I dont like heat very much too i lived 2 years in French Guyana when i was in the army,went trekking to Madagascar and couples of time in Africa and same amount in the Caribean.I am taking all those advises on board,can't press the missus too much for an exact date she will think i am more excited than her :)

RR

Having prospected several times over the years in WA and your being new to it I suggest waiting till next April thru August and look into taking a gold tour out of Kalgoorie.  That time frame is the typical "Gold Season" as the deserts are mild at that time of year.  There are several outfits that do tours and some have detector hires available.  You'll need your own vehicle and a couple of weeks off but its a good way to gain a bit of experience prospecting in Australia. If you decide to give it an additional go, a good way to meet friends and have a go on your own later on.  Kal is about 8 hours strait drive from Perth and in the heart of the WA gold fields.  Lots of interesting stuff to see on the way out as well.

Until next gold season read up on prospecting and prospectors in WA.  Loads of information on it in the net and at the library.  Get a good detector for the parks there in Perth and get some practice in ?  Lot of lost kangaroo's and abo's to find while you wait.

Also you might want to check out this old thread authored by Fred Mason.  Lots of pictures and some info on the gold fields. 

• Like 4

Yep, it's about 400 miles East of Perth to get where you want to go. I go from late April to late October with the middle months nice and cool. My next trip will be for about 3 weeks....probably during May / June / July.

There's a big piece out there somewhere with my name on it........just need to sweep over it.....simple really.

Forget the summer months....the flies and heat are unbearable even with plenty of water.

Tony

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Update .........we will be based in Melbourne..........................so i guess i will prospect beaches,and train for half marathon at night......i google a few shops and ready to do some shopping

RR

11 hours ago, Rivers rat said:

Update .........we will be based in Melbourne..........................so i guess i will prospect beaches,and train for half marathon at night......i google a few shops and ready to do some shopping

RR

The Victorian Goldfields aren't too far from Melbourne

22 minutes ago, SteelPhase said:

The Victorian Goldfields aren't too far from Melbourne

Thanks!!!!!!! I waiting for some French gear to come early next week............may hit the beaches or just explore............it is a bit last minute now :)

RR

• Like 1

I ll be there from the 22nd Feb. up to the 10th o f march.........did try to contact a few "Tour" peeps but no luck .........next is maybe to contact a shop........anyway If I buy a Nox use it for 2 weeks bring it back to the UK and sell it I still could make a profit ,enough tot buy a pair of Redback boots.................................... :minelab:.

Gonna be fun

RR

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...