TDI Beach Hunter Deep Big Bling Ring

Hey Gerry  

That’s one great find ! It’s a fact that the man is no better than the detector he’s swinging in front of him . At the same time you need to know what your detector is telling you .

The BeachHunter is just another great product put out by White Electronic.

It’s a song that says You ain’t seen nothing yet and I believe the same will apply for White’s in 2019 .

Chuck 

• Like 1

Damn....it's King Neptune himself !!!!

Looks like he has downed his Trident in favor of the White's......and I don't blame him one bit.

This must be King Neptune when he's not using his TDI BEACH HUNTER....?

king-neptune.jpg.a267c1a23a71848a68bee39772de10dc.jpg

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Gerry,

Thanks for reporting on the new TDI Beach Hunter as there isn't much info available on the net or Youtube. A few questions come to mind: 

1. Does the TDI BH meet NASA Tom's 40% rule: an attribute that is at a minimum 40% greater/better than your best VLF ID capable unit? Is the PI 40% more sensitive at finding small & tiny gold or 40% greater depth on low conductors? 

2. The TDI BH doesn't have iron discrimination, did the high tone audio work well enough for your needs? 

3. The 12" Dual Field coil is designed for high sensitivity to small targets, deep penetration in salt and other mineralization. What were your thoughts on pin-pointing while in the water? 

4. What pulse delay settings did you find best for your detecting? 

I'm considering the TDI BH because it's available now, the TDI is a proven design and White's provides great customer service. RNB makes a great Li-ion battery pack, so no problem with detecting time. Thanks, 

Bill

• Like 1

Not Gerry but....

The TDI Beach hunter is just a TDI SL in a waterproof box. It is not new, and any performance questions can be answered by viewing similar questions about the TDI SL over the years (see link below). At most there may have been a tiny performance gain by going to a hardwired coil, but for all intents performance is going to be identical to the TDI SL. The TDI SL does also benefit from boosting the battery power via aftermarket batteries like the RNB Innovations (Reidman) battery packs.

You can toss the "NASA Tom 40% rule" if it includes a provision requiring a PI to be better at hitting low conductors than a VLF. Most any VLF can runs circles around a PI when it comes to sensitivity to small low conductors. That only changes when mineralization gets so severe a VLF shuts down, and under those circumstances a PI can pull ahead, but only because a PI handles mineralization better than a VLF.

White's TDI Information page

whites-tdi-beachhunter-waterproof-metal-

• Like 2

Steve,

I spoke to Gerry today and he has been testing the TDI Beachhunter in the salt waters and beaches of Mexico. He will share some stories and photos soon.  Based on early field reports, I have ordered the TDI Beachhunter and sent an inquiry to Reidman for the li-ion battery pack he makes.:whites::biggrin:

Bill

• Like 1

On 11/19/2018 at 12:50 PM, cobill said:

Gerry,

Thanks for reporting on the new TDI Beach Hunter as there isn't much info available on the net or Youtube. A few questions come to mind: 

1. Does the TDI BH meet NASA Tom's 40% rule: an attribute that is at a minimum 40% greater/better than your best VLF ID capable unit? Is the PI 40% more sensitive at finding small & tiny gold or 40% greater depth on low conductors? 

2. The TDI BH doesn't have iron discrimination, did the high tone audio work well enough for your needs? 

3. The 12" Dual Field coil is designed for high sensitivity to small targets, deep penetration in salt and other mineralization. What were your thoughts on pin-pointing while in the water? 

4. What pulse delay settings did you find best for your detecting? 

I'm considering the TDI BH because it's available now, the TDI is a proven design and White's provides great customer service. RNB makes a great Li-ion battery pack, so no problem with detecting time. Thanks, 

Bill

Bill,  Sorry I did not get to this sooner, was out of town again testing a coil and some new Settings.

My input to your questions is my findings at the beaches I used and different locations could (probably will) result in change.

1)  Yes the TDI beach Hunter is Deeper (on coins and most rings) than my Xcal, 3030 and Equinox in salt water.  Not sure it is 40%, but I  did notice the depth difference.  Sensitivity to small targets.  I found stud ear rings in the water with the TDI and that I did not expect from a PI.  Now I will tell you, the Equinox is even more sensitive to the tiniest signals, but when I use the TDI I'm mainly looking for rings and the extra Sensitivity to other jewelry finds was a bonus.

2) The Hi/Low Tone Feature is a Lifesaver and after a day and a half, I had to nailed down.  Even the iron hair pin (which does come in at a Hi Tone like most gold rings) I could tell from the pattern of the hi tone.  Not having to dig all the coins (low tones) is perfectly fine with me.

3)  My 40+ yrs detecting has taught me some pretty easy pin-pointing when compared to a Novice Hunter.  Realize a larger 12" will make multiple beeps on a surface target, so be sure to lift the coil 6" to 8" off the ground to get a single response.  This is also a good way to get a "gestimate" of target size and or depth.  I had no problems.  Again it was more Sensitive to smaller jewelry that I had expected, which is a win win.

4)  Pulse Delay Setting varies, but I try to keep it from 12 to 18.   If hunting a site and beach conditions/time permits, I'll be around 12 for smaller gold, but if I need to grab and go and after the gravy, then around 16-18.  Ground mineralization also affects the desired setting of Pulse Delay.  Realize the Ground Balance too is working with the Pulse Delay so there is no exact setting for all.

Word of caution on the Hi/Low Tone Identification System.  As you make bigger adjustments to GB and Delay, it does change the pattern of Tone ID, so again you are best to have a couple sample targets at your desired location and play with them, the detector and settings to learn what is ideal for that site.  Yes it could take you 15 to 20 minutes, but Detector knowledge at that site = Treasure Finds Success.

All ear ring finds in the photo were recovered with the new White's TDI Beach Hunter on the trip.  I'd say it certainly does have Sensitivity to small targets and that usually is not what a PI is best at.  White's did quite well again.

DSCN0369.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2