Sign in to follow this  
Steve Herschbach

Meteorite Crater Found Beneath Greenland’s Ice Sheet

“A giant crater that was formed when a meteorite smashed into Earth, has been uncovered deep below Greenland’s ice sheets. The 31-kilometre-wide cavity was discovered by an international team of scientists who believe it was caused by a “rare” meteorite that struck Earth as recently as 12,000 years ago.

Evidence suggests the crater was formed when a kilometre-wide iron meteorite penetrated seven kilometres into the Earth’s crust. Since then it has been buried under the thick ice of the Hiawatha Glacier in northwest Greenland. It is the first time ever that an impact crater of any size has been found underneath one of Earth’s continental ice sheets.”

Click here for the rest of the story

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Here's the video on it

• Like 6

12,000 to 3 million is quite a spread, but I suppose they'll soon have it pinned down.  Well, a bit larger and we wouldn't be around to worry about things...

Here’s where a meterorite crashed down about 7-8 miles from where I live.  Wonder if the ground shook in my area when this baby hit??

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2018/04/10/tennessee-flynn-creek-crater/

1 hour ago, Tnsharpshooter said:

Here’s where a meterorite crashed down about 7-8 miles from where I live.  Wonder if the ground shook in my area when this baby hit??

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2018/04/10/tennessee-flynn-creek-crater/

Most certainly.  In fact, that impact with the ground may not even have caused the largest shock wave.  Often, meteorites explode in the atmosphere before impact.  The 2013 Chelyabinsk meteorite was originally about 20 meters diameter; but it exploded miles up, leaving only relatively small pieces to impact the ground.  Even with the atmosphere absorbing most of the energy (500 kilo tons TNT), the shock wave broke thousands of windows in nearby towns and threw people off their feet.  On youtube, there are a bunch of interesting videos from dashcams and security cams. 

http://www.tulane.edu/~sanelson/Natural_Disasters/impacts.htm

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Lunk
      Got out to Franconia early this week. My main objective of course was to score some nice space rocks, but I also wanted to try out White’s new Goldmaster 24k VLF unit to see how well its proprietary XGB automatic ground tracking would handle the extreme variable ground in the northern half of the strewn field. Anyone who’s searched this area with a VLF detector knows how tedious it can be dealing with the endless volcanic hot rocks, and while the 24k handled the ground matrix extremely well and running a low sensitivity eleminated a lot of the hot rocks, there still remained plenty of them to deal with. Although I did find one half-gram iron with the 24k, with all the hot rocks it was hitting I just couldn’t cover enough ground to increase my odds of making a good find.

As many of us detector operators know, in hot rock hell pulse-induction and zero-voltage transmission technologies are king. So I put away the VLF and brought out the Minelab GPZ 7000 equipped with the 19” coil for maximum ground coverage...time to get serious! With a quick adjustment I was able to ignore all but the largest and most insidious hot rocks and cover a ton of ground, netting me several small irons and 2 stones at 27 grams and 75 grams. But the best part was just enjoying the peaceful serenity while roaming the wide open spaces of the Franconia strewn field, and even spotting a wild burro.

• By Kevin Walenciak
      I found this strange rock at a South Florida beach today.  This was pretty far away from the water, at a volleyball court.  It was fairly deep in the sand, I would say a good 10 inches.  It feels abnormally heavy, weighs 76 grams and a magnet does stick to it.  Both my PI metal detector and Pro Find 35 pin pointer go nuts near this thing- the Pro Find 35 makes the ferrous metal sound.  Does this look like something I should send out for verification?? With luck, this could help fund my future purchase of an Equinox 800...  🙂 

• By mn90403
      On my way to Rye Patch last Thursday morning about 1:17 AM I was on 395 and observed a meteor or 'fireball event' that was just incredible.  I now see that there is a video that does not do it justice.  Before I put a link to that video and those reports let me tell you what I saw and how I reported it.
      This is what I saw:
      About 20 minutes north of Ridgecrest on 395 I had just gotten out of my car.  As soon as I opened the door I could see it coming.  It was several objects burning in the sky with 6-7 separate streaks.  It was a dark night and no moon.  It was perfectly clear where I was and I thought I was just looking at a huge screen TV.  The height seemed to be that of a commercial jet but this was much larger.  It didn't remind me so much of a meteor as it did space junk.  I guess we'll find out more about that later.
      It was just a coincidence that I stop at this particular time and place.  I probably would not have seen it or I would not have seen as much of it if I was still in the 4Runner.  Most of my report is in the report itself.  
      So, what do you do when you see an 'event' of your own?  Well, I drove all night to go looking for some gold at Rye Patch so that is what I did.  That night I had to sleep.  The next night I had a chance to get on the computer and ask the question 'What was that?'  Where do you go, what do you do online to report something?  As it turns out you go to REPORT A FIREBALL at the American Meteor Society.
      https://www.amsmeteors.org/
      When you get there you can click on Report a Fireball.  You will get asked a series of questions to describe what you saw in a technical way that will let the software develop a map of the event as you and hopefully many others saw it.  You can upload pictures and video.  You can also search for events from all over the world.
      So, I reported and I didn't see my report with the others.  As it turned out there is a pending report file and if you don't state it as they are compiling it then your report will not be added.  I now knew my event number was 4094 so I edited my report and it was added to the 29 others and still counting.
      It was a very, very neat experience.  The video now posted on YouTube is only 1/100th of what I saw.  I had better than a front row seat.  I was in the middle and there were no heads or clouds in my way!
      Here is the report link:
      https://www.amsmeteors.org/members/imo_view/event/2018/4094
      Here is the video:
      https://www.amsmeteors.org/videos/?video_id=1445

Mitchel
    • By Steve Herschbach
      A US professor has established a rock used as a doorstop is actually a meteorite worth thousands of dollars.
      Mona Sirbescu from Central Michigan University was asked by a local man to inspect the object he had kept for 30 years after finding it on a farm.
      The 22lb (10kg) meteorite was the biggest the geologist had been asked to examine in her career.
      The rock, which came down on farmland in Edmore, Michigan, in the 1930s, could be worth $100,000 (£77,000).“
      For complete article go to https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45765458

• By Daniel
      Sorry for a maybe dumb question, but just what is the draw of meteorites?  I understand that it is unique and interesting but is there any other reasoning?  I am not saying monetary returns but more like registeries or some acknowledgment of finds etc?  Again I apologize for this if dumb.  I mainly got interested in detectors for gold as I am getting a little fragile with age and no longer play like mountain goats.  I am brand new to detecting but just from reading this forum I have decided coin, beach, jewelry hunting may fit me also.  I understand relics and "old" items from history.  But rocks from space?  Now if they were large enough to mine that another story, but I would want to find it here on earth unless it fell ages ago.  A dinosaur didn't like theirs. LOL  Thanks, Dan
    • By phrunt
      For anyone in Perth, Australia area who likes to hunt for meteors it appears you have a new target.
      https://www.news.com.au/technology/science/space/giant-burning-fireball-stuns-aussies-in-western-australia/news-story/475255315b8bb8a20934655cdc6b635d
      There is a good video of it on that news site showing it coming down, not far from Perth.