Complete Carbon-fiber Shaft System For The Equinox...

steveg

8 hours ago, steveg said:

El Nino --

That is a nice-looking shaft setup!  Looks like you went with a one-piece carbon-fiber LOWER rod, that telescopes up inside the Minelab upper rod, totally eliminating the middle shaft section.  I'm still not following, though, what you did to eliminate the problem of that "nipple" on the bottom of the handle, such that your lower rod will slide into the upper.  Are you saying that you trimmed/cut that nipple down to where the nipple is only about 1.5mm long?  That way, it still fits into the HOLE in the upper shaft, but is now too short to protrude down THROUGH the hole and INTO the upper shaft -- thus allowing the lower rod to freely slide into the upper?  

That is a very interesting approach, and intriguing idea.  The only issue for me to offer such a solution/product (i.e. an extra-long lower rod, that telescopes into the upper) would be that I am not sure how many folks would be willing to permanently "alter" their control box handle by trimming down that "nipple" to 1.5mm in length, or whatever.  For anyone who WOULD be willing to do that, I'd be willing to build them an extra-long one-piece LOWER rod, that would telescope into the upper.  The only other issue would be that if using the Minelab upper section in such a setup, where an extra-long, one piece lower shaft is used, is that there would need to be some spring-button holes drilled into the upper shaft section, to allow the extension length of the lower rod to be adjusted per user preference?

Steve

Steve....I would do this as follows: If you do not want to wear an excerpt on the bottom of the Equinox handle, you can make your own  bottom handle part..- of 1.5mm -2mm less lowered protrusion.

Novemner21 iphone 5S 2018 032_DxO.jpg

Novemner21 iphone 5S 2018 031_DxO.jpg

• Like 1

Dew --

A stainless-steel lock washer would certainly help; not sure on reverse threads, but "thin" threads would definitely help; the threads on my stainless-steel couplers I use for the CTX travel rods are VERY thin...

twopiecerodconnector.JPG

El Nino --

Very interesting idea...

Thanks for sharing these thoughts/ideas!

Steve

Dew --

Interesting thought.  I don't shoot a bow often, but I do have one, and I do have a stabilizer on it.  The concept is similar to what I've been planning -- something that "threads on," to offer improved balance.  I will take a look there, and see if there are any interesting things I can glean.

As an update, I'm still waiting on shipment of my parts for the prototype shafts.  UGH!  The two companies I am working with are blaming being "swamped" due to "end of year" orders for the delay, but the bottom line is that things are frustratingly slow right now.  I am hoping for good news soon....as I can't wait to not only evaluate the prototypes, but ALSO to continue forward with the design on the counter-balance system (as I need a completed shaft, before I can really work on the counter-balancing ideas...)

Steve

• Like 1

I use to shoot competition 3D Archery and have several carbon fiber target stabilizers and probably a pound in weights I've gathered over the years.  The part of interest would just be the end cap with thread bolt that the weights screw onto as that is all that it is.  You can even go buy longer bolts to add more weight to. You've got me wondering now how I could make this work with the stock Equinox rod and add some of my weights to the back and make it perfect balance. Target archery stabilizers are just hollow carbon rods with end caps on them.  

The weights they make specifically for them are very expensive for some reason. I've never figured that out.  Most come in 1 ounce stacks...some companies offer them in half ounce stacks though.   I like that idea...and having the ability to add or subtract weights by just screwing them on or off a bolt is a plus.  You could balance it for the stock coil or 15 inch coil very easily.  

• Like 1

While you guys figure out counter balances, I was happy and pleased with getting ahold of Steveg and ordered 2 of his Carbon Fiber Lower Rod Ends for the NOX 800. One for the 15" x 12" coil & one for the 11" coil , I figured the 6" coil would be fine on stock lower rod end. Steveg had both coming to me same day we talked, and they will arrive here in Alaska by end of week. Nice job Steveg !!!!   :biggrin: Not set up for Nevada / Arizona hunts yet, BUT the treasure coast is just a plane flight away !!!!!!!!!!!!!  :cool:

Happy Hunting

• Like 2

Daniel TN -- what you are describing is exactly the "concept" I'm working on, though "implementation" will be a bit different.  In my mind at this point, short lengths of carbon-fiber tube, that thread onto the back end of the upper shaft is essentially the exact concept I'm working with, BUT with different weighting requirements to be accomplished by different-length tubes (with different amounts of weight therein) being the way I currently plan to do it.  But yes, I plan to offer several different weights (length of tubes) for the different coils, etc.

Dig It -- THANKS for the kind words!  I appreciate your business, and look forward to confirmation that you've received the rods, and are pleased with them!  ?

Steve

• Like 1