I Was Told Once! Scuff Cover Repair

If your not wearing out a coil cover once a month your doing something Wrong. So Yes I'm a scraper detectorist that rarely lifts the coil.

Well true to form. Not more than a month of owning my GPZ 7000 the Coil cover ( skid plate ) Was in need of urgent repair with heaps of holes worn towards the front edge.I can not buy a replacement for love or $$$$ down here in Australia so I did what I always do and used a two part secret mix we use in my business http://www.suresealshowers.com.au/ to patch it while a replacement is on order. however long that takes who knows.

Below is what I have done ( first stage )before sanding. Works well with beach coils so cant see why it wont this time.

ad...

post-577-0-36769500-1427298504_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I wonder does altering the coil in any way void the warranty? Or are you only covering up the cover itself and leaving the coil untouched?

I usually put Amazing Goop on my coils since I destroy the covers so quickly as you do but I usually cover a lot of the coil rim and not just the cover. I'd like to do the same with the Z coil. I'll check and see.

I think, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, that carbon fiber would attenuate or otherwise alter the signal if it was on the bottom of the coil as it is slightly conductive.

But it might be a good addition to replace the tops of the coils to save some weight maybe, or the big plastic part inside that prevents the windings from moving and falsing?

• Like 1

I think, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, that carbon fiber would attenuate or otherwise alter the signal if it was on the bottom of the coil as it is slightly conductive.

But it might be a good addition to replace the tops of the coils to save some weight maybe, or the big plastic part inside that prevents the windings from moving and falsing?

They use carbon paper in some coils on the top as shielding, so no good underneath!

I just silicone a piece of 3mm lexan plastic that I cut to shape in stead of the the standard coil cover and it lasts years not one month like the standard coil cover.

Just make sure that you cut it 5mm bigger all the way round to allow for edge wear.

• Like 1