Gold Monster 1000 Vs Whites Gmt24k

Wow, 19 minutes, way to go Dirtman! But since only one minute separated his and Steve's responses, and since good 'ol Steve already suspected my identity, so I'll call it a tie, and both will get copies of what I am tentatively titling "Advanced Nuggetshooting with the Goldmaster 24K." I am still refining it, so it hasn't been published yet.

Disclosure is a good thing, since it helps encourage accountability. I am known as Jimmy M on other forums, and my real identity is known there, so likely many on this forum already knew it was me. Since I just joined this forum I knew I already had friends here from other forums.

GMT vs. 24K. What I have been told is that White's will continue to produce the GMT as a demand exists. But, really, the 24K IS the superior machine. For many of us it is certainly worthy of upgrading to. A number of my GMT customers have already opted to upgrade to the 24k. I have. The 24k does indeed outperform the GMT. What do I like most? The flat-bottomed 6" 24k concentric gives better performance than the original (thicker) GMT version, so there is a depth plus there. On sub-grain pieces the thinner profile means greater usable depth. The 24k, fitted with the 6", gives better depth then the 10x6, at the same gain setting, but gives better response on microflakes. The patent-pending XGB ground balance system really improves performance in black sand washes with lesser need for lowering gain settings. Using a Iron Reject setting of 2 significantly enhances the ability to further cope with hot ground, while also eliminating many smaller/weaker hot rocks, but doing so with minimal loss of depth on microflakes. A killer combination in REALLY hot ground.

As mentioned, the 24k is a wonderful "turn-on-and go" machine, with the additional benefit of all those other options and features the advanced operator can employ as desired. In time more reports on it's performance will likely find their way to this forum.

Also, the Spud Diggers (actually Tough Run Metal Detecting) YouTube video showing Gerry and I (trying) to demo the just-received GMT 24k prototypes show us using business cards as targets. These cards had 1/4 grain gold flakes laminated to them, so you can see the performance of the 24k. Actually, at that point in time Gerry was only using the factory presets. The later production models (Goldmaster 24k) offer significantly better performance than those early prototypes.

• Like 2

I suspected I was correct in my answer.
One thing I would like to pass on to the general public viewing here, I am a 13 year resident of Arizona, I have had a couple of business dealings with Jim M. over the years and would like to convey my experiences/opinions  "Jim is a man of his word". And in todays world, that's a Top Notch Reference !
Hapy Huntn All.
Frank C.    aka  "Dirtman"  aka  "Ol Yeller"

I'm considering the 1000 or GMT. I visited a store in AZ Saturday. Hes been a Whites dealer for a long time and said the Whites machines dont work well here. He suggested Gold Bug or the 1000. Would the 24k perform better? 

I had a member informed me the dealer I talked with has never been a Whites dealer and was just trying to sell me what he had in stock. Good to know. 

Metal detectors don’t find anything. I can pick up any of the “over 30 kHz” detectors and do about as well with any of them. The fisherman catches the fish and which one of a dozen different poles I might be using is secondary to my being a knowledgeable operator who has placed myself on a good location.

I have used all the following detectors except the XP Orx and in my opinion they are far more similar in performance than they are different. Everyone wants to anoint one as somehow markedly superior to the others, thereby providing some level of comfort and closure for those who don’t like ambiguity. The fact is the performance differences are small and play out according to the skill level of the operator and the exact location mix of mineralization, trash, and gold. So while we can all enjoy the “this is my favorite” game nobody is going to be able to definitively prove that any one of these models is across the board better than all the others. The good news is they all work and can provide good results in capable hands.

Makro Gold Racer 56 kHz - $599 one coil

White's Goldmaster 24K 48 kHz - $599 one coil

White's Goldmaster 24K 48 kHz - $699 two coils

White's GMT 48 khz - $729 one coil

Makro Gold Kruzer 61 kHz - $749 two coils

Fisher Gold Bug 2 71 kHz - $764 one coil

Minelab Gold Monster 1000 45 kHz - $799 two coils

Nokta AU Gold Finder 56 kHz - $799 two coils

XP Orx up to 81 kHz - $799 one coil

Minelab Equinox 800 Multi or 40 kHz - $899 one coil

High Frequency Gold Nugget Detector Roundup
gold-nugget-high-frequency-metal-detector-gmt-bug-kruzer-goldmaster-monster-racer.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

True. There are three primary requirements to be successful at nuggetshooting: 1) Using a SUITABLE high-performance prospecting detector, optimally tuned. 2) Detecting at sites which WILL produce detectable size gold and 3) operator expertise. Of those 3, as Steve states, the latter is really the most important. A capable operator, using a long-obsolete machine, has a FAR better chance of finding gold then a newbie with the newest, most expensive machine available. So while personal preference's exist, and vary widely, and dealer bias exists also, the best recommendation you can follow is to become as knowledgeable as you possibly can about proper nuggetshooting techniques, and always employ them. Regardless of the machine you swing. That, above all else, will make you a successful nuggetshooter. As a side point, since Steve's post follows that of Chris', I would assume it was in response thereto. As regards dealer bias versus honesty and integrity, I telephoned Chris, asking the name of the person who claims to be a "White's dealer for a long time" yet who attempted to sell Chris other brands. Chris revealed the dealer's company, but I already knew who it was. For the record, that firm has NEVER been a White's dealer. Never. But he DOES promote the brands he sells... HH Jim

• Like 1

The basic technology and ability of VLF machines to find gold may not have changed in decades, but there are convenience and other factors that come into play with the newer machines.  For instance, the new detectors tend to have better LCD displays.  The new Equinox and Gold Kruzer seem to be the only VLF gold machines that are waterproof and wireless.  And much of the present discussion has dealt with the new auto ground balance/tracking systems of the 24K and GM1000.  I have seen signs on this and other forums that at least a few experienced users of the GMT and Gold Bug 2 have traded their machines for a 24k or GM1000.  Of course, that doesn't mean they will find more gold as a result but it does indicate they found some of the new features attractive.

On 11/12/2018 at 10:52 AM, Dubious said:

The basic technology and ability of VLF machines to find gold may not have changed in decades, but there are convenience and other factors that come into play with the newer machines.  For instance, the new detectors tend to have better LCD displays.  The new Equinox and Gold Kruzer seem to be the only VLF gold machines that are waterproof and wireless.  And much of the present discussion has dealt with the new auto ground balance/tracking systems of the 24K and GM1000.  I have seen signs on this and other forums that at least a few experienced users of the GMT and Gold Bug 2 have traded their machines for a 24k or GM1000.  Of course, that doesn't mean they will find more gold as a result but it does indicate they found some of the new features attractive.

Yes, the features do matter to people and in my opinion it is the best way to separate these models one from the other. There are key features some models have that others do not, and if one of these features is important to you than it makes weeding the choices down much easier.

high-frequency-metal-detector-gold-nugget-comparison-chart-2019.jpg
High frequency gold nugget detector comparison chart - click for larger version

World Bored With High Frequency Detectors?

Makro Gold Racer 56 kHz - $599 one coil

Fisher Gold Bug 2 71 kHz - $699 one coil

White's Goldmaster 24K 48 kHz - $729 one coil

White's GMT 48 khz - $729 one coil

Makro Gold Kruzer 61 kHz - $749 two coils

Minelab Gold Monster 1000 45 kHz - $799 two coils

Nokta AU Gold Finder 56 kHz - $799 two coils

XP Orx up to 81 kHz - $799 one coil

Minelab Equinox 800 Multi or 40 kHz - $899 one coil

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's a well known fact that the GMT has a rocket ship GB system where in most cases it can GB in one sometimes Two pumps of the coil of which got past on to the MXT that takes 1 to 3 pumps of the coil on a bad day, So I have very little doubt that the 24K has an advanced version of those GB systems If there could be such a thing,

People tend to forget that the GMT also has a Boost feature and built in Gain multipliers like those in the MXT where as you advance the Gain you get 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x, and 16x match that with the 4x Gain Boost switch gives you a "possible" 64x boost  the original target signal, If such features are added in to the new 24k along with those features already mentioned then I think that the 24K has the tools to make it one of the best VLF/LF machines on the market,

I always told White's that I wanted an MXT with the GMT frequency and features added to the MXT,  And I wonder is the 24K the end product of what happens when two well known detectors get left alone in a darkened R&D dept with a bottle of JD trapped in a storm after the office party ? mmm,  Shameless totally Shameless.  :ohmy:

I like what the 24k seems to be doing, but I am not sure how it compares to the GMT even more so when the GMT is fitted with a concentric coil, I know what such a coil did for my GMT 3 or 4 years ago, Only nuggets found in situ will be the real proof, I find It easy to find my test pieces because I know where to look, But how well would I do out in the wilds, Food for thought Ay.  

• Like 2

Roo Hide Kid, for the last 18 years the GMT was my "go to" VLF. Now the 24k is. MORE and BETTER features means more gold found, especially in "worked out" sites. I use the 6" concentric on my 24k; my detecting partner, who has also himself recovered thousands of nuggets with his GMT, likewise uses the (original) 6" on his GMT. On the SAME in-ground targets, side-by-side testing, the 24k outperforms the GMT. Yes, the 1/2 inch thinner profile of the 6 incher on the 24k helps get closer to the ground, but, really, I believe that the the greater power of the 24k, combined with the deeper-penetrating XGB ground balancing technology, is responsible for the better performance on the 24k. ESPECIALLY in highly mineralized Mojave Desert and Arizona soils. And I'm sure that the same will be true in Oz. And, SIDE-BY-SIDE comparisons are now possible due to the 24k's adjustable frequency option. Hope this helps; HH Jim

1 hour ago, Jimmy M said:

Roo Hide Kid, for the last 18 years the GMT was my "go to" VLF. Now the 24k is. MORE and BETTER features means more gold found, especially in "worked out" sites. I use the 6" concentric on my 24k; my detecting partner, who has also himself recovered thousands of nuggets with his GMT, likewise uses the (original) 6" on his GMT. On the SAME in-ground targets, side-by-side testing, the 24k outperforms the GMT. Yes, the 1/2 inch thinner profile of the 6 incher on the 24k helps get closer to the ground, but, really, I believe that the the greater power of the 24k, combined with the deeper-penetrating XGB ground balancing technology, is responsible for the better performance on the 24k. ESPECIALLY in highly mineralized Mojave Desert and Arizona soils. And I'm sure that the same will be true in Oz. And, SIDE-BY-SIDE comparisons are now possible due to the 24k's adjustable frequency option. Hope this helps; HH Jim

Yes no doubt it is a bit special and in skilled hands like your and Steve's these improvements are going to be highlighted for sure, us lesser mortals may see better results,  I put the 6x10 from the older GM II on my GMT and it was about 3x hotter than the Twin D coil on targets weighing less than 0.0002ozt, A target that size is almost impossible to see and even harder to find, Once located it took me 20 minutes to find it, Now I wonder is there a limit to what is a sensible target size when you compare the recovery time,  Do that 20-30 times a day and I am sure a person has earned their keep.

I am not knocking Whites or the 24K as anyone here will tell you I am a White's Man and every machine I own is a White's, Again will us lesser mortals see better results ? I doubt it, As pointed out The detector is just a link in  the chain, The skills that folks like you and Steve have is where the real performance lies. And In saying that if the 24K improves your daily score then hopefully it may double or even triple someone like me success or at leased that's what I can tell my self to justify buying one,