CTX 3030 On Gold Nuggets - Tips On Settings

• 2 years later...

Thanks heaps for the maps GoldHound, on the WA Goldfields at the moment doing ok with the 7000 but really wanted to get 3030 out into the oldtimers trash areas. Uploaded your high trash maps last night and headed out for the day. No gold but i am totally noob to 3030, but i must say the map handles the trash amazingly. Mild conditions today so not much noise. anyway finds included 50c piece a silver spoon and a 1935 Threepence. I must admit it was a awesome change from hearing the drum of the 7 lol and i liked it so much i ordered the coiltec 10x5. so thanks again mate happy hunting

• 9 months later...

What an amazing post @Gold Hound, I've just joined and grabbed your MLF, don't even have the detector or applications yet. Truth is I'm really new at gold detecting I hired a GM 1000 a week back and headed out to Bathurst & Ophir for a bit of fun......Totally hooked now!

Looking forward to my CTX 3030 arriving.

7 hours ago, fingers_ said:

What an amazing post @Gold Hound, I've just joined and grabbed your MLF, don't even have the detector or applications yet. Truth is I'm really new at gold detecting I hired a GM 1000 a week back and headed out to Bathurst & Ophir for a bit of fun......Totally hooked now!

Looking forward to my CTX 3030 arriving.

I would Get a equinox over the 3030 now. And read up on the equinox for gold posts on this forum.

This post is from 2016 a lot has changed since then.

• Like 2

On 6/14/2020 at 5:58 PM, Gold Hound said:

I would Get a equinox over the 3030 now. And read up on the equinox for gold posts on this forum.

This post is from 2016 a lot has changed since then.

Thanks for the reply so fast, the reason I was looking at the CTX is for the customization I can get specifically.

Is there a new Equinox model that provides the same level of customization like uploading the .MLF files?

Just now, phrunt said:

It's got a button, you press it and you're in gold mode, that's all you need to do 😉

Yeah, but I'm an AI Dev and the MLF files and range dynamics that the CTX show cased you know.....made me itch 😄

4 hours ago, phrunt said:

Seeing you're in NSW/Australia and wanting to find gold your best bet might be a PI.  A GPX has a gazillion settings you can play with if you like tinkering and it's capable of giving you good results, if you were primarily wanting to do prospecting a GPX will serve you far better than a CTX.

phrunt thanks for the feedback. Like i said earlier it's a new hobby, I see you've got a wide range of gear you've used before so it's good to have someone who's had that mix of detectors under their belt to pick brains.

Understanding VLF vs PI and hot rocks being a concern, the area's closest to me that being Ohpir, Bathurst & potentially up near Nambucca Heads for prospecting I would assume have a lot less hot rock density then the WA fields. I was originaly from WA, but got the old gold bug here in NSW.

Is the depth from PI vs VLF significant enough to warrant a GPX over  CTX given the price difference and then lack there of flexibility from the scanner?

I'm near the beach so assuming I could take the CTX to the beach, then out to gold prospect as I see fit with some 'SMART' dev work and tweaking using the MLF system to hone in on a gold setting that works well. @Gold Hound even already supplied an MLF file for a starting basis and there were other CTX users that supplied the FS, FE, FA & CS, CE, CA stats on an excel sheet, hoping to run some AI over this to assist honing the frequency adjustments with the MLF for gold specifically.

I guess being new I don't want to

1) Limit myself to 4-5 hour trips to use it out 
2) Have the luxury, hopefully by some smarts / time and tinkering to enable it to find gold via a custom setting and still be......decent in other scenarios.

All the reviews to date on the CTX have mostly been for coin etc, I was 'really' hoping that with some TLC / spending time tweaking settings it would be good enough for gold hunting out back and save myself a a few $2ish K having to go from a EQ 800  to a SDC 2300 or something also restricting my beach use?

Appreciate your feedback and expertise, because right now I'm just going of online research, which is one aspect compared to those who had it in their hands and 'KNOW', also the reason I jumped on here to get the feedback from users who have been out and about with.

It feels difficult to get the best of all worlds with them 😄

Hi Fingers

Only you can decide which detector will suit your needs.

But there is no way I would buy a ctx even back then just to hunt gold. My post was to assist any member who has a CTX to optimize it for gold.

The equinox is a way better detector all round than the CTX, don't worry about the cheaper price tag. Its running their latest multi iq technology. It way outperforms the ctx on gold.

If you are serious about finding gold I would find a good second hand GPX 5000 and run one of the modern spiral wound coils on it!

If you ask me the equinox 800 is the most versatile detector available, and is a very capable gold detector when used appropriately to suit it's limitations.

• Like 2

Here is an awesome post by Steve on the equinox for gold.

• Like 2