Twelve Days At Rye Patch

Lunk

Lunk,

Great job once again on the DEEP ones.

You know the right areas and the proper techniques.  Did you use any 19" this time?

I'll tell people a little bit more ... Lunk sleeps on the patch when he is there.  He has no reason to leave for days.  He is DEDICATED to perfecting his skills.  

I'd like to say I retained more than I did after a day with him but my performance in the gold fields is lacking.  Funny thing about the gridding tho ... I know it works on the beach.  I slow walk and overlap there but don't seem to go even slower in the desert.

Maybe at the Dale.

Mitchel

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

WTG - Lunk you are a digging machine.  

18” digs are never a lot of fun, particularly when you have to dig it wide enough for fitting the 14” disk.  Kudos for hanging in there, proving yet again that patience “rules” @ Rye Patch. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mn90403 said:

Did you use any 19" this time?

Just the 14" coil this time, Mitchel.

9 hours ago, flakmagnet said:

I wonder if, when you have a moment, you could quickly describe how you go about how you grid an area and how big the areas usually are.

Depending on the terrain, my grid areas are typically squares with sides around 30' to 40' in length. Using line-of-sight, I simply detect between two bright orange soccer cones placed on opposite sides of the square, moving them along the sides until the entire square has been covered. The process is then repeated at 90 degrees.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

It took me awhile to be able to overcome the impulse to wander, but I’ve learned that gridding these old patches is guaranteed gold. They’re typically small bits, but once in a while the law of averages kicks out a bigger lump.

• Like 5

Very impressive pile...…!!!!!!

• Thanks 1

On November 21, 2018 at 12:37 PM, Lunk said:

Indeed Simon, but I use a secret weapon in flogged areas: slow and careful gridding; most operators can’t even stand to do it for a half an hour, let alone all day for days on end. But in these kinds of areas, it’s the most effective way to maximize your gold recovery.

I am curious of following up with the gridding of 90 degrees.  Do you find more gold once you switch directions, more often than not?  If so, it makes sense that this should be done in gulches, too.

I was at a recent patch (really it was just a rich gulch) and I had flogged it multiple times.  After checking gully after gully up to 1/4 mile away and coming up dry, I thought to myself, "what would Lunk's settings do on that area I pulled up all those nuggets, there must still be some there".   Well I went back there, adjusted the settings to Audio Smoothing = High (and the other settings) and found a couple more pieces that were clear as day.  So thank you for you sharing your earlier information on settings.  :biggrin:

And as the others have already said ...  Really Awesome Finds!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Kiwi is right; if you really want to squeeze every nugget out of an area, it’s best to also come back at it 45 degrees. Althogh it’s usually not much,  I do find more gold by cross gridding.

Andyy, I’m glad  you were able to find more nuggets with my unconventional settings...sometimes it pays to experiment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chaining an area used to be popular, so i have read, lol.  But with the Z seems like you cant do that anymore.  I grid too, but man is it tough to stay focused especially if you go hours with nothing.  But detecting is a patience game of extreme highs and lots of low, gotta be stong willed.  Never tought of griding gulches though, gonna try that now in a couple spots that i was just going right up the gut in.

• Like 3