New 15" Coil Weighs 580 Grams...

without the 80 gram scuff cover and 660 grams with scuff cover. The 11" coil weighs 524 grams with scuff cover. Added weight to front of Equinox 136 grams or 4.86 ounces. Equinox total weight with 15" coil 3.26 lbs.

The CTX 17” x 13.5” coil weighs 901.5 grams / 31.8 oz with scuff cover.

minelab-equinox-eqx-15-search-coil-bare-bottom.jpg
Minelab Equinox 12" x 15" DD coil

minelab-equinox-15-12-dd-coil.jpg
Minelab Equinox 800 with 15" x 12" DD search coil

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Dew,

The coil is plenty sensitive for gold prospecting but I have not used it for that yet. Since returning from the U.K. I have done very little detecting. I have done well with Equinox doing just about everything but jewelry detecting so that is probably where my attention will turn next though some prospecting is certainly still possible. Right now I am entering my “winter doldrums” however where other things tend to take priority over metal detecting so it’s of fairly low importance to me at the moment.

My one complaint about the coil? It is very light in weight. However, if you are dealing with rain or wet grass the coil can collect soil and/or debris, and this adds very quickly to the weight out front. While detecting in the U.K. there were a couple days where the coil just kept getting heavier until I stopped and cleaned it off. This is a problem for all coils, but is accentuated by the size and light weight of the new coil.

60BF48A8-71FE-4AA7-8A10-BD2A4C600751.jpeg

• Like 3

Ooops! I had the bare coil weight right at 580 grams but blew it on the scuff cover. 80 grams instead of the 8 grams I had noted down; slipped a decimal point. That makes coil and scuff cover together 660 grams. The original post has been corrected. Sorry about that and thanks to NSC for pointing out the discrepancy. ?

• Like 3

Here are the weights I captured of the whole detector with a calibrated A&D balance.

Equinox 800 11" Coil: 1320g, 2.91 lb

Equinox 800 15" Coil: 1485g , 3.274 lb

Difference: 165g, 5.82 oz, 0.3638 lb

My detector is a little dirty from a recent gold prospecting trip to the AZ desert, so the values may be slightly high. I didn't check for dirt under the 11" coil/cover, 15" is new and unused.

• Like 1