Findmall Closes All White’s Forums

Guest Tnsharpshooter

Doing google searches with topic and findmall.com in the search window still accesses info.

Link deleted since Findmall Forum update broke all old links

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

I wouldn't say that, there are many people including myself who have no intentions of ever getting involved in social media websites like Facebook.  They're not what I would consider a go-to place for information.

I also don't pay any attention to social media, but you & I are in the minority. That's where the younguns hang out.

• Like 4

Whites disappearance from that forum is still not a good look from a marketing perspective, probably leaves more questions than answers for those that enjoy Whites products.  Some say social media offers more freedom of speech over forums, though there are always the minority that just can't help themselves by abusing that privilege at the expense of others.   

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Geotech said:

I also don't pay any attention to social media, but you & I are in the minority. That's where the younguns hang out.

I stopped posting on most Facebook forums and don't do Twitter or other social media sites. But from a business stand point, social media is part of how the world works these days. It is here to stay (unfortunately) and any manufacturer that ignores it is only hurting themselves in the long run. I think it is a bad move for White's.

• Like 1

FindMall...or shall we say FeeMall is strictly operated as a for profit venue, highly sensored, to the point that you cannot even mention a vendor that doesn't pay the toll to the Guvnor, or post your youtube video if it has ads.  Nothing wrong with controlling everything I suppose, if it's your rodeo you can run it how you see fit, but at some point, the time for the clowns and the acrobats and the dancing bears will  pass.

• Like 2

As many of you know forums cost money to maintain, and some forums will not host company-specific sub-forums if the company does not offer financial sponsorship. If you choose to look at this as paying a toll, well that is one way to see things.

I think this is a testament to Steve's DP forum in that he spends so much time as admin doing work for free, and we all reap the benefits of the platform!

Carl and a few others pointed out the reach of social media being farther than forums. This is also true, though it can be more difficult to find relevant info on Facebook/Instagram/YouTube. The great thing about forum posts is that they should in a perfect world last forever. I can't tell you how many times I have found good detecting tips, vehicle maintenance, or construction advice on a post that is 5 plus years old. Good luck finding the same info on Facebook's infinite scroll!

But the times they are a-changin' and whether we like it or not, more people spend their time on social media than forums. This is backed up by traffic statistics as well as growth numbers across multiple channels.

It is sad that this particular forum in question decided to nuke the White's forums, but even sadder still is that very few people will notice (present company excluded, who prove by their presence that forums still serve a valuable purpose).

• Like 7