Findmall Closes All White’s Forums

3 hours ago, tboykin said:

As many of you know forums cost money to maintain, and some forums will not host company-specific sub-forums if the company does not offer financial sponsorship. If you choose to look at this as paying a toll, well that is one way to see things.

. . . 

Well, Facebook's loss.  I trust White's is putting the money saved there into better use somewhere else.

On 11/26/2018 at 8:12 AM, tboykin said:

This is also true, though it can be more difficult to find relevant info on Facebook/Instagram/YouTube. The great thing about forum posts is that they should in a perfect world last forever. I can't tell you how many times I have found good detecting tips, vehicle maintenance, or construction advice on a post that is 5 plus years old. Good luck finding the same info on Facebook's infinite scroll!

I prefer Forums to Facebook, their just better organized and easier to find what you're looking for in general.

That said, you can actually do a decent search in a FB group, and further refine it with filters, but I agree that it's generally much easier to find stuff on a well run and organized forum, such as this one!

• Like 1

On 11/23/2018 at 2:48 AM, Geotech said:

I also don't pay any attention to social media, but you & I are in the minority. That's where the younguns hang out.

At a recent dealer convention we were promised 35 new or revised machines. We actually got to see 1 prototype and 1 rip-off from another company. Even the Big Dogs steal bones.

In stead we got all the social media CR@p and 1 figure stood out for me. Those kids with a prostetic cell-phone attached to their fore-arm on average check Facebook 40 times a day. So that is where todays marketing is focused.

Our current CEO couldn’t tell you the difference between dull and sharp side of a unit. We sell Stihl ? And they live in clean hospital white offices crunching turnover numbers and discounts on their laptop.

Even the good old manual has gone extinct and been replaced by an APP.

Within the near future I see the mechanic becoming extinct as well. Parts are becoming increasingly expensive. Add some labour to it and they are cheaper off buying a new one with a loyal customer deal.

Times are changing,... 

I vote for the forums format, this one is great, never have and never will visit mindless social media. Shame that so many folks have been spent so much of their time on them.

• Like 3

In the forums/social media shakeup, those that stay in the forum game will reap the rewards. Forums that stay focused on organizing information, and filtering trolls without becoming draconian about their rules will survive and grow. This is one of those. Forums like Findmall, TreasureNet, etc will die out with the old timers due to their own silliness, draconian style, and focus on the bottom line rather than the hobby itself. I like the combo myself. I like coming here for serious business (research, fruitful, engaging,conversation) and organization, and I like the freedom of social media. The endless scrolling of social media is the reason good forums will continue to exist in the short term, until social media learns to provide methods to organize. Serious troll free engagement is the reason some will always survive. 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Some parts of Findmall are still quite active, mainly for those that are offering new or innovative products or at least improvements to current platforms.  The ones that are stagnating are little more than information sources and with next to no technical discussion - not surprising with some current detector platforms pushing towards or beyond a decade old now.  Whilst VLF tech seems to have reached a peak, still no excuse not to further refine some detector platforms, especially with regards to offering selectable frequencies on US made detectors.

• Like 1

Guest Tnsharpshooter

My personal opinion.

This forum and one other I know of have something in common.  Something I value highly.

What exactly?

Seems this forum is beholden to NO manufacturer.  Meaning as long as threads and posts are constructive there seems to be no BRAND LOYALTY stench here.  No sponsors it seems who could/can have direct or indirect influence on exaclty what is posted on this forum. And if there are indeed sponsors of metal detecting gear here, I don’t see their influence whatsoever as far as what is posted here subject matter wise.

Steve has a good forum here.