Twelve Days At Rye Patch

Lunk

Low and slow is great if you are trying to get gold that was left behind by other detectorist. If you are trying to live off your finds, then you need (say 1 ounce a week or may be 1 gram a day) then you have to cover enough ground to get that amount. If the ground is good you are best to slow down if poor then you have to go faster to cover enough ground to get your yield. In poor virgin ground you are not getting what other people have missed be cause they have not done it. The main thing to do is use the lightest chain (or marker) that will give you a workable grid line that will disappear quickly so as not to attract any one else to your pay packet.It pays to over lap evenly  and keep at a constant low working height with your appropriate coil. Some of my good patches, I gridded were over 800 meters long and wider than 100 meters when the gold yield dropped off I then hit the best spots LOW & SLOW in the opposite direction. It all depends on your decision how to work the ground. What is best, leave a few crumbs behind or leave most of your patch behind?      You have to be as cunning as a  ?

• Like 6

too true, Geof! for hunting new ground...but, Lunk has specialized in wringing gold from worked-ground. I bet he works unknown ground a little different-but, he can speak for his self.

On my second trip to Oz in WA I followed behind a lot of chaining tracks...I think that person just liked dragging a chain because there was plenty of nuggets in his wake....

fred

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Heck,  I missed a 1/3 oz'er?  That my friend is a dandy from RP and just goes to show..."it is never hunted out".  I will say this though.  If you are not using an SDC-2300 or GPZ-7000, the gravy train left.  Yes you can still find an occasional piece or 3, but the amount of time spent drives most folks to craziland and then back.

My last trip there (end of Oct.) netted me 34 grams of nuggets myself with the 7000.  So YES there are still good days to be had.

Thanks for sharing Lunk and thanks again for helping get our customers up to speed.  Not sure if you know, but Brian found 9 nuggets with his GPZ after our class.  I have a gut feeling he will become a great nugget hunter.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Thanks for sharing Lunk and thanks again for helping get our customers up to speed.  Not sure if you know, but Brian found 9 nuggets with his GPZ after our class.  I have a gut feeling he will become a great nugget hunter.

Yes, I hunted with Brian after the class was over, and he's totally in club Zed now.

• Like 1

Thanks guys!  I enjoyed learning new things from you guys as well as reinforcing things I learned on my own.  I hope we can meet up and hunt together again in the future.  I'm itching to get the Zed out more and the snow is here for me now.  Winters for me are research research research (with hopefully a week to AZ :biggrin:)

BTW pulled a grammer out of the gulch with the SDC before the snow hit.  My hands are still cold digging in that water :laugh:

• Like 4

On 11/21/2018 at 11:51 AM, Lunk said:

Tis the season for nuggetshooting the great American desert southwest once again, and for the first leg of my annual pilgrimage it’s always mandatory to spend some time at the Rye Patch area in northern Nevada. With the ground being very dry this time of year, the GPZ 7000 performs at its best in this region with minimal interference from the conductive alkali component of the local ground. In areas where there was variable ground however, a quick adjustment of the Ground Smoothing from Off to Locate Patch returned the threshold to a smooth and stable operation again. One of the highlights of the hunt was a decent, broad target that had a hint of a gurgle as the coil was swept completely out of the target zone, which indicated the nugget was going to be a bit larger than the usual dinks I had been finding. After removing  8 to 10 inches of material out of a broad area centered over the target, the signal response was fairly screaming as I swung the coil flat against the bottom of the excavation. Turning the coil up on edge however, and the Zed struggled to get a response from the bottom of the hole; when this scenario happens, it’s telling me there’s a really nice nugget and that I have a lot more digging to do. ? Finally, at a depth of 18 inches, the target was screaming off the edge of the coil, so just using the plastic scoop, I dug into the floor of the mammoth dig hole and retrieved the golden beauty: a lovely 10.6 grammer!? This same process was repeated on another occasion, but this time it was a 4.5 gram nugget about 3 inches away from another nugget about half its size, again at around 18 inches deep. Although pretty nippy in the mornings, the sunny weather held out with no wind. So all in all, a super good hunt, with a total of 51 grams of golden goodies.

772D7471-5DB6-40AF-B6D9-1A217075E668.thumb.jpeg.c4cee0aede395bd54303d635d4f1e057.jpeg

Amazing recovery of beautiful gold! Nicely done as you sure have some unique pieces there.

All the best, and many congratulations,

Lanny

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lunk said:

Tis the season for nuggetshooting

Well, I think we need some lyrics for the Twelve Days Of Nugget Shooting so ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1