Gold Monster 1000 Vs Whites Gmt24k

White's does state that the 24K tracks multiple ground points simultaneously, and that other VLF detectors track only "one ground balance point":

"The Goldmaster 24k’s XGB is a new automatic ground tracking system that works by tracking multiple ground points simultaneously and quickly. Where other VLF’s track one ground balance point, the Goldmaster 24k tracks several, and can determine an optimal “ground window” based on ground history and strength."

WhitesPaper_XGB.pdf

However, White's doesn't really explain what "tracking multiple ground points simultaneously" means; and neither White's nor Minelab describe the algorithm used for tracking.  

• Like 1

Now, this thread is getting interesting! Bryan, I was once at a gold prospecting metal detecting seminar hosted by Jimmy Sierra, and one woman stated she wanted a "high performance gold prospecting metal detector that you don't want to spend any time getting to learn. All I want to do is to get out of my car, turn it on, start swinging, and then start digging up pockets full of big gold nuggets." Jimmy's response was that the time required to learn how to tune a metal detector was maybe 1/1000th the time required to learn HOW to properly operate the metal detector, and HOW properly identify potentially auriferous ground, and HOW to be a successful gold FINDER. If she wasn't willing to spend the time to learn 0.001% of what she needed to know, she wouldn't be likely to spend the time learning the other 0.999% of the things she needed to know. As we all know, success in the goldfields involves FAR more than just tuning a detector. Point being: if someone wants to excel at nuggetshooting they need to do EVERYTHING needed to ensure that success. Optimal detector, optimal detector tuning, optimal operator expertise.

Simplicity of operation: Goldmaster 24k: from the Factory default setting, press the ON button, pump the coil 3 to 5 times to establish ground balance. You're done. That's it. Start detecting. If you shut off the 24k, the last settings are saved, and automatically default to those settings once turned back, necessitating no further tuning if you've remained at the same spot. The only further (initial) tuning for a newbie would be to increase  target volume. Tap speaker button, press UP arrow until the screen reads "b2" (BOOST 2), press pinpoint/exit button to return to the operating mode, with the 24k optimally tuned for probably 90% of USA detecting conditions. Takes maybe 8 to 10 seconds. Simple enough?

Both the GM 1000 and the Goldmaster 24k use multipoint settings to establish an (average acceptable) ground balance setting. The circuitry on the 24k does so MUCH faster, 3-5 pumps versus 15-25. You may recall that some early anti-Monster YouTube videos from Oz were (rightfully) criticized form condemning the Monster due its being "unable to ground balance." They weren't putting forth the needed time and effort to establish proper ground balance.

As regards the 24k being able  to operate in ground which created severe tuning issues for the Monster, this was reported to me personally by Steve Howard and Tom Boykin when both machines were tested side by side in the gold pits in Brazil. Quote: "The Monster SERIOUSLY STRUGGLED to properly ground balance."

Yes, simplicity is good; but for my money, MORE features, greater adjustability, more options, despite their greater complexity, results in more gold. Come on, guys, ain't that's what we all seek? :) HH Jimmy M.

• Like 4

Jimmy, I agree--in theory, anyway :)  I generally prefer adjustability so long as it doesn't overwhelm the process of whatever I'm doing; and it sounds like the 24K strikes a great balance. 

But, as Bryan points out, there is also value in the GM1000's simplicity of operation.  Others have also noted its "fun factor," and based on the enthusiasm from long-time gold hunters, ML apparently got something right with the machine.

It's good to hear the 24K's tracking did hold its own against the GM1000 in those Brazil tests.  The 24K came a bit after the other recent VLF gold machines, and hopefully White's was able to add a few refinements based on what it observed in those machines.

Yes, D, metal detecting, in all it's facets, should be, first and foremost, FUN. Profit, if any, is an added bonus. My second hobby is fishing, but when I consider all the costs involved, plus lost  wages from time off from work, I could buy my fish at the market at a fraction of the cost. (Don't tell my wife....). But, I LIKE to fish. It's fun. And, like all hobbies, one's involvement in nuggetshooting, and their level of contentment therewith, is a totally personal and subjective matter, which really shouldn't be dictated or arbitrated by anyone else. My comments above merely reflect my personal opinion, which, for a variety of reasons, someone else may consider valueless. HH Jim  

• Like 3

I’m not going to argue with you Jimmy M. I found my first nugget in the early 90s with a Whites Goldmaster and I’ve had a few different models of them since then.  It looks like Whites has done a nice job with the 24k. 

Bryan

Hi Jimmy,

On this forum it does help if we know if a person is speaking from personal knowledge or not. You come across as a dealer or dealer representative, which is why I asked for clarification. It always piques my interest when people make definitive performance statements about detectors that I have in my possession and have actually compared to one another. Reality is rarely as clear as sales promotional materials.

Minelab Gold Monster 1000 Information page

White's Goldmaster 24K Information page

whites-goldmaster-24k-minelab-equinox-gold-monster-makro-kruzer.jpg
White's Goldmaster 24K, Minelab Equinox 800, Gold Monster 1000, Makro Gold Kruzer

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

I don't own a 24K. They look great and seem to work very well. I do own a Gold Monster 1000 and like phrunt I have never had to pump and sweep my GM1000 more than 5 to 10 times to give the automatic ground tracking a chance to sample the ground. I really like how it is lightweight, versatile and easy to set up. I hate the way it falls over all of the time!!!!!!

Jeff

Steve, I fully agree that there is a great deal of sales hype and brand-bias in this hobby/industry. And, yes, the qualifications/credentials of those offering opinions are certainly worthy of scrutiny. Actually, you personally know "Jimmy M." You and I have known one another for many years. We have always treated one another as friends. I will, below, present my credentials regarding my 35 year association/ love affair with electronic prospecting. By the time I finish revealing the following info, you, and perhaps others reading this, will be able to name me. In fact, the first person to post my name here will receive my soon-to- be released book on the 24k (title withheld here). Yes, even if the coppy will have to be mailed to NZ or Oz. Clues: I have been prospecting for gold with a metal detector for 35 years. Very successfully. I have written over 500 articles for various treasure hunting magazines. Of these, 56 have been metal detector field tests. I have written three very well received "how to" books on nuggetshooting, which have sold many tens-of-thousands of copies. As regards my knowledge of the Goldmaster 24k,  I was one of the team White's selected to test all the GMT 24k/Goldmaster 24k prototypes, and several successive generations of searchcoils. I have used the 24k, in 2 different states under radically different detecting conditions. As you know, White's has a Goldmaster 24k Dealer Certification Program. Gerry McMullen and I wrote it. By now you have likely identified me. One final clue: I wrote the 24k Field Test Report which appears in the October issue of "Western and Eastern Treasures" magazine. And since the question will arise "Did White's compensate you for that article?" the answer is NO, they did not. Yes, I did get paid $150.00 from W & E. As regards my challenged comments re: White's side-by-side Brazilian test of the two machines, refer to Steve Howard or Tom Boykin. As for "show me the (24k) gold", see the "Spud Diggers" YouTube videos on the 24k and Diamondville. Best wishes to all, and HH!

• Like 1

I figured it was you a Jim but on this forum we don’t play coy which is why I had to ask. I have never for instance ever seen you represent anything but White’s detectors and so weighing in on other brands... well, let’s just say disclosure is the proper way to go. Guys like Lunk, Gerry, LuckyLundy, etc. usually do that via dealer links in their signatures, plus they are longtime forum members and this is already common knowledge.

Welcome to the forum! :smile:

My Policy Regarding Dealers

Since you were so heavily involved in the development Jim, what in your opinion does the GMT do better than the 24K to justify the higher price?

• Like 2