Complete Carbon-fiber Shaft System For The Equinox...

steveg

Steveg.....a  3-three-piece telescopic shaft, would be optimal, and on a 4-piece golden mask I pull out the third part only 5-15 cm. What about the fixing collar on the Equinox handles - I would stick on the top shafts of your shaft - a fixed stainless steel circle - that would fix the teeth of the equinox handle ... I would have made a tighter and more massive fit on the surface of the handrail and could hold on to the powerbank ... so the length of the shaft could reach 55-60 cm.

Steve... I tried telescopic once as a shaft.  It might work with the Nox because of the hole required for the handle.  On others ... since the shaft were tapered it made it hard to keep the handle tight because there wasn’t a consistent OD surface.  Hey how about those fittings that someone showed on here that fold up?

EL NINO -- 

I agree that a telescopic solution would be optimal.  I think, if I understand correctly, you are suggesting an "adapter" of sorts, that would attach to the upper rod, and allow the control-box handle to attach to that ADAPTER, as opposed to attaching to the upper rod directly?  I assume the purpose would be to eliminate the problems associated with that "nipple" that protrudes into the upper shaft -- and thus permitting a middle rod the ability to "telescope" into the upper rod?

Dew --

Tell me more about what you are saying; I am not following.  You said you "tried a telescopic shaft," before, but it "wouldn't allow the handle to be kept tight due to inconsistencies in the O.D. of the shaft."  But I think you are currently using an Anderson shaft with your EQX, and the Anderson IS telescopic, right?  So I must be missing what you mean by saying you "tried a telescopic shaft once."  We must be using a different definition for "telescopic shaft;" to clarify, I refer to, for instance, the CTX 3030 shaft as being a "telescopic" shaft -- since one shaft piece slides up into another.  Please help me to better understand what you are referring to. 

Along those lines, I am not sure what you mean when you say "telescopic might work on the Equinox" due to that "hole required for the handle."  To me, that handle "nipple" that fits into that hole is what would make a "telescopic" idea NOT work, on the upper portion of the EQX shaft, as that nipple "blocks" the inside of the upper rod, preventing a "middle" rod from sliding up into the upper rod...

As for the "folding" fittings, I seem to recall someone posting those, but didn't look real closely, as I wasn't thinking about them with respect to a possible "travel" shaft design at that time.  I guess that would be another possibility?

Steve...... in attempt to find a lighter shaft that moved better in the water for the Xcal i tried one of those telescopic FISHING POLES.  Which as i mentioned was tapered and the handle just didnt keep it tight.   But did move well in the water.  You are right...... that nipple not allowing more of the shaft to go up further would be an issue......... unless you cut a grove and used it as method to stop movement much like a spring clip.

yes im using an Andersons...... always liked their shafts even for the Xcal.   BUT..... you sure have made an impressive shaft too.

• Like 1

Dewcon,

OK, now I got what you are meaning, by "telescopic."  Makes sense now.  Thanks!  That would have been an interesting experiment -- but sounds like it wouldn't quite work, with the handle issue being the problem.

Also, very interesting thought there, about using that nipple on the bottom of the handle as an advantage, instead of an impediment.  It makes some sense that it might be able to be utilized for "alignment."  Hmm.

Meanwhile, I have been trying to think through some possible ways to make a threaded stainless coupler an option for a "travel rod," that you, or afreakofnature, might think would possibly be useful.  A roughly 1mm thick rubber "washer" or "grommet" added, where the two threaded pieces come together/meet, when tightened, thus utilizing the rubber's friction to reduce any tendency for the coupler to accidentally loosen/unscrew while detecting?  A very tight-fitting silicone-like sleeve that could be slid up and down on the rod -- such that a user could slide it down over the connection point to keep sand out (that probably wouldn't work; just brainstorming)?  Bottom line is, that threaded connector approach -- if it could be made to be a solution that doesn't suffer from any of the issues you two point out -- would be the easiest way to produce a travel shaft, for those interested in such a shaft.  Hmm...

Oh, and thanks for the kind words, Dew!  

Steve

El Nino --

That is a nice-looking shaft setup!  Looks like you went with a one-piece carbon-fiber LOWER rod, that telescopes up inside the Minelab upper rod, totally eliminating the middle shaft section.  I'm still not following, though, what you did to eliminate the problem of that "nipple" on the bottom of the handle, such that your lower rod will slide into the upper.  Are you saying that you trimmed/cut that nipple down to where the nipple is only about 1.5mm long?  That way, it still fits into the HOLE in the upper shaft, but is now too short to protrude down THROUGH the hole and INTO the upper shaft -- thus allowing the lower rod to freely slide into the upper?  

That is a very interesting approach, and intriguing idea.  The only issue for me to offer such a solution/product (i.e. an extra-long lower rod, that telescopes into the upper) would be that I am not sure how many folks would be willing to permanently "alter" their control box handle by trimming down that "nipple" to 1.5mm in length, or whatever.  For anyone who WOULD be willing to do that, I'd be willing to build them an extra-long one-piece LOWER rod, that would telescope into the upper.  The only other issue would be that if using the Minelab upper section in such a setup, where an extra-long, one piece lower shaft is used, is that there would need to be some spring-button holes drilled into the upper shaft section, to allow the extension length of the lower rod to be adjusted per user preference?

Steve

Ha!

Thanks for the kind words, Del!  

Obviously I'm not sure on a "travel shaft" design yet, as this is a kind of new thing which has come up; I wasn't thinking a "three-piece" travel shaft would be "in demand" -- as I figured that anyone needing to travel with the EQX would simply use the stock three-piece.  SO I wasn't expecting a lot of demand for a "travel shaft."

BUT, meanwhile, I have high hopes that the "one-piece" upper shaft that I'm working on, which will of course incorporate the lowers already being made, is going to be a pretty nice one, that I think people will be pleased with.  I expect to receive the parts I'm waiting on from the two different companies this week -- which will include two slightly different -- but overall very similar -- clamping cam locks, which meet my specifications/design requirements.  After some evaluation/testing of the two prototypes (specifically, the two cam locks), I expect to be ready to begin production.  The "accessories," (the counter-balance system, in particular), I hope/expect will follow shortly thereafter.   

I really appreciate everyone's input, through the process.  Thanks!

Steve

• Like 1