared to digging non-ferrous and so very popular in Europe right now. The New Racer is another new option at a lower price along with the Fisher F19, which has been out less than a year.

Again though, I would sure recommend something you are real familiar with. If I was going tomorrow I would probably just grab my F75 again. I like the balance and I have a zillion hours on it so I know what it is saying to me.

Fun trip. I am starting to think maybe I need to do it again. I am sure you will have a great time. It is almost impossible not to find stuff 1000 years or more old.

My trip to the UK http://www.detectorprospector.com/steves-mining-journal/colchester-uk-metal-detecting-fisher-f75-whites-mxt.htm

Colchester Treasure http://www.colchestertreasurehunting.co.uk/home.htm

Gary's UK Detector Reviews http://www.garysdetecting.co.uk/fieldtests.htm

Great advice, thanks alot.  I've had an MXT since they first came out and it's served me well down thru the years.  Just had White's do a "tune up" on it along with a new DD coil so guess I'll take that as my primary detector.  For a backup I pre-ordered one of the new Minelab GO FIND detectors that should fit perfectly in a carry on bag due to it's small fold up size.  I'll be going with a friend and neighbor who has been going to Colchester twice a year for the past 5 years so I've got a good mentor.  

On 3/23/2015 at 3:25 PM, walkerrj said:

Steve,

I just signed up for a two week detecting trip to Colchester, England this coming October.  Since you've been there before I would appreciate your advise on the best detector to take there.  I currently own a White's MXT and a Garrett AT Pro but have been considering a new XP Deus due to it's light weight.  Your thoughts?  Thanks.

Bring your MXT, I have tried them All and the MXT is the Machine I keep going back to, It's deep and fast enough to deal with the junk filled sites and finds the good stuff,