The Question Even Drayton Can't Avoid

Alluminati

Well two things come to mind. Out on the beach and the day before we had a really good earthquake. A lady in good spanglish, dead serious, asked me if I was trying to figure out when the next earthquake was going to happen. My answer....Si, un muy grande in cinco hours. 

#2 Had the typical stalking heckler following me, Dad and son...getting the beep beep noise [from them] and have you found any gold bottle caps ......blah, blah. Would cha know it, that the scoop I was doing has a medium thick gold neck chain dangling off the front. I looked at them smiled and said "that was a good beep beep"........   

If you have spent any amount of time swinging there is no limit on lip service.

Dave

• Like 1

On 11/18/2018 at 11:27 AM, staffydog33 said:

My view, like it or not....Gary Drayton is, IMHO, a bullshi**er!

Claims to have found 8+ ounces of gold in a weekend in florida on the beaches, and on his site, claims to have literally found absolutely STACKS and STACKS of gold, spanish gold etc etc...BLAH friging blah!

BUT...a video of him, even finding ONE SINGLE PIECE OF GOLD on a beach????

NOPE. NOT A CHANCE. Doesn't exist.

Sorry, but unless I see at least ONE video of him doing a real live dig of even ONE GRAM of gold...I CALL BULLCRAP!

Matt

Yeah I have to agree with that.  He was on The Travel Channel on Josh Gate's Expedition Unknown looking for Spanish treasure and Gary pulled out an emerald and gold Spanish ring that he said was valued at a half a million dollars.  I know for a fact that Gary didn't find that ring, because it's been on other TV programs from years ago on the same subject.  So no idea what was going on there.  

That said, I'd love to have a crack at some of that treasure coast Spanish treasure !!

• Like 1

On 11/21/2018 at 6:21 PM, ~LARGO~ said:

The most ignorant...lol...thing anyone has said to me when the saw me metal detecting was, "get a job"...  In my mind

I think, to myself, "if ONLY those  people KNEW just how MUCH this metal detector cost..."  In most instances my metal detector

cost MORE than their car...go figger...

The irony is that around here half the people I know that are detecting are darn well off, one sold off a storage company to HP years ago (pretty sure he's not hurting), another owns a street sweeper business and lives in Monterey, yep pretty sure he's doing ok, I know several that work in hi-tech, actually pretty much everyone I know that detects either has a good job or is retired.  Shows how ignorant the world is I suppose, but that's one reason I don't enjoy hunting around lots of people, it's just not relaxing to me, and god save you if a group of kids starts following you around.  Don't get me wrong, I like kids and all that, but geesh it's like having a traveling puppet show - lol 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

...nice guy but IMHO he just doesn't have the knowledge.  Period.   I can think of a hundred guys whose book I would read first.  Sorry call em as I sees em.

cjc

On 11/23/2018 at 5:21 PM, cjc said:

JUST MY OPINION BUT DON'T YOU NEED AN ACTUAL TREASURE TO BE  A TREASURE HUNTER? 

CJC

In regards to the show or in his personal career?

7 hours ago, cjc said:

...nice guy but IMHO he just doesn't have the knowledge.  Period.   I can think of a hundred guys whose book I would read first.  Sorry call em as I sees em.

cjc

Your mistake was being so quick to release your Equinox book, then scrambling to release a second book with apparent "new" information. It was new information in the sense you didn't give the first book enough time to soak, chapter 2 might have been a more appropriate title. 

I follow him on google plus where he gives out a couple of good tips fairly frequently, free of charge. They are useful tips too, not some non- sequitur teaser.

IMO Gary Drayton could be considered the best detectorist in the world, of the ones that we all know about. It depends on the criteria as a hard core nugget hunter may choose someone else. Gary is a prolific and world class "treasure" hunter. 

A guy like Bill Ladd would be a close second. His finds don't have the same sparkle as some of Draytons, but the guy can produce in the north east.

Third place would be myself, nobody can make something appear from nothing like I can. I don't have the finds of Drayton, or recycled pictures of rings like you do, but if we were ever on the same site I would detect circles around you. You better hope I never make it to one of your beaches, it will look like the surface of the moon when I'm done with it.

3 hours ago, Alluminati said:

In regards to the show or in his personal career?

Your mistake was being so quick to release your Equinox book, then scrambling to release a second book with apparent "new" information. It was new information in the sense you didn't give the first book enough time to soak, chapter 2 might have been a more appropriate title. 

I follow him on google plus where he gives out a couple of good tips fairly frequently, free of charge. They are useful tips too, not some non- sequitur teaser.

IMO Gary Drayton could be considered the best detectorist in the world, of the ones that we all know about. It depends on the criteria as a hard core nugget hunter may choose someone else. Gary is a prolific and world class "treasure" hunter. 

A guy like Bill Ladd would be a close second. His finds don't have the same sparkle as some of Draytons, but the guy can produce in the north east.

Third place would be myself, nobody can make something appear from nothing like I can. I don't have the finds of Drayton, or recycled pictures of rings like you do, but if we were ever on the same site I would detect circles around you. You better hope I never make it to one of your beaches, it will look like the surface of the moon when I'm done with it.

Professionals don't leave ANYTHING looking like "the surface of the moon". 

Dave

What was the question Gary couldn’t avoid? “Did you throw down another ancient artifact for us to find”? Lol!

Just kidding Gary. You know I love ya! Actually, Gary is the only reason I’ll watch any part of the show. Only because he’s using a detector.

• Like 1

you guys--I publish a book with the forword by Bill Lahr and Ty Brook--half of you don't even know who they are.  no shortage of blowhards in this hobby and from what I m seeing you seem to admire one another--how convenient.  And thanks for filling me in on how the publishing business works.   Speak , oh oracle...

• Like 1