Alluminati

Another Good Video - 11 Reasons Not To Buy A Tesoro

Hi

I do not consider this to be an accurate representation of what a Cibola is capable of. I have already sent a PM to Calabash Digger about this video. Unfortunately he does not have the Cibola set up correctly for normal detecting. I will just say that the threshold knob should be set at least at the 1 o'clock position in order to properly detect high and low conductors and to allow each target to have relatively full audio responses. When the threshold is set in the off position the Cibola will have very clipped audio responses to most targets and can actually null out high conductors. I don't have a problem with anyone's personal opinions if they are based on accurate detecting comparisons. I own and regularly use both of these detectors and know very well what their capabilities are.

Jeff

The problem is it doesn't say anything in the manual about the threshold  being at 1:00 to be able to see a silver quarter, that would just be odd as that isn't what threshold does. (This machine is confusing in how it works) I can't comment on the silver quarter one way or another without one in my hand to try and replicate it, but you got to admit it's eyebrow raising.

The rest is spot on, the talk about nuance in a Tesoro tone is hilarious. I used to swing Tesoro and Fishers, you'd be lucky to get a bit of a crackle on a beer cap or something but that is pretty much it for nuance. It didn't have any interaction between threshold and the conductivity of target, not even slightly.

Calabash's videos are one of the few where you can watch them and get a true feeling about what the machine is all about in the real world, good when shopping for a new detector.

Hi Alluminati,

you should check the Cibola manual again under Threshold. It clearly states that one should adjust the threshold to somewhere between 10 o'clock and 3 o'clock depending on conditions and personal preferences. Without doing that, everything that happens in the video is the result of not engaging the threshold. Understanding what the threshold knob does is crucial to the optimum performance of the Cibola.

Jeff

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

10 o'clock and 3 o'clock depending on conditions and personal preferences.

It doesn't say anything about conductivity does it?

Or is this more of that Tesoro nuance I keep hearing about?

How do you know his threshold is not 10:00 to 3:00 o'clock?

Hi Alluminat,

this is getting to be an interesting discussion and I hope I can answer your questions. The Cibola is a 14.7 kHz detector. It is my understanding that  because of this it is inherently stronger at detecting mid to low conductive targets and weaker at higher conductive targets.

It is also my understanding that the threshold knob on the Cibola and the Vaquero provides audio volume enhancements in discrimination mode. If the threshold knob is set somewhere in the middle range the volume for all targets will be amplified and enhanced evenly. If it is set too high the audio can become distorted so that size of some targets in discrimination mode are amplified too much depending on depth. If it is set too low target volume will be diminished in loudness and length with smaller targets and higher conductive targets suffering the most to the point where they can become inaudible depending on how low it is set even at shallow depth.

I am able to zoom in on the faceplate in the video. The threshold appears to be set at minimum all the way to the left throughout the video.

I firmly believe that Calabash Digger did not have the threshold set optimally. I don't think he did this on purpose. I totally believe it was an honest mistake from being somewhat unfamiliar with the Cibola. I hope he can do the test again with the threshold set in the recommended area and with slower and longer sweeps. I generally enjoy and learn a lot from his great videos!!!!!!

thanks,

jeff

Yes maybe he could do the test again because the Quarter thing is odd.

I thought I recalled the manual stating to hold that red button down to set the threshold then release it. The Cibola "pinpoint" seems to be semantics for all metal if compared to other machine in the lineup.

I'll admit the pinpoint/discrimination interplay of the Cibola is tough to understand.

Hi Alluminati,

The Cibola/Vaquero threshold/discrimination/sensitivity circuitry is definitely interconnected way beyond my puny ability to understand it. I am no expert by any means and am still trying to understand what that threshold knob really does. I have had either a Lobo, Vaquero or Cibola off and on for the last ten years. Basically if all my other detectors are stumped by a target I grab a Tesoro for a different perspective. 

Thanks for engaging in this illuminating or maybe not, discussion!

Jeff

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Alluminati said:

What are you trying to say?

RTFM... ?