Ridge Runner

Opinion. Do You Really Think One Detector Can Do It All ?

I myself haven’t had the opportunity to truly answer this question but maybe some of you can .

Chuck 

• Like 1

Not yet, they're coming close with the Equinox but it still doesn't come close to the GPZ in gold capability, if they could mix those two together they'd have a fantastic detector.

• Like 3

prunt

With what you said it would have to be a hybrid detector. Who knows just maybe we’ll see this come to be in 2019.

I’ll give it a name of Evolution.

Chuck 

• Like 4

Not without weight issues and thats half the reason I swing the Deus is lite weight and discrimination.

But to gain depth and be at the top of the line for gold requires the GPZ 7000.

So if they can combine the 2 and still come out under 3lbs that would do it for my detecting.

• Like 2

Rather than a hybrid machine that uses both PI and VLF, we'll probably have to wait for a completely different technology to come along.  But for one detector that can be used effectively in place of a variety of VLF detectors, the Equinox is already here.

• Like 1

I think the new hybrids coming will have all the bells and whistles in one box and work well for whatever you might want to hunt for.

• Like 1

An one detector do everything perfectly. No, and I doubt there ever be such a beast. A detector custom designed from the ground up to do only one thing perfectly will probably always have an edge.

That said I think we already have detectors that are good enough to “do it all” for what most people need in a detector. I could get by now with only one detector and would not feel overly constrained.

• Like 5

I’d have to say that the Equinox 800 is knocking at the door of doing it! 

At my time in life I think the Nox would do me well! I don’t see myself getting to nugget hunt as much as I would like because of the long trip to get there .

I’m waiting to see what 2019 has to offer but if it don’t look great I’ll just buy me another Equinox 800 . If Minelab had the small coil I’d never sold my Nox in the first place . I didn’t say I was the smartest rock in the box .

Chuck 

• Like 1

Nah, for me VLFs are just not up to the depth capability that the Z brings to gold detecting. If the Zs weight could be lowered dramatically and have CTX like CO & FE discrimination plus a range of coils, wow then we`d be getting there. Of course one can never say never, certainly not with ML doing their thing.  

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

... I could get by now with only one detector and would not feel overly constrained.

I think I know, but which one specifically?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Ridge Runner
      Not saying all but most comparison is between the Equinox and whatever they want to show off.
       I’ve seen this video between the Equinox and the New Anfibio before. 
      The funny thing is he put the Anfibio in deep mode to do the testing . Is someone telling me I got to put the Anfibio in this mode to get the most depth. My thinking is when I turn a detector on and set the sensitivity as high as I can get it to run that’s as deep it’s going. I guess with it I hunt this field with the regular settings then go back and hunt it in the deep mode. I say Bull Sh-t !
      Have you notice that most never say what the ID is showing.
       I’d like to see and I’m sure some are out there testing against their own detectors.
      I guess over in the U.K. maybe you want to hear a fair to good tone at fifteen inches. Just maybe the ID is not important to you but to me it is .
       Give me a detector that shows a good ID at 6 to 10” and that’s all I’ll ask for . If beyond that  it don’t give me a ID then it’s up to me to dig are not.
      I did like the tone when it detected something . On hearing some others it was like scratching on a black board .
       So many times the person doing the testing never had a Equinox in their hands before.
       I could take and nail a coffee can lid on to a broom handle to make the other something less if the need be .
      Chuck
      PS Why don’t you just let your detector stand on it’s own.
    • By Ridge Runner
      It is so many single frequency detectors out there and yes some do have more you can access. It really don’t make any difference it’s still one frequency at a time.
      What I can’t understand is more are being made and if not on the market already like we’ve seen this year . It will be another nugget and coin detector should be out by the end of November. Oh it’s telling how many frequency you can hunt in but still one at a time.
      I know I sound like a broken record saying one at a time but that’s the truth of the matter.
       When Minelab came out with the Equinox they raised the bar at a higher level that others have yet to reach . This is what all of the other detector companies have to strive for . If they can just equal the Equinox will keep them in the running. 
      I don’t see Minelab just sitting back without looking at the Equinox saying how can we make it better. 
      I myself is swinging a single frequency detector and I do like it . I’m not saying they don’t have a place in the detector market but over time will be less and less . 
       I’ve owned a Equinox 800 and I loved it but had it with the wait on a small coil so I sold it. If some others don’t come out with something to equal it in early 2019 I’ll get me another Nox .
      Chuck

• By Steve Herschbach
      Our cup runneth over!
      Just a few years ago the market for "over 30 kHz nugget detectors" was quite limited. For a long time there were only a few options:
      Fisher Gold Bug 2 (71 kHz) $764 with one coil
      Minelab Eureka Gold (6.4, 20, & 60 kHz) Discontinued $1049 when new with one coil
      White's GMZ (50 kHz) Discontinued $499 when new with one coil
      White's GMT (48 khz) $729 with one coil
      Things were that way for over a decade. Then in 2015 Makro introduced the Gold Racer (56 kHz) $599 with one coil. Sister company Nokta released the AU Gold Finder (56 kHz) $799 with two coils
      Then in 2017 we see the Minelab Gold Monster 1000 (45 khz) at $799 with two coils. And although not a dedicated nugget detector, the Deus high frequency coil options (up to 80 kHz) were also released, $1520 for complete detector with one HF coil.
      Now in 2018 we get another general purpose machine, the Equinox 800, that can hit 40 khz, $899 with one coil. And just announced...
      the Makro Gold Kruzer (61 kHz) $749 with two coils and
      the White's Goldmaster 24K (48 khz) $699 with two coils
      These last two announcements have made barely a ripple in the prospecting world, or at least going by other forums that seems to be the case. There are various reason for that (forums not being prospecting oriented or being Minelab centric) but still the lack of buzz is interesting. I do believe people are both burned out by all the new introductions and that the market is saturated with high frequency models. Leaving out the general purpose machines to sum up the current options it looks like the current "sweet spot" for pricing is a high frequency model at $749 with two coils.
      Makro Gold Racer 56 kHz - $599 one coil
      White's Goldmaster 24K 48 kHz - $599 one coil
      White's Goldmaster 24K 48 kHz - $699 two coils
      White's GMT 48 khz - $729 one coil
      Makro Gold Kruzer 61 kHz - $749 two coils
      Fisher Gold Bug 2 71 kHz - $764 one coil
      Minelab Gold Monster 1000 45 kHz - $799 two coils
      Nokta AU Gold Finder 56 kHz - $799 two coils
      High Frequency Gold Nugget Detector Roundup

• By rockhound
      Found some clubmates discussing who (and when) invented the first pinpointer. Google just found some hints. Feel free to discuss...

• By Ridge Runner
      We see new detectors on the market that offer to run in one frequency at a time. They have several to offer like the new XP ORX.
      In my opinion I think they can come back at a later day and have a update that could give you a multi frequency to run at one time like the Nox.
      Back in time it was turn on and go but as we all know today that don’t hold true anymore. That detector has a brain that we can access and I say if I set it up before for a change then I can come later to make that change.
      I want your opinion so lay it on me .
       Chuck 
    • By Ridge Runner
      The big thing one detector company open up in 2018 is a milt frequency. You can pick  one at a time are all numbers at one time.
      I believe that all other detector companies has to make this their goal too .
      I know this is putting the cart before the horse but what frequency numbers do you want to see in the new White’s in 2019 ?
      I myself want it more for coin hunting. I still would like to see some high numbers. I want it for small gold if I find myself on a beach are in the gold fields .
      Yes I do want to pick what I want to hunt in be one are all .
      I hope someone from White’s will chime in just to say they haven’t forgot about us faithful ones .
       Chuck