CTX 3030 On Gold Nuggets - Tips On Settings

sorry guys I couldn't post the exchange2 modes file 

It says wrong file type???????

Hey Gold Hound,

Thanks so much for your information on the CTX. I do not own one but I just made up my mind to get one as I do hunt many trash areas. My sole detector for gold is the 4500 and its been good to me, but a CTX as a back up for trashy areas would be a smart move. Thanks again !

Great post Gold Hound, thanks. Have you ever tried the 17 inch coil ?

BB

I have the 17 but I took it to Europe and left it with my treasure hunting kit because I hardly ever used it here in Australia.

And the 6in I gave to my friend and prospecting partner Tremain because he didn't have a small coil.

So I only have the 11 and the coiltek here in aus.

Great info, thanks for sharing! I now see why you are successful in chasing the weight, you squeeze every advantage out of your machine that it is capable of producing by thoroughly learning and experimenting with the settings. Most of us never reach this level of expertise with our detectors, the majority of us are "Turn and Go" junkies who never really realise what we are missing.

Many of us are in the same situation with the GPX 5000 and now with the introduction of the ZED are thirsting for some miracle settings that will give us some more depth and sensitivity, pray tell you have some?

• Like 1

Thanks for the great post, I for one would love to see your gold patterns. A link to them here would allow us to save them and then log into exchange 2 where they can be loaded and viewed. The CTX is a great detector and currently my only one. I live 20 minutes from vast amounts of tailings piles and recent posts here have the light bulb illuminating. Kudos for applying the strengths of the CTX and sharing your findings. Very encouraging!

• Like 1

On 3/24/2015 at 7:53 AM, Rege-PA said:

Great info, thanks for sharing! I now see why you are successful in chasing the weight, you squeeze every advantage out of your machine that it is capable of producing by thoroughly learning and experimenting with the settings. Most of us never reach this level of expertise with our detectors, the majority of us are "Turn and Go" junkies who never really realise what we are missing.

Many of us are in the same situation with the GPX 5000 and now with the introduction of the ZED are thirsting for some miracle settings that will give us some more depth and sensitivity, pray tell you have some?

There never will be miracle settings for the GPZ or most any other detector for that matter. You have to learn what the controls do, and the best way to do that is to use the machine. Each setting must be custom adjusted for each particular combination of ground type and gold. Anyone who uses a magic setting is a "Turn On and Go" junkie as you have described.

Even Gold Hounds suggestions are just that - suggestions that work best for his conditions.

Let's say you have a manual transmission car. What is the "magic setting" combination of gear setting and throttle setting that is best? Would that be third gear, half throttle, or fourth gear, one third throttle? It just depends on whether you are on a hill or not, whether you are passing someone or not. The gear shift and throttle exist with the sole intent of being adjusted as needed. So it is with the controls on your detector.

Some settings will never be more than educated guesses. On the GPZ I might use High Yield or General based on my best guess of the depth of the ground and the size of the gold I am after. Neither is right or wrong, it is just a judgement call based on experience and knowledge of the ground.

Some of us work solely in certain areas and so there really is a best setting for our situation. Somebody else somewhere else can settle on an entirely different "best setting". What works best for me in low mineral ground is not going to work best for somebody in extreme ground in Australia. Other people get around a lot, and so must be better prepared to adjust the machine for whatever conditions they encounter.

The vast majority of people I have encountered do not use their detectors enough to ever really learn what the controls do or how to properly adjust them. Reading has limitations. Read all you want about playing a guitar and you will get no closer to being able to play a guitar. Detectors are like that. You have to use them and use them constantly to stay good with them.

• Like 6