GPX Help For A Beginner Please?

Mattete;

When no one is looking try a DD coil, get your threshold dead smooth if possible, gain as high as you can get it without disrupting the threshold. swing so slow that it becomes boring and any interruption in the threshold needs to be investigated even if you think it's just your imagination. Use the same amount of concentration that you would use disarming a live nuclear bomb. AND ALWAYS EXPECT A NUGGET ON YOUR NEXT SWING.

Money back guarantee

If you don't find a nugget doing this within the next six months-I'll send you one.:

• Like 3

I honestly feel like I've found a nugget by finding this forum! Getting advice from pro's is amazing, but being informed what your doing so far technique wise is right is encouraging. If it wasn't nearly 2am and pitch black outside I would be hunting those elusive nuggets right now? Here in Bendigo Victoria, there are many persons armed with detectors and many people believe the town and its surroundings are thrashed? The main problem I believe is the tonnes of scrap metal left in the ground as a result of Bendigo's rich mining past e.g. Behind my house is crown land which at one point had a poppet head, and since getting my detector I've dug nearly 200kg of surface scrap metal being old jack hammer tips etc, this is just an evening play spot if I can't be bothered driving anywhere. Subsequently, I do try other areas most times I hunt, for which I will find that gold rich spot no one else has found, but until then I will continue being the good conservationist by removing the rubbish hiding the gold or other treasures and simply enjoy the exercise.

Going after trashy for those with the fortitude to slowly get it out of the way is a good strategy, provided of course that there is a decent chance gold is lurking. People with PI detectors tend to avoid trashy sites, yet mining camps were often built on the richest ground. You are in the right area for sure, just have to be persistent and keep at it. It took me years to find my first gold nugget with a detector, but once the first one happens, it is like a dam breaking loose. Many, many people report a similar experience. That first one is the hardest for all but the very few. Good luck!!

a few more tips....

Steve's Guide to Metal Detecting For Gold Nuggets

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

Tagging meself for this good info..

That link above with the detailed timing is a HUGE help. Thank you Steve for putting the effort into that. Great flash card.

On 3/26/2015 at 8:33 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

Going after trashy for those with the fortitude to slowly get it out of the way is a good strategy, provided of course that there is a decent chance gold is lurking. People with PI detectors tend to avoid trashy sites, yet mining camps were often built on the richest ground. You are in the right area for sure, just have to be persistent and keep at it. It took me years to find my first gold nugget with a detector, but once the first one happens, it is like a dam breaking loose. Many, many people report a similar experience. That first one is the hardest for all but the very few. Good luck!!

a few more tips....

Steve's Guide to Metal Detecting For Gold Nuggets

Same experience for me. Took me about two years to find my first one but they rolled in after that. A lot of it was just a morale and confidence booster. Once I discovered I really could find gold I just worked that much harder. Maybe harder than the two years prior. I wanted to find the next one, then the next one etc.

• 5 years later...
On 3/24/2015 at 7:11 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

I once talked to the engineers and suggested they develop a system of "automatic timings". The GPX knows enough to sense and adjust the ground balance. So it knows when the ground is bad. Why not just suggest to the operator based on what it is seeing what timing to use, or even have that adjust automatically on the fly? He thought it a great concept, but I think even then the GPZ was already on the drawing board so it went nowhere.

Seems my idea went somewhere after all, the new Geo-Sense on GPX 6000! :smile:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Seems my idea went somewhere after all

I was just about to quote you after I read that - thought the same thing!

Surely there must be some sort of a commission for a good idea like that?  🤔 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Steve ... ... when your keen opinions and ideas about detection and .... gold prospecting ..... over time I really realize ... / for example GPX 6000 / ..... it gives us all the faith ... that we can expect in the future ... even better detectors .. but they were available so far ..👍

• 2 years later...