MX Sport 749.00 - ? - Equinox 800 899.00

I actually prefer AA or some other replaceable battery.  It's easy to carry spares in case they run down in the field. And you can also use rechargeable types, so no real downside. With built-in lithium ion batteries, you risk trouble with airlines, and you can't carry spares (yes, I know, there are power packs you can carry, to recharge in the field, but a hassle).

Note that Minelab's state-of-the-art SDC2300 uses ordinary C cells.

I suppose everything is moving to sealed li-ion batteries because of size/weight factors, but there are definitely cons...

• Like 1

Just imagine that SDC2300 in a super light waterproof housing with changeable coils and built in rechargeable battery.  It just doesn’t seem “state of the art” in its current configuration to me, besides it’s ability to fold up.

58 minutes ago, Dubious said:

With the Goldmaster 24k, I believe the box under the arm cuff just houses the AA batteries.  That's a reasonable way to do it, IMHO, for a machine that is not waterproof.  The alternative would be to have the S-shaft hollow and thick enough at that point to incorporate a battery holder inside, with separate legs underneath for stability (like the Minelab Etrac and others). For a much more unsightly hanging box, look at the Minelab GPX 5000.  It seems to sell all right in spite of it ?

Yep, the GPX looks like a small tank, but that box actually sits better on the ground than the Equinox. It's footprint is measured in feet :laugh:. With all the different machines out there, you would think that someone would make a better detector stand that you could just clip on. 

I’m starting to look like a real downer here and I don’t want to be that guy.

Im just saying I don’t think the future is big clunky boxes filled with AA or worse yet C cells.  Look at the power that resides in our smart phones.  I have seen the light with the Equinox and it’s design.. It will take quite a jump in performance to get me to lay down money for a detector that is all wired up, clunky and heavy.. We have the technology to to do better then that.  

Bryan

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 12:45 AM, Ridge Runner said:

Both the MX Sport and the Equinox 800 are waterproof and that’s about where the two are alike ends.

Now if we want to put the detectors that have the option to run in different frequencies then how would you place them in price? I speaking about the ones that have other frequencies but still run only one at a time .

Now remember the Equinox is at the top with a price of 899.00 and a true multi frequency.

Would you want to slip it in between the Sport and the Equinox in price? Maybe we could lower the price of the Sport and place the ones we’ve been talking about in it’s spot..

Just thinking out loud but everyone has their own opinion.

Chuck 

Given the choice I would still pick the Equinox. If I was new to the hobby and did not pick Garrett, then I would probably pick White's,  but only if the price was lower. I'm not sure that machine can compete between the Equinox and the Deus and still sell enough of them to remain profitable. But an odd thought just came to me...We all think that this is Minelab's top of the line unit. What if.... it is their entry level machine and they are holding back with releasing their mid and high end units in the $1500 - $3000 range respectively?? What would that do to the MX Sport and AT Pro units sales? I still think the MX Sport has potential, but with a price closer to the Equinox 600.

On 12/1/2018 at 2:40 PM, Cabin Fever said:

AA batteries are old school too.

Perhaps, but it's not uncommon for detectors with 4-AA's to run 30-40 hours on them, their inexpensive batteries, available everywhere,  super light so easy to have a spare set in your finds pouch for the field,  and there's tons of rechargeable AA battery options.  

• Like 2

Actually even if this were a discussion about the MX Sport $749 vs the Equinox 600 $649, I'd take the Equinox 600 all day long, there's simply nothing the MX Sport can do the EQ600 cannot, and lots that the EQ600 can do that the MXS cannot. 

• Like 3

On 12/2/2018 at 2:48 AM, Cal_Cobra said:

Perhaps, but it's not uncommon for detectors with 4-AA's to run 30-40 hours on them, their inexpensive batteries, available everywhere,  super light so easy to have a spare set in your finds pouch for the field,  and there's tons of rechargeable AA battery options.  

Since the Equinox can be charged on the fly using a rechargeable cell phone charge bank that costs about the same as an 8 pack of Duracells and that you can actually now pick up at any 7-11 (if you did not have the foresight to store it in your gear bag in the first place, attach it under your arm rest with velcro or rubber bands if you have to to keep on detecting) the whole AA replaceable  battery emergency power "advantage" really is old school or at least so 2017.  Besides, I've never run the Equinox below 2 bars in ANY all day detecting session since I've owned it. 

Finally, what was the first thing that failed on my MX Sport after 2 years of very light usage?  Ironically, The battery compartment plastic mounting posts for the screwed on end cap housing failed, rendering the detector neither waterproof nor functional (something that gets regularly stressed when you replace the batteries or remove them for off season detector storage).  To their credit, Whites stood behind their detector warranty though it did cost a pretty penny to ship it back for repair, but the build quality/design obviously has some weak points.  Whose to say at this point at what types of failures the Equinox will sustain 2 years on, but at least I know I won't be stressing the battery compartment by replacing non-rechargeable batteries on a regular basis.  Just my take.

• Like 1

Guest Tnsharpshooter

I can say this straight up.

Might be a good idea when a manufacturer is designing/engineering a detector to show the audio it makes off to quite a few folks..early on (neutral folks).

How in the world the MX sport got the audio it did is beyond me.  It stinks big time !!!! A step backwards not forwards vs older older models they made. A $700 Box of rice crispies.  They couldn’t copy MXT audio?  

Btw I gave my unit away. Seriously - here....http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,113779,113779#msg-113779