Recommendation To Minelab

Guest Tnsharpshooter

Guest Tnsharpshooter

I have experienced the following and have read where others have too.

The multi frequency is where it seems where most of the performance is with Equinox.

However there are times where using single freq can help like checking bottlecaps say with 5 or 10 kHz.

The problems comes in here where a user of Nox can accidentally leave their detector in singles freq ops hence they may lose out on the grand performances of multi freq unknowingly, hence miss some finds.

So it would have been nice if Minelab would have incorporated an alarm ( that user can select) if they choose that would tell them they are not in multi freq.  Mabe  even consider allowing time delay adjustable to some degree before it sounds in the event a user does go to single freqs ops.

This may of may not be achievable as far a small Equinox by way of updates, but future models using both multi and single freq ops, IMO it would be a nice feature to include.

David

39 minutes ago, ChitownDigger said:

On the 800, would it be possible to create a custom user program using only one frequency and simply switch between the programs?

Yes, that is easy to do on the 800. The problem that TNSS is referring to is that it is very easy to accidental press the wrong button and change to single frequency without knowing it. It’s also easy to hit the wrong buttons notch out VDI numbers or accidentally turn ground balance tracking on or off. These things are easy to do especially especially when wearing muddy gloves. I don’t think that there are any easy software fixes, maybe a future model could have a settings lock feature. I just make a habit of glancing at all of the settings on the screen as I’m detecting. It’s not enough to just check VDI and depth.

Joe

Never had a problem switching into the wrong frequency by accident. I regularly hit the mode button when I intended to hit the settings button however, and then have to cycle all the way back to where I was. I do wish the frequency button and user profile button were reversed... I might just mode switch more often were that the case.

• Like 6

My two....back light I forget to turn it off.  Glad the battery lasts.  Also I have to watch that I dont leave tracking on when doing a gb.  I do agree I’d rather have the profile as a button because I really use it when going in and out of the water.

I don't get needing an alarm. That is operator error. I would rather they continue to refine the actual electronics.

• Like 1

Would love to see all single frequencies available on all preset programs. (example -  40Khz on Beach 1 and 2).  More Noise cancel options would be great too. But in reality this machine has more than impressed me on it's capabilities on the beach. Now if any manufacturer could make a great pinpointer that does not false in wet sand and does not have a small speaker grill that clogs up instantly and is located where one puts their hand and is built to last, and can find very tiny targets (like the Equinox loves to find) and of course is waterproof...…. I would buy it instantly :laugh:

HN..... im not certain the Nox uses much of those high freqs for the beach settings in multi freq.   BUT i agree.... id like to see what the beach programs would do with the same freq ability as the other programs........ that means the ability to turn OFF the salt setting also.  There is a lot of difference in the chatter when the dry sand is damp between beach and the other modes..... so is that the salt setting or algorithms?   Salt setting when turned off makes a difference with the CTX in the dry sand.

Single freq is pretty obvious from a quick glance at the display.  Since I run Multi most of the time it always stands out if I am in single and I see the frequency displayed vs. the multifrequency "brackets" or whatever that symbol is.  It pretty much alerts me to the fact that I am in single if I didn't otherwise know that I was because the display looks noticeably different than normal.  Alarm not required imho.  Just my two cents.

I also agree with Steve on the swap of the user profile and frequency buttons.  That would be ideal based on how frequently I use User Profile vs. frequency switch.

If there was a alarm or alert provided, I wish it was like the beach mode high mineralization alert symbol but without any control function like in the beach mode which reduces transmit power.  Just something to let you know that there is high mineralization (in the absence of a mineralization meter which would be ideal but a significant modification at this point) present regardless of mode.  Since the warning symbol and algorithm already exist, it seems it would not be too difficult to implement without significant code changes.  Again just my two cents.

• Like 1

One option that might be nice is the ability to switch back to a single tier pin-pointer.

That way a user could select the low sensitivity, high sensitivity or use the auto sensitivity that it has now.

The pinpointer as it is now works well in areas that aren't congested, however in parks and relic digs, most would be better suited with a single tier that won't get pulled away by adjacent targets as much. 

I can get by because I have used FBS machines before, however I could see how others coming from other machines could struggle with it. There are targets that are difficult to pinpoint that I think would have been easier with a FBS machine or XTerra.

I know the Etrac would ratchet down, (Multiple tiers) I don't recall the specifics of the Xterra, but it worked easy enough.
Perhaps the Equinox is somewhere in between?

• Like 1