The Question Even Drayton Can't Avoid

Alluminati

25 minutes ago, cjc said:

you guys--I publish a book with the forword by Bill Lahr and Ty Brook--half of you don't even know who they are.  no shortage of blowhards in this hobby and from what I m seeing you seem to admire one another--how convenient.  And thanks for filling me in on how the publishing business works.   Speak , oh oracle...

I never bought your book because of how belligerent you came across as in your posts over the years.

thats okay--I don't write for "the crowd".

cjc

1 hour ago, BeachHunter said:

I have a number of your books CJC and have benefitted from every one of them.

Keep up the good work my friend.

BH

Thanks BEACHHUNTER--great to hear from earth.   It can be a tough and frustrating hobby at times--that's the guy I write for.  Good Luck Detecting,

clvie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cjc said:

Thanks BEACHHUNTER--great to hear from earth.   It can be a tough and frustrating hobby at times--that's the guy I write for.  Good Luck Detecting,

clvie

Thank you sir. Best of luck!

BH

I've found that in a discussion forum format nothing good ever comes from expressing opinions that are hard to ever substantiate because they are so subjective, unlike detector performance or debating hardware specs which can somewhat be backed up objective test or finds evidence, and even then it is often left to personal perception.   That's why I attempt to refrain from casting doubt on another person's detecting skills, the authenticity of their finds, their detecting level of knowledge, or ability to articulate that knowledge in writing.  I try to avoid using the phrase "you're wrong" and try to let facts take care of the rest, especially if I am being personally attacked with false information that can be factually refuted.  It almost always degenerates into the side-taking divisiveness and borderline (or worse) personal attacks, braggadocio, and no-win arguements which I think goes against the general tone and spirit that Steve had established on this site to avoid the what other detecting discussion sites have devolved into.  Am I always successful in following my own advice.  Nope.  But I do try to stop myself from crossing the line of personal attacks, even when defending my position.

I shake my head ruefully when I see that this started because people questioned/defended the abilities of the detectorist who is named as the subject of this thread (originally meant to be humorous, btw) but who is NOT EVEN PARTICIPATING IN THE DISCISSION!  Incredibly ridiculous IMO.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

I always successful in following my own advice.  Nope.

In fact, one can legitimately argue that I violated my own advice by posting what I did, because my point of view on the issue is by definition subjective and opinion, so I will just own that right now so don't bother making a point of it.  But just had to get it off my chest.